1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer Warcry

Discussion in 'Tabletop Games, Wargaming and Scale Modelling.' started by Pookie Bear, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Pookie Bear

Soldato

So this morning GW released their latest teaser for a small-scale skirmish-type game, Warcry. You can find details below:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/11/breaking-news-from-gama/

I was kind of hoping for a Kill Team type game, but I'm not getting that vibe from the release. In fact, I'm finding the video and the teaser information to be remarkably underwhelming - and I've got a fairly large Chaos army so it's not a faction thing!

Any thoughts?

2. No1newts

Capodecina

Sounds a bit gimmicky to me rather than something I was hoping for.

3. Dis86

Capodecina

So...mordheim?

4. Pookie Bear

Soldato

Never played Mordheim, so I dunno!

They're so busy making new and exciting systems that they don't realise all it's doing is diluting the player pool. I'm highly unlikely to pay a load of money for yet another game which I might struggle to find someone to play against - it might have been an option if there was some crossover both ways with the full game for models, but it doesn't look like that.

5. Dis86

Capodecina

@Pookie Bear mordheim was outstanding. It was a warhammer skirmish game.
    You had a warband of typically 5 to 10 minis (skaven could have something stupid like 25 and dwarves just 3). They were split in to heroes and henchmen. All earned experience during games for doing things such as taking an enemy out of action or winning. You'd then level them up throughout a campaign gaining stat increases +1 at a time, or perks. Things like scars caused your units to cause fear or you could lose a leg reducing your movement by 1 amongst dozens of options.
    You'd earn gold to buy better gear or more warband members.
    Combat was more in depth. Could do critical charges or fumbles for example.

6. No1newts

Capodecina

Was essentially necromunda for Warhammer fantasy.

7. Pookie Bear

Soldato

Ah right. I have played Necromunda once, I think. Is that the game where I beat you again @No1newts :D

What I wanted to see was the basis for a "create your own warband" style game, where you could use your normal AoS models, or buy some new warband packs if you wanted. Some campaign info, cards, terrain, etc would be welcome too. At the moment it looks more like some form of narrative-based Underworlds. I'll reserve final judgment though!

8. No1newts

Capodecina

Mordheim was better (and same with necromunda) when you played linked campaigns with 4-6 players and gangs. The stand alone play o was never hugely fussed about but campaigns were cool.

9. Dis86

Capodecina

Yup. It turned it in to a rpg really. It was great. I frigging hated the possessed later on, they were a monstrous warband.