Warhammer Warcry

Soldato
I probably got a bit carried away, I've got every warband and scenery expansion ordered as well as some other packs to run some DIY warbands. Sold a stack of other mini-based games that I've painted up over the last 12 months but we aren't playing. Family seem genuinely keep to play this one because there's a strong dice-chucking element rather than too much skill/thought!

I tried to get them into Gloomhaven and got nowhere but did at least turn a profit on it (if you ignore the 20+ hours I spent painting the minis!).

Soldato
I probably got a bit carried away, I've got every warband and scenery expansion ordered as well as some other packs to run some DIY warbands. Sold a stack of other mini-based games that I've painted up over the last 12 months but we aren't playing. Family seem genuinely keep to play this one because there's a strong dice-chucking element rather than too much skill/thought!

I tried to get them into Gloomhaven and got nowhere but did at least turn a profit on it (if you ignore the 20+ hours I spent painting the minis!).

This game is simple at entry but the more tactical you get there's a lot more to it.

Soldato
Absolutely right but the low barrier to entry means I can get the family playing it. Gloomhaven was just far too much for them and essentially each of their turns devolved into me having to tell them what to do and then what items to buy so it just stopped being fun. If I end up beating them at Warcry regularly then it's easy to shuffle around the warbands so they get a 1100-1200 point setup and I go with ~900 so it still remains competitive :)

Soldato
Just finished our fifth game of Warcry between myself and my son and just to re-iterate it's a blinking awesome game. Five games and not one has been the same thanks to the differing scenario, setup and twist cards and every time it's just a fun experience.

We've had reach the opposition side of the battlefield, assasnate, high ground, pitched battle and control point missions and always been unique.

Anyone undecided I would wholeheartedly recommend this for pick up and play games with surprising depth and replayability.

For the record, he won tonight and it's 3-2 to me, only 8 and at times he nails the tactics, or in tonight's case rides his luck with 5 of his warband on one health by the end of the game :p

Soldato
I bought and built the Unmade warband, beautiful models but perhaps the most awkward and finickity models I've ever had to put together. The chain for a guy with a Bola literally snapped when I clipped the plastic holding it to the sprue it was so delicate, the shock broke it :p had to fix that with a lot of plastic glue and it doesn't look the prettiest but looking forward to using them.

Soldato
OP
They are quite delicate but easily some of the finest looking models I have. I'm really enjoying painting them, even if it is just contrast paints (I think my Untamed Beasts look great considering I've used no 'normal' paints on them).

One big issue (entirely personal) is that the moulding process is so good that mould lines are much less frequent, so I've become lazy at scraping them off. I've only just noticed when taking photos of my Iron Golems' colour scheme (purple and silver) that I have a big mould line on the damn Broacher's weapon.

Soldato
OP
I've just finished my Cypher Lords and they're so pretty! I feel like my paint job has barely done the models justice, but I have so little time these days that I can only put some much time into my painting if I ever expect to finish anything. Now I have three fully painted (but unbased) warbands, I just need to get some games in!

Terrain next! I'm not going to spend too much time on this though! Base coat, contrast, maybe some touching up here and there (like some rust on the gates). A lot of surface to cover though!

Soldato
The scenery has taken me quite a while, got a bit carried away with some parts of it but it's so detailed I couldn't help it. It's also the first scenery I've ever done so I was pretty slow and made some mistakes in terms of doing some detailed areas too soon meaning I had to take me time not to paint over them.

I've got the bell tower left to do and I might use a dark wash to dull the marble effect a bit but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

IMG-6103.jpg

Soldato
OP
I tried a 1v1v1 last Monday and it was fun, but also not fun. We had Cypher Lords vs Untamed Beasts v Iron Golems (I don't want to introduce my Stormcast yet) and the Iron Golems player found themselves on the wrong side of the map next to an empty space and only got into combat in round 3 - which is when the game ended. The other two players battered each other, and the game was decided on a hidden agenda (the Cypher Lords had models off the floor, and no-one else did).

Had another 1v1 last night and something similar - the game was the Comet and so the comet arrives in round 2, and the game ends on game 3 - the Iron Golems had very little time to get to the location (despite having 3 out of 5 locations reasonably well covered). There wasn't much combat, but it was still fun. Game was decided on the fact the IGs had managed to Rush 2 models to the comet location in round 2 (UB was complacent in R2 and only had 1 model on the comet), smash one defender and then block enough UBs to keep control even though we both had 3 models on the objective. Very close.

Back
Top Bottom