War of the Worlds

Soldato
Well, I endured the final episode. I've been eagerly looking forward to this since I first heard about it. Having watched all three parts I'm left wondering when the last time was that I was so let down by a TV show. Dire. Absolutely dire.

Associate
That's not even War of the Worlds, that's the title thrown on to a 3rd rate version of Falling Skies.

It's a shambles that the Asylum version and it's sequel still rank as one of the better versions.

Caporegime
Damn i just skim watched all 3 episodes after reading the bad reviews.

Some of it looked good, the boat evacuation scene was "ok" but it seemed like there was way too much sitting around and being emotional and procrastinating.
Its nice to see it set in its "original time" properly. They did the "marsification" of the land well and London looked awesomely destroyed.
Good to see tomato plants still conquer all.

Ill try and watch it all but 3h commitment to something that looks like a woman constantly "crying and being upset" sure Its a more human way of exploring the themes of the book but its not fascinating watching for me.

Soldato
Well that was disappointing. I think I'd rate that as "C" and leave it at that. Something went wrong somewhere its like the script writers lost the plot quite literally somewhere and screen adapters heart's weren't really in it. Or something. Decent acting Tomlinson especially but other than that there isn't much to recommend it. Nice to see it in its original setting an location rather than some mid-western american town though.

I've never actually read the book, I've seen so many adapations and stories that are clearly inspired by it (Tripods, anyone?) that are all so different that I realise I don't know the real story at all. Perhaps its time I did.

Soldato
Well that was disappointing. I think I'd rate that as "C" and leave it at that. Something went wrong somewhere its like the script writers lost the plot quite literally somewhere and screen adapters heart's weren't really in it. Or something. Decent acting Tomlinson especially but other than that there isn't much to recommend it. Nice to see it in its original setting an location rather than some mid-western american town though.

I've never actually read the book, I've seen so many adapations and stories that are clearly inspired by it (Tripods, anyone?) that are all so different that I realise I don't know the real story at all. Perhaps its time I did.

The book is surprisingly good, though you have to read it with a Victorian gentleman's voice in mind. Back then, even the well educated just didn't know as much about the world as we do now, and we're just a more sophisticated audience. It still stands up well as a piece of historical sci-fi drama. It's well written too, the Thunderchild sequence is spine-tingling.

Associate
They've literally got one of the best sci fi stories ever already written for them, the hard bit is done. Yet everyone who tries to transfer it to film or TV, has to tinker with it. Just make as how it's written in the book.

Soldato
I thought the Spielberg Cruise version was pretty good and fairly faithful. You can't beat the 1953 version though, it's not as accurate to the book but the spectacle and pacing are amazing.

Soldato
Maybe not a popular opinion but I thought it was ok. I've been reading the HG Wells original recently and actually the BBC program in a number of ways is true to that story - the black smoke for example which Jeff Waynes version barely touches on.

I consider it an adaptation or alternate view on the classic story.

Soldato
The best attempt so far to stay close to the original HG Wells novel but it sadly had a very limited number of good points and instead was let down massively by the script which was just awful, the CGI which was poor almost everywhere, strange directing decisions and the obvious lack of budget in so many places.

Soldato
could you post your telephone number please, Jeff Wayne wants to discuss something.

As much as I adore the Jeff Wayne version (seen it Live a few times now) there are several minor aspects in the Novel which Jeff didn't add to his musical or had changed, like the lack of "Black Smoke" mentioned above.

Soldato
Pretty poor overall. The sad thing is, I doubt anyone will be in a rush to attempt it again.
The 1953 version is still my favourite screen version, would be nice to see Jeff Wayne's take brought to the big screen.

Associate
I watched the first 30 mins of episode one and gave up.

Not a fan of the Tom Cruise version either, I always felt given the budget, it was a missed opportunity (exception was the scene with the Apache's or Jets flying over the hill...)

Anyway, I still stand by that Jeff Wayne's version, could make an amazing film if done right. The original book reads amazingly well and is scary, even now.

God forbid if WW3 or a similar catastrophe broke out - human kind is its own worst enemy.

Soldato
I'm a huge fan of the book and musical....but the trailers for this just looked it had potential to be Doctor Who levels of cringe. Was it that bad? I wouldn't mind watching it with the other half, but I don't want to put her off sci-fi again (she's only just got over falling asleep in Interstellar (which I loved, but that's another story)).

Back
Top Bottom