Warhammer Warcry

Soldato
So this morning GW released their latest teaser for a small-scale skirmish-type game, Warcry. You can find details below:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/11/breaking-news-from-gama/

I was kind of hoping for a Kill Team type game, but I'm not getting that vibe from the release. In fact, I'm finding the video and the teaser information to be remarkably underwhelming - and I've got a fairly large Chaos army so it's not a faction thing!

Any thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Never played Mordheim, so I dunno!

They're so busy making new and exciting systems that they don't realise all it's doing is diluting the player pool. I'm highly unlikely to pay a load of money for yet another game which I might struggle to find someone to play against - it might have been an option if there was some crossover both ways with the full game for models, but it doesn't look like that.

Caporegime
@Pookie Bear mordheim was outstanding. It was a warhammer skirmish game.
You had a warband of typically 5 to 10 minis (skaven could have something stupid like 25 and dwarves just 3). They were split in to heroes and henchmen. All earned experience during games for doing things such as taking an enemy out of action or winning. You'd then level them up throughout a campaign gaining stat increases +1 at a time, or perks. Things like scars caused your units to cause fear or you could lose a leg reducing your movement by 1 amongst dozens of options.
You'd earn gold to buy better gear or more warband members.
Combat was more in depth. Could do critical charges or fumbles for example.

Soldato
OP
Ah right. I have played Necromunda once, I think. Is that the game where I beat you again @No1newts :D

What I wanted to see was the basis for a "create your own warband" style game, where you could use your normal AoS models, or buy some new warband packs if you wanted. Some campaign info, cards, terrain, etc would be welcome too. At the moment it looks more like some form of narrative-based Underworlds. I'll reserve final judgment though!

Soldato
Mordheim was better (and same with necromunda) when you played linked campaigns with 4-6 players and gangs. The stand alone play o was never hugely fussed about but campaigns were cool.

Caporegime
Mordheim was better (and same with necromunda) when you played linked campaigns with 4-6 players and gangs. The stand alone play o was never hugely fussed about but campaigns were cool.

Yup. It turned it in to a rpg really. It was great. I frigging hated the possessed later on, they were a monstrous warband.

Soldato
OP
It's due sometime in July.

The terrain is kind of broken city stuff, and the board looks pretty small, maybe 24" x 36" but that's just an estimate based on a crappy photo :D
They have said they're going to be putting a lot of effort into making it strong narrative-wise.

Soldato
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/14/coming-soon-warcry/

Up for pre-order next week!

I'm skint but going to find the cash to get this pre-ordered, looks really fun. I find it a bit odd they've gave the small expansion packs to get other factions in (stormcast, Nighthaunt etc etc) but nothing for any chaos factions like Maggotkin, Blades of Khorne etc, that must be ab expansion or some such.

Probably get the game with scenery, the expacs for Stormcast and Nighthaunt and swerve additional warbands for a bit as I can make 4 using what I have and hopefully there are in box rules for beasts of chaos then I can add a fifth.

Soldato
OP
Yep! Two weeks of preorders, then released on August 3rd.

I'm much happier about the way it's progressing now, with the addition of warscroll for each warband (they will be Slaves to Darkness keyword), and the ability to create other bands using existing models, I'm not so worried about crossover (or lackthereof).

The thought of a narrative full AoS game with Archaon, some Varanguard and all of the warbands in it is pretty cool to me!

Soldato
OP
Rules are now available on Imgur, and the unboxing was pretty cool - the starter set has A LOT of stuff in it. £100 though.

Limited units from other factions, according to another leak, but we shall have to see. I would expect there will be a lot of substitute models. Stormcast, for example, if they are limited to Vanguard and gryph hounds... well, I've got the Farstriders from Underworlds, who are an awesome proxy. I do like the intiiative system though - the person who wins has a slight advantage in one way, but by losing you almost definitely will be able to trigger special abilities.

Soldato
OP
I do like the Cypher Lords, but they will have to wait before I order them. The Starter Kit will have to suffice!
I just got my new Badger airbrush delivered from the states, so I'll need to get that hooked up for the scenery.

Associate
Went to whw Open day and this was the big thing today. Lots of demo games available and it looks good fun. One of our group has preordered. £75 online. Good for quick games.

Back
Top Bottom