Warhammer Competition - Paint a Space Marine!

Bought some badly (yes worse than mine) painted Chaos dudes from the bay a while ago which were sat doing nothing and as my black legion are already complete, I sacrificed one of these for this comp. Popped one into a bottle of dettol overnight which got rid of most of the old paint but did leave some remains in the creases which refuse to budge.

Anyway, had some fun with this scheme, so much so I'm thinking of changing my Black Legion to these.

Here's the fluff:

The Lost Souls (XI Legion).
Rumours were whispered in the darkest corners of Terra that spoke of a legion so powerful, so adept in the art of warfare that even the mighty Ultramarine chapter would struggle to cope with such terrible, fearless yet adept warriors of Chaos. Tales of the XI legion were used by the Imperium of man to scare their children before bedtime. While no official acknowledgment of either the II or XI legion is available. It is however generally accepted that some time between the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy, two legions were lost. Two Primarch statues are missing to this day from the Imperial Palace, notable by the absent plinths. With both legions details completely expunged from official Imperial records, information regarding the Lost Legions is therefore based upon rumour; legend and myth for only the Emperor and Horus know their fate.
It is suspected that either or both suffered tragedy, either in battle by alien foes or by falling to the powers of Chaos. The latter it seems, was the fate of the XI Legion for it is believed, the II Legion fell to the Space Wolves. The XI primarch was corrupted by Chaos and great numbers of the XI Legion succumbed to temptation of Slaanesh while the remainder, loyalists marines merged with the Ultramarines which would explain the Ultramarines numbers welling during this period.
It was until the traitorous events on Istavan III that the XI Legion was allegedly sighted for the first time in 5 millennia but this too can only be interpreted as hearsay for those whom cast eyes on the magenta and amber clad XI legion were smote upon the ruins of the Precentor’s Palace. The only ‘proof’ of the XI legion’s activity was a stunted recording, heavily diluted with static but clear enough to show what was first mistaken to be the Emperor’s Sons, only these troops had the clear taint of Chaos about them.
The legion showed no mercy while cutting down both armoured space marine and indigenous citizen. Their lust for blood matched only by their fearless strength, they tore flesh from children and armour from marine, grimacing with delight at every blood curdling crack of bone and blast of plasma . The XI legion cut through formations of Death Guard with boltgun and chainsword with ease leaving a trail of devastation in their wake only to abruptly vanish from sight before the massacre; before the Virus bombs fell. None were left alive to tell the tale and no fallen from the XI legion were ever recovered from the ruins of Istavan III. Their emergence from the warp and swift disappearance remains a mystery to this day although it is believed use of a Time warp disruptor may have been employed.
The only physical piece of evidence found was a roughly scrawled ‘XI’ on a torn, battered shoulder plate of a fallen Death Guard Marine. This etched piece of metal was delivered in secret to The Emperor on Terra after the slaughter on Istavan III, never to be seen again. It is said that upon learning of the apparent emergence of the lost XI legion, the Emperor fell silent and looked forlorn, almost saddened like a father who would receive news of a favoured but fallen son. The reaction of the Emperor laid the foundation of the belief that the Lost Sons of were created from the Emporers own Gene Seed,
There have been the occasional reports of sightings post Heresy but none confirmed, such is the total annihilation employed by the Lost Souls

It is suspected that the Lost Souls of have allegiance with the Chaos God Slaanesh due to the colouration of armour pads but also share appreciation of other Chaos Deities, using their powers bestowed upon them dependant on the situation at hand. Clearly Khorne also has a hold over many Lost Soul with each sharing a lust for blood like no other.
In the 41st Millennium, rumours persist of an elite unit of troops, a crack battalion of Chaos Space marines carrying the banner of Slannesh who fear no beast nor marine. The XI legion will haunt the minds of Loyalist Space Marine and brethren alike for no other has the speed, guile or overwhelming power of the warp at their disposal to wreak havoc upon on the Universe.

Not sure how accurate the fluff is but a bit of artistic license is warranted given the unknown facts regarding the XI primarch???

Anyway, dettol rinsed off here's my effort:

The Lost Souls

1_zps14d3b14d.jpg

ocuk2_zps37f015b8.jpg

ocuk5_zps0a7b3bcb.jpg

ocuk3_zpsa577bf2f.jpg

ocuk4_zps6c92f403.jpg

It wasn't until I had finished the purple/gold theme I realised there was already a legion very familiar (Emperors Children/Extinction Angels) so made some changes with yellow gloves and leg armour which in turn were heavily weathered as these guys are supposed to be ancient warriors, not fresh of the production line :).

"When the criminal scum on the countless worlds of the Imperium of Man grow too organized and powerful for the Arbitrators of the Adeptus Arbites to control, they call in the Dread Judges. A small Space Marine chapter consisting only of 50 battle brothers, they are able to surgically eliminate criminal organisation with extreme prejudice unable to be matched by the servants of the Adeptus Arbites. "

The theme is essentially a steampunky gritty Space Marine SWAT team, who will swiftly and harshly bring imperial justice on any criminal organisation which is enough of a bother in the eyes of the Adeptus Arbites. Meant to be kind of dirty, and the theme of the base is supposed to be undercity on a massive cityplanet where the skyscrapers go tall, and only the poor and the suspicious would willingly dare the surface of the planet.

Daylight faded before the base was done though, so the best pictures are with an unfinished base.

http://i.imgur.com/Jy3Hl2T.jpg

http://imgur.com/PLeD5FC

http://i.imgur.com/v2CvoSV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GVWZhvc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a8WGs9t.jpg

Last edited:
I won't be able to enter as I have no where near the time to finish. It's no problem though so don't worry, my prize offer is sill there for the winners. Good luck all, looking very good so far!

Things are looking good so far. Can't wait to see everyone else's entries. :)

I eventually worked out a colour scheme, but my Marine is still attached to the sprue and I think there's some dust on my airbrush case. :o

managed to do a lot on mine last night, just need some final touches then pinning it to the base.

Anyone else got any updates? At the moment there's 3 of us and 3 prizes :p

Not tried the new powders yet so you'll have to let us know what they are like. Got my lad a pot of the cracked earth (can't remember technical name) which he seems to like.

Threaten the offenders with a ban :D

I don't think banning another Don would go down to well :p

Back
Top Bottom