VR Gaming

Soldato
OP
If you haven't tried VR before, I'd just suggest you avoid driving games until you have your VR legs. Motion sickness can be really off putting, so stick to games with teleport sion locomotion until you feel comfortable pushing the boundaries a bit. I can play driving sim fine now, but I used to go proper green after a minute or so at first.

I would ignore this advice personally. Avoid anything where your body is moving in game but it's not in real world - FPS is terrible in my opinion. Rollercoasters are also a no go (but fun none the less)

Driving games work really well because you are seated as you would be in real life and can stick your head out the window if you like (very fun) I found a game called 'LASERFACE'to be great fun and no motion sickness at all

Soldato
Well, by all means give racing sims a go, but I found lurching around corners or hard braking pretty chunder inducing at first. You may be seated, but it looks like you're moving, rotating, changing pitch, etc all quite rapidly, which can be disorienting. Just a heads up.

Soldato
Well, by all means give racing sims a go, but I found lurching around corners or hard braking pretty chunder inducing at first. You may be seated, but it looks like you're moving, rotating, changing pitch, etc all quite rapidly, which can be disorienting. Just a heads up.
I found turning "world movement" off in project cars 2 helped a lot with motion sickness.

Soldato
VR gaming has been dead in the water since its inception.

Far too expensive and very little software to make it worth your while.

Associate

It's not dead in the water, more of a toe in the water. VR is still at the prototype stage, buts it's a much more viable prototype than previous generations. And there are competing viable headsets which are driving development.

Far too expensive...

I agree, though in part it's due to the inflated price of GPU's and memory. IMHO this is one of the main things holding back VR - even if you buy a VR headset, it's prohibitively expensive to build a system to run it.

...and very little software to make it worth your while.

I think that's changing - Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, Fallout 4. It's not amazing, but there's enough software out there to establish VR's viability.

Soldato
It's not dead in the water, more of a toe in the water. VR is still at the prototype stage, buts it's a much more viable prototype than previous generations. And there are competing viable headsets which are driving development.

I agree, though in part it's due to the inflated price of GPU's and memory. IMHO this is one of the main things holding back VR - even if you buy a VR headset, it's prohibitively expensive to build a system to run it.

I think that's changing - Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, Fallout 4. It's not amazing, but there's enough software out there to establish VR's viability.

I play Elite dangerous, but the cost of a vr head set is enough besides the cost of a gaming rig to run it.

Its far too expensive to enjoy, I can imagine its fantastic when you get everything sorted but the price, I would say about 2 grand and that's at a push.

I do have a gear vr but am not going far with that. :(

Soldato
I play Elite dangerous, but the cost of a vr head set is enough besides the cost of a gaming rig to run it.

Its far too expensive to enjoy, I can imagine its fantastic when you get everything sorted but the price, I would say about 2 grand and that's at a push.

I do have a gear vr but am not going far with that. :(

It isn't, provided you have a gfx card that can run most games reasonably well then you're only looking at the cost of the headset package, and maybe an optional extra sensor for the rift.

I'm on the same pc I bought in 2011 with the addition of a 970 and it runs everything fine in VR bar one game, which was fine till its last update. The 970 I had before vr, it wasn't bought to make it work.

If you have no pc whatsoever then yes its expensive, but I've never known anyone to buy a pc purely for vr.

I'd do at least a little bit of research before making such sweeping statements tbh.

Soldato
I have a 780ti at 3gb and 8 gb of ram, I would have more but its incompatible with my current ram.

Also I only have a 2500k over clocked to 4.5ghz so its not really going to cut the mustard so to say.

Soldato
so you arent that far out of the specs then, if you look at any time other than the last 6-8 months you could have got a good deal on a 2nd hand 970,980ti on the MM which would see you pretty. Plus the last oculus package that went on there the other day was about £230.

Soldato
VR without the right specs is a headache to say the least.

I agree you can pick up cheaper from MM but my pc is over 7 years old and I would be pushing it.

Its needs to be done right or not at all, I choose not at all. ;)

Associate
I have a i7 4970 and a r9-290. And it plays everything perfectly fine, ok on lower setting on some of the higher demanding games, but once immersed in VR the graphics just don’t matter.

Your PC is fine, if anyone’s considering VR, go for it!

If your planning on getting Rift though, make sure you run the compatibility checker, ignore any possible CPU/GPU/RAM warnings, there nonsense, the only thing you need to check is your USB’s, if you get a warning you need a Pcie USB adapter (google intatech 4 port USB adapter, that’s the one you want)

Soldato
Crikey so my single 980 will be ok? I was waiting to upgrade.

I take it you still need loads of space?

Depends what youre playing bud.

Flight sims and racing games, no, as long as you're aware of where you put things (spilled a beer into my keyboard tonight :/)

Rooms scale stuff, atm I've only got 0.75x 1.5m, so while its not ideal I stand with the back of my legs against the bedframe, I know where I am in the real world whilst playing, but more is definitely better.

As long as youve got space to wave your arms youre fine

Soldato
Depends what youre playing bud.

Flight sims and racing games, no, as long as you're aware of where you put things (spilled a beer into my keyboard tonight :/)

Rooms scale stuff, atm I've only got 0.75x 1.5m, so while its not ideal I stand with the back of my legs against the bedframe, I know where I am in the real world whilst playing, but more is definitely better.

As long as youve got space to wave your arms youre fine

Thanks mate :)

Could I run say 3m of cable into the lounge from my rig? I’d have plenty room then...

Soldato
Thanks mate :)

Could I run say 3m of cable into the lounge from my rig? I’d have plenty room then...

USB wise for the sensors yes, I had a 3m running to the back of my room for my rear sensor.

You'd need all 2 or 3 sensors in that area and enough length on the headset cable to do the same, that would be your limiting factor.

Soldato

Far too expensive and very little software to make it worth your while.

It's clearly not dead and it's not too expensive for everyone. Considering how mind-blowing the experience is, I thought my Vive was a bargain, and prices will only come down as adoption increases and units are mass produced. This is the future, of course it starts slow, what were you expecting?

Soldato
Crikey so my single 980 will be ok? I was waiting to upgrade.

I take it you still need loads of space?

Yes, don't wait any longer!! VR is awesome.

More space helps, but if you have room to stand up and swing your arms, you will be able to play most things.

Back
Top Bottom