Want to get into coding but need an answer first to my mind boggling question

Soldato
Learning the language is the easy bit, creating the programs is the difficult bit. I would just download and install the free version of Visual Studio and then google "c# hello world".

Soldato
As for starting in programming, I would install the free version of Visual Studio IDE, then I would get one of the beginning C# books and follow the sections. My only advice is like anything really, it's just to jump in and go for it. Other then this it might be worth seeing if local colleges have any beginning to programming courses on offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure I agree with an IDE as a start point. It can be hugely intimidating with all the options, windows and menus that mean nothing

I disagree. Download visual studio, pick a language (i recommend c#), create a new windows project and then just play around to figure out how to do something basic like change the background colour with a button.

Gradually try more and more complex things and eventually it will *click*

Man of Honour
Hmm personally I find Visual Studio kind of distracting (when trying to get upto speed with the fundementals of a language) - My initial exposure was stuff like QB45 where you are much more intimate with the code but with still some helpful editing tools/reference built in and its far easier to pickup the basics and build from there. That said things like bookmarks and multi/split screen type features in Visual Studio really make things simpler when working with bigger projects and the auto-complete stuff makes such a difference when you are dealing with things like classes, structures and stuff like polymorphism.

One option for learning might be to get into Visual Studio with Python before moving to something like C# as you can do a lot more stuff directly in the IDE with immediate results and without the complexities of C++/C# features though C# these days kind of covers that somewhat as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Personally I always suggest learning one thing at a time. I would pick something like Python and start learning with just notepad or Python's IDLE editor. Once you've learned the basics of Python then move onto an IDE like PyCharm or Visual Studio to finish learning. That way your not struggling to learn an IDE from day one.

Once you have the basics Python (which will teach you the concepts of programming) and also learned the basics of an IDE then I would move onto full time learning of something more advanced like C#.

Soldato
As someone that attempted to learn Java I resonate a lot with the pit of despair stage. I got quite far in the Helsinki MOOC before calling it quits. Honestly if your learning for fun great but as others have said motivation has got to be there even in the awful times.

Associate
Pick some type of problem you'd like to solve. Draw it out on paper what you want it to do. Think of all the rules your application needs and some calculations it must make; then read read read, try, try, try.... There is no shortcut. There no point trying to just 'learn' a language. For example when you're abroad you bust out the phrase book when there's something specific you're trying to say.... A bit like programming..

Man of Honour
One thing I'd say is to echo what other people have said. Have an idea

If you just try to sit in front of a screen and expect to write code with no idea of what you want to write, you'll quickly get overwhelmed and lose all motivation.

Come up with a problem you encounter daily, or an idea, doesn't have to be unique and can be done 1000 times already by other tools or apps, just make it simple to start with. Then break it down in to it's most basic components, such as it's main UI, inputs, outputs and then come up with the ways in which those need to talk to each other. As you learn the basics of object orientated programming, you'll be able to expand upon these initial diagrams/ideas and improve them.

Another thing I'll say is keep it simple. Don't try and write the cleanest and most efficient code first time, it will never happen. 10 years of coding professionally and I'm always refactoring code I've written several times as I think of ways to improve it. Every person I mentor, I always say the same thing, just write code to begin with. If it looks messy, if it is bloated and full of unused variables or methods, if it's inconsistent, don't worry, just keep writing and get something working, and when it's working, then worry about improvements.

Caporegime
some useful courses on here OP:

https://see.stanford.edu/Course

I don't think the biggest issue is the answer to your question, you seem to have procrastinated for years, you'd quickly find the answer to a question like that if you start. As for the commands you can use, that depends mostly on the language you're using.

Soldato
As Steedie touched on, I wouldn't even consider going anywhere near computer programming unless I had an output or use to it. I started playing with websites back in 1997, my first was a GTA cheat site on AOL that did pretty well in terms of visitor numbers. Since then it was gaming generally that made me learn more web code: more fan pages, then clan websites, each the more complex. Even a clan website can integrate a lot of basics, for example a login system for members, auto-updating league tables, MySQL databases, social media integrations, Ajax pulls (nowadays!), all sorts.

As a business owner the need has continued and I design, code and maintain all our websites, but only because I can. As such I'm fairly proficient in HTML5, PHP, jQuery in MySQL. But even I have to do a lot of copy and pasting/amending from Stack Overflow and the like, and all other languages and more complex PHP/JS requirements bewilder me.

If I had no need I would forget it very quickly much like I have GCSE German. And I mean NEED. It's like buying a bicycle to commute 5 miles and telling yourself that in the summer you'll do a 10 mile detour for more exercise. Fat chance. As a species if we don't have a need you'll find motivation very hard to come by, and there'll certainly be no real world requirement or problem.

So my first question back to you is pretty simple too: why do you even need to code?

Soldato
While I agree it's easy to forget if you're not always using it, saying that it's pointless going near it I certainly don't agree with.

I'm teaching my 6-year-old daughter basic programming thinking using sites such as CodeMonkey. Is she going to constantly use it? Doubtful, she wants to be a vet when she grows up. Will it benefit her? definitely.

She's already understood how to look at a problem and break it down into smaller problems, to break those down further. That no matter how big the overall project is that it's just a collection of smaller objects. That kind of thinking towards everyday problems will have a beneficial impact on her for the rest of her life.

Man of Honour
For PHP I really likes the mmtuts videos on youtube (just look for mmtuts php tutorial). He also does some javascript tutorials but I've not used that yet.

Soldato
The /r/learnprogramming subreddit is a good resource for beginners. I think programming is an extremely valuable skill even if you don't intend to work in the field or even employ code to complement your current job. The way of thinking and breaking down problems is universally applicable, which is why im a big advocate for teaching it in the mandatory IT classes at school rather than the basics of computer usage which all kids know by the age of 8.

Web development (html, css, js + maybe a server side language such as php or python) is quite good for beginners as its very "instant gratitude". You change a line of code, refresh the page, see the result which is quite nice for experimentation and learning purposes and helps keep you motivated.

I think for anyone wanting to learn to code, OcUK isn't really a large or vibrant enough community (in this sub) to really provide an appropriate benefit. Branch out to reddit and look for a sub that matches the specific language you want to learn the look for a slack or similar server that suits your needs and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, just make sure you've tried to at least google the problem first :)

Good luck :)

Soldato
Why do you want to get into coding?

There are probably a lot easier ways to earn a living, and you won't have to work with people who are on the spectrum.

Man of Honour
@PraxxtorCruel I've just noticed you're in London. Whereabouts? If close enough then I'd be happy to show you some of the basics to get you started. I live in Surrey but work at Canary Wharf so could meet over a coffee and a laptop nearby one evening.

Soldato
As he's never once replied, I guess he gave up already. As someone mentioned, it was quite an oddly worded question, which did make me wonder if his mind set the right way for coding, so to speak?

As others said, the best way is to have a goal. I wanted to write a specific Android App, so that fuelled me through Java, onto Android and included MySQL. Then I started dabbling in other bits before deciding to make my own website, so I learnt HTML and php.

Now, I should be picking up an old Macbook Air on Wednesday to learn some Swift to write iPad apps for work... but I think Apple might not let me just write my own apps and install them like I can on Android. :(

Back
Top Bottom