wd black sn750 problem!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me?

CPU: i5 7600k
MoBo: Asus Strix Z270F

I Have a Samsung M.2 drive plugged in the the lower slot on my mobo in PCI-E mode which is my O/S drive. I have got a WD Black SN750 1tb as a Games drive attached to the top M.2 slot. I also have 2 oither Hdd's as storage.
Both SATA 5 and 6 are empty as per the instructions for the upper m.2 slot to work.

My issue is Randomly the WD drive disconects, this could be during a game or when updates are happening which is very annoying, it appearts as if the drive is there and working but whenever I try to launch a game or try to transfer a file it says ' A device which dose not exist was specified' .

What could be causing this? Is there anything I can do or is it a RMA case.

Thanks

GM

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes it is. however I have just downloaded the manuel for my board and it seem it has been updated. apparently the m.2_1 slot uses sata 1 and m.2_2 used sata 56 and i had a drive plugged in to sata 1. retesting!

Soldato
Yes it is. however I have just downloaded the manuel for my board and it seem it has been updated. apparently the m.2_1 slot uses sata 1 and m.2_2 used sata 56 and i had a drive plugged in to sata 1. retesting!

If you swapped the drives over, it would suggest the issue is with the drive, which makes it all the stranger that the new one exhibits the same problem.

Let me know how you get on.

Associate
OP
So.. i thought it was working fine after removing the sata 1 drive. however, mid game it has now disapeared again, its as if it loses power or somthing, I do have a 1050w psu so i don't think its that. Seriously confussed

Associate
OP
this seems to be working ok right now, removed all un-necessary drives and changed the pci-e speed from x4 to x2 and havnt had any drops, still very confussed as the board should be able to handle it . oh well...

Associate
OP
yea, all as up to date as possible, i have just condensed my drives to the 2 m.2's and 2 sata drives, the other werent really necessary any way and I also have BD drive, who uses them these days any way!

Associate
Also do you use any power saving plan in windows, that might be undervolting the SSD or putting it into some forced sleep.

Someone had a similar issue on reddit and doing the following apparently fixed it :
The issue was caused by Windows having PCI put as 'Maximum Power Savings' in the default battery and power settings. I assume the power savings could have been under-volting the SSD, causing it to disconnect. Have not had the issue since turning it off.

Associate
OP
Also do you use any power saving plan in windows, that might be undervolting the SSD or putting it into some forced sleep.

Someone had a similar issue on reddit and doing the following apparently fixed it :
Nope no power saving.

This is a year on and still issues.i have even tried a pcie m2 adapter and it is still doing it. It is very random, and not happening to the other Samsung 129gb m.2

Back
Top Bottom