Waiting for bike to drop to normal idle level from startup

Soldato
I normally put the helmet on, start the bike, put gloves on and then I'm off. 30 seconds at the most. The bike is normally running at 60 degree by the time I reach a national speed limit section about half a mile away and at full temperature about a mile later.

Soldato
It might be an older bike with carbs, if it's cold then he'll have the choke on to start it, then in for a a little while as carbs typically run like crap when cold.

Mine revs at 3k with the choke on fully but even then I'll only have it on full choke for 30 seconds maximum, choke down to half and then ride away.

Modern fuel injection systems will have the revs high for a few seconds after starting, so it's probably an old bike.

Also, what feels like 3-4 minutes is probably 60 seconds, and if it's a big v-twin, maybe an old Ducati then it will be loud no matter the exhaust. And at 6am everything will seem louder.

Same with my old Suzuki 1100. Full choke from stone cold runs around 2,500-3,00 RPM. Only needed for 15-30 seconds before you can drop to half choke and then will idle nicely at 1,500 RPM. Even with a "race" baffle, it's not going to annoy anyone unless they're stood right behind it.

Pull away within a minute from cold and the choke can be dropped right of by the time I get to the junction at the end of my road.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies - it seems leaving to idle is not the norm - and the bikers sub-forum is more friendly than the normal motors one

when it happens again I'll try and time - to see if its just me thinking its minutes or it really is minutes and its super anti-social

then I'll take it from there

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom