VR Gaming

Soldato
I haven't properly played any games for years but since getting Oculus Rift DK2 I am loving the occasional hour or 2 when I can. VR is real next gen gaming
What are your favourite games that run great without judder or tearing?

Mine are;

Lava Inc - A rollercoaster sim you control just with moving your head forward and backwards to speed up and slow down and looking around

Cyberspace - VR Pirate ship that goes over the top. I didn't think my stomach would end up in my mouth just from using a VR headset. It did

HellWaltzer - VR waltzer, similar to above but go around in circles. I stuck my housemate on it when he was hungover and he had to run to the bathroom. haha

Quake (QuakeSpasm-Rift-v1.91) - Fluid VR inside possibly my favourite game of all time. Many different VR options including head aiming. Whats not to like

The Mental Torment Episode One - This is the most creepy thing I have played on rift so far

Live for speed (LFS) - Great driving sim, actually the only driving sim. F1 needed. Fun to stick your head out the window!

Half life 2 - The first time I looked down the gun and closed one eye, I thought, Wow. As I did when a barrel exploded and wood came flying in my face

Alien Isolation - Requires a pretty beefy PC (~150 fps@1080) to play but damn it is a fantastic VR experience. Good look with CV1 as you will need to sustain ~600fps @ 1080p to play it! (4k & 120hz so going on 4 x 1080)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Why has VR gaming not taken off as hoped?

I'm guessing it's because of how game publishers have tried to cash in.

This only a small selection but how many of these games do you already own?

Skyrim?
Fallout 4?
Serious Sam: The First Encounter?
Serious Sam: The Last Hope?

So how would you feel about having to pay this?

Skyrim VR £40
Fallout 4 VR £40
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter £30
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope £30

Rather than just release a patch or offer a pay for it VR DLC many Developers/publishers are taking old games and charging new game prices.

This is why VR isn't taking off as well as hoped with gamers. Some games are supporting it at no extra cost, examples being Project Cars, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Obduction & Subnautica to name a few but publishers like Bethesda are destroying any hope of it going mainstream through greed.

Associate
I didn’t try the Dk2, but VR gaming has taken over flat gaming for me, the only non VR games I play are DayZ, PUBG and RUST, and all of which i wish I could play in VR.
I used to play mostly FPS games, but I will NEVER play a flat FPS again, once you’ve ducked into cover, ejected a magazine, inserted a fresh mag, cocked the gun and jumped back into the the firefight with your heart pounding out of your chest and the adrenaline flowing through your body, you won’t want to press ‘R’ on a keyboard again. Sorry driven games are also amazing, Lone Echo is a masterpiece in story telling and immersion, and only VR could do that.

My favourite VR titles are:

SuperHot - I feel like bad ass!

Lone Echo - incredible!!!!

Bullets and More, Pavlov VR and Onward for my VR shooting fix

Looking forward to Skyrim VR and Budget Cuts

Soldato
OP
Serious thread resurrection! Guess it is Easter, rise from the grave like Jesus!

I don't think I asked why VR gaming has not taken off, did I?

Dirt Rally was the only game that was properly playable really but I sold my CV1 long ago. That said, I miss Dirt Rally. VR made the cornering so much easier as VR added sort of depth perception or feel of the corners that a flat monitor did not provide

Associate
Serious thread resurrection! Guess it is Easter, rise from the grave like Jesus!

I don't think I asked why VR gaming has not taken off, did I?

Dirt Rally was the only game that was properly playable really but I sold my CV1 long ago. That said, I miss Dirt Rally. VR made the cornering so much easier as VR added sort of depth perception or feel of the corners that a flat monitor did not provide

Dirt Rally is minted in VR, but so is Pcars 2

Associate
Resurrected with a trolling thread no less.

Who has decided VR gaming hasn't taken off as hoped.

And what hopes did they have?

Facts or figures rather than a vague annoyance at Bethesda?

Soldato
I really want to get into VR but am a bit lost as to what i'd need.

My current rig is an 2500k @ 4.4ghz, GTX970HOF and 16GB RAM, is this enough?

I don't have wads of cash laying around so what sort of kit should I be looking out for on the MM to get started?
Probably is enough for some oldies like LFS. But you need to beef your GPU to play more recent VR titles, 1070 or more (nothing is overkill in VR land).

Soldato

I don't have wads of cash laying around so what sort of kit should I be looking out for on the MM to get started?

To get started, your system is fine.

Associate

See if you can find a used Oculus deal like I did. I paid £227 for my Rift, no touch controllers though, at the time and it was worth every penny.

Your GTX 970 will run all of the fun VR arcade type games fine and it'll give you a taste of VR and what your machine is capable of.

If you want to play racing and flight sims or some of the bigger releases then you'll probably want a bit more grunt. I'm still struggling to find a good setting to play Project Cars 2 in VR with a GTX 1080.

But don't let that put you off, it's as much me being a fussy tinkerer than anything else.

Soldato
See if you can find a used Oculus deal like I did. I paid £227 for my Rift, no touch controllers though, at the time and it was worth every penny.

Your GTX 970 will run all of the fun VR arcade type games fine and it'll give you a taste of VR and what your machine is capable of.

If you want to play racing and flight sims or some of the bigger releases then you'll probably want a bit more grunt. I'm still struggling to find a good setting to play Project Cars 2 in VR with a GTX 1080.

But don't let that put you off, it's as much me being a fussy tinkerer than anything else.

Cheers for the replies guys!

What model numbers am I looking for? Anyone point me in the right direction for research?

Soldato
OP
You will need an 'Oculus rift cv1' or 'HCT Vive'

Your system is fine for playing most VR games, you may just need to drop some settings in sim games. Dirt Rally will play fine with some setting dropped a bit - It's the best game IMO and well optimised.

Also good fun - Windlands, WEARVR-ultimate-booster, Affected v1.62. There was a game where you started chained up and had to get get free by using a man to undo the chains. I can't remember the name but that was great fun and really showed what could be achieved with VR

Associate
To echo what others have said I have a 2500k, 480 8GB and 16GB RAM. Performance for me has been good, though granted I haven't tried dirt or pcars and don't use any super sampling. All the games that come with the rift+touch bundle will run fine with similar performance I'd imagine, and will keep you going for a decent amount of time before you feel the need to buy more games if you're strapped for cash.

Also one thing to remember is that, for me at least, VR isn't just about the graphics. It's about being 'in' the game for want of a better description. Sounds cheesy I know but it really is a different way of gaming. I still do both.

Soldato
OP
Correct, its very much about max FPS - No point in it looking nice if it judders so much you feel sick after a minute!

Caporegime
Most people are priced out of VR on the PC, that's why everyone should appreciate how hard Sony is pushing PSVR as it can only have a positive effect on the entire platform.

Soldato
To echo what others have said I have a 2500k, 480 8GB and 16GB RAM. Performance for me has been good, though granted I haven't tried dirt or pcars and don't use any super sampling. All the games that come with the rift+touch bundle will run fine with similar performance I'd imagine, and will keep you going for a decent amount of time before you feel the need to buy more games if you're strapped for cash.

Also one thing to remember is that, for me at least, VR isn't just about the graphics. It's about being 'in' the game for want of a better description. Sounds cheesy I know but it really is a different way of gaming. I still do both.

Yeah i'm not too fussed about maxing out games, have only just bought these bits from MM so yeah, im not chasing max settings :p

Soldato
If you haven't tried VR before, I'd just suggest you avoid driving games until you have your VR legs. Motion sickness can be really off putting, so stick to games with teleport sion locomotion until you feel comfortable pushing the boundaries a bit. I can play driving sim fine now, but I used to go proper green after a minute or so at first.

Soldato
OP
Most people are priced out of VR on the PC, that's why everyone should appreciate how hard Sony is pushing PSVR as it can only have a positive effect on the entire platform.

Arcade VR is what consoles are good at - Games such as Dirt Rally which are still fun and easy in VR and provide a good, quick VR fix

PC however is where the area really opens up as you get tech demos, full on Simulation games (thinking DCS world) VorpX drivers and hours of messing around trying to get none VR games to work, even if only slightly in VR :D

Back
Top Bottom