water cooling pump

Soldato
i dont know about if it is still possible will need to read up on that.
could always try and get a 350 from the mm i guess :)
but if you say the 355 is quiet that will be good enough i think, i have seen people saying the 355 is pointless compared to the 350 or the 655 tho... but guess that was with stock top.

what dose AV mean? im guessing your referring to a foam or rubber block?

thanks for the quick reply :)

Yep, as you will of seen, I have very few slow spinning fans and the 18w DDC with the XSPC res/top cannot be heard at all. Anyone suggesting that the 355 is noisy probably isn't using the res/top.

As MameFX said this is probably a better choice for longer loops with more restrictions and as you are going for one loop with 2 rads and 2 blocks............

in order of noise level, gpm for a typical cpu/gpu loop

D5 setting 1 (EK X-top rev2) – 0.69GPM
D5 setting 2 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.00GPM
D5 setting 1 – 0.62 GPM
D5 setting 3 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.35GPM
D5 setting 2 – 0.92 GPM
DB-1 – 1.09 GPM
-------
Ddc stock – whoosh like but quiet – 1.37 GPM
D5 setting 5 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.99GPM
D5 setting 3 – 1.26GPM
Ddc xspc top - 1.87GPM
Ddc xspc res top - 1.86GPM
D5 setting 4 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.72GPM
DDC pro (Alphacool res top) – 1.53GPM
-------
D5 setting 4 – 1.63GPM
D5 setting 5 – 1.89GPM

M8, are you saying that you think the DDC with res/top is noisier than at stock? :confused: In my experience, after fitting the res/top it went from being a little noisy to almost completely silent and that's the 18w version.

Last edited:
Associate
Troop sorry assumed someone elce posted there setup.
Sounds very good :)
my loop should only be a little bit more restrictive as im planing on using 7/16" tubing and planing on getting fatboy barbs but i will have more resistance from the extra rads.
guess my setup would be a medium flow?

Don't worry about the 7/16th ID hose thats what I use, even with Fatboy/bitspower 1/2 high flow barbs ...the barbs are only 10mm wide at their narrowest point(threaded end)

Everyones water loop/system is different, its just a matter of trial and error untill you are happy with it.

Associate
OP
thanks for all the help guys.
The koolance top dose sound the best, but they dont make them anymore and i dont think they are easy to get hold of.
So i think the best option would be the ddc with the xspc res top 10W, will allow for a more restrictive loop down the line and i will have some fans altho as quiet as possible for the rads.

Soldato
@Square nothing - the new koolance top is better than the old one (I beleive)
the RP450 or ek D5 x-top are the two to get

@Troop - sorry I ment a front out let on the old koolance top

@wolvers - I was surprised too - the noise profile of the 10w pump at stock is massively different with and without a top.
to different ears or with ambient noise it's very likely that the ddc with a res/top with a higher frequence noise is masked.
where as a lower frequence 'woosh' is unlikely to me hidden by other ambient noises.

I can only go on what I tested - and I know the ultra (18w) version is much louder at stock that the pro (10w)
so that may account for it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hmm ok ill look into the new other tops for the D5.
im surprised there is no X is best pump for noise yet as water cooling is pretty advanced now days.

By the sounds of it they are both very good pumps, i just want to get the best i can :)

Associate
OP
D5 with top is best silent pump i tested - that why I use one
Also has option of faster/slower flowrate to help fill/bleed loop.

It's possable one of the eheim pumps is better... untill I borrow one I'll never know

they are looking more and more tempting.
what top did you find the best that is currently being soled or know of being very quiet?
find it very hard to find good reviews of pump's and tops, mabey im just no good at searching :(

Soldato
I've only used the EK rev2
Was the best at the time I got it - and inaudable at setting 3 is good enough for me.
skinneelabs is one of the best reviews (for all matter watercooling imho)
I would guess the koolance is as good (but as you said limited availability)

the ek is available - google shopping EK rev2 D5

Associate
Some more testing today, as I had a EK rev 2 top delivered :).
So this is EK- V -Koolance top test

Flow
EK produces more flow, I'd say EK at 4-4.5 is = to Koolance at 5

Noise
The EK at setting 4 I can hear a whine just,.... Koolance at setting 5 totally silent.

Test.... Pump to res........... res to pump only.

Other things to consider, the Koolance setup is a lot heavier and a good 25mm longer, the extra weight probably helps with keeping noise in check.

Build, both very good, the koolance wins on the bling front.

The EK is a fit and forget setup,.... the Koolance, I have had issues with the chrome screw mount, this is how the pump motor, is connected to the pump block(same as the standard pump), working lose and leaking, so its something to keep an eye on !!!.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
I just got I new mcp655 with the EK top v2 and placed on top of a shoggy sandwich (yes thats its name).

As people have said it's pretty quiet on all settings (and it looks cool), personally I can hear it on 5 but anything less then its virtully silent.

Noise anyway is subjective the case also have an effect.

The only thing I tend to hear is cap squeek on my 5870 at boot up....not much I can do about that though.

I'll post a picture as soon as I am home.

Back
Top Bottom