WD Black SN850X not showing up in Disk management but I can see it in Bios and also WD Software ! Whats going on ?

Associate
WD Black SN850X not showing up in Disk management but I can see it in Bios and also WD Software ! Whats going on ?
Can someone please help me get this to show up in my disk manangement as its driving me insane ! makes no sense why its not showing up but I can see it in my Bios and also in the WD Software ! I have updated the fireware.

Soldato
Does the drive show at all without partitions?

What motherboard have you got and what slot is it plugged into?

Was it brand new out of the box or have you previously formatted it, if yes what file type did you use?

Associate
OP
If you put it in one of your other slots, does it then show in Windows?
Yes it does I just moved it to m2 1 slot and it shows in device manager and and it also shows in Bios , but it will not show up on the disk management section where I need to format it , I can also see it in WD Dashboard , But it will not let me format it in there, just says something about Driver , I really don't know what else to do..... maybe try format it in my brothers pc and then put it in to mine I don't know

Associate
OP
Show a screenshot of disk management.
Here https://www.flickr.com/photos/24526645@N05/52455849611/in/dateposted-public/
My MSI Board has 4 x m2 slots I'm guessing its compatible with WD850x ? This is the motherboard I have https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-DDR4
By going by that that 850x should be compatiable

4x M.2 slot
M.2_1 (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 22110/2280/2260/2242 devices
M.2_2 (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260/2242 devices
M.2_3 (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 / SATA mode, supports 2280/2260/2242 devices
M.2_4 (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 / SATA mode, supports 2280/2260/2242 devices

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it does I just moved it to m2 1 slot and it shows in device manager and and it also shows in Bios , but it will not show up on the disk management section where I need to format it , I can also see it in WD Dashboard , But it will not let me format it in there, just says something about Driver , I really don't know what else to do..... maybe try format it in my brothers pc and then put it in to mine I don't know
Can you update drivers for it in device manager?

Associate
OP
If not Send it back for something else seen a few have compatabilty problems with wd drives.
I've sent it back as just tried it on my brothers system MSI Board and the same issue , will show up in Bios and also Device manager but will not show in the Disk management section ! Will get the New Samsung 990 when its released as I have 970 evo in my system and works great.

Associate
I bought a WD Black SN850X for one of my machines a couple weeks ago, cloned over the os drive with Macrium reflect , that pc is running a gigabyte z390 master, I just wanted a bigger os drive all went ok.

Back
Top Bottom