• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

We should worship 9800pro's!

Soldato
i agree...after paying loads for my gear in the past i aint paying more than 200quid for a cpu nowadays and a graphics card...not value for money is it?

I wanna add something else though.Many of us dont have the same standards in gaming.for example for my standards a racing sim with less than 60 fps is wrong...i find it very annoying...others will say its runs like a dream with 40 fps.

My 9800pro flashed to XT can NO longer give me what i want :(
Looking into future games i think i am wasting my time for example with FEAR withot enabling its eye candy on.I mean i am playing at 1280-1024 without any AA or AF!!! FFS...and i have to lower my graphics quality to an unacceptable level so that the game is playiable.I mean its not worth playing such games in low quality.Its like watching a movie thats not a proper DVD rip but a poor asf file for example.I hope yo uget my point.
Perhaps its just me as i always playied my games without any AA and AF ON in order to achieve a smoother gameplay...perhaps i was always running newer games that needed a lot faster pcs...

I am sticking with it though...perhaps i will volt mod it to "%^£$^ and stick it in an old rig when i upgrade...for now ill wait for an X850 XT AGP when they drop in price a bit more....£155 for a PCIX £200 for an AGP one...thats a ripp off :D

Soldato
What has happened, is simple.

I have done the same with Motorbikes.

When I was 19, I bought a MotoGuzzi 1100, straight from a 125 FFS!

Now, I have a big problem with smaller bikes. I currently have a GS80 and a ZZR600, and even though the ZZR600 is a good runner fairly ok condition considering its been written off 3 times ( not by myself - I found out later ) and the GS is a rot box that probably will never get back on the road, I am willing to trade the ZZR600 to anyone who can rebuild the GS, purely because its a bigger bike, even though the GS like I said, is a cronk and the Kwak has never missed a beat.

I have already owned a goldwing too, and thats all before I was 30, and now I am hating going to a lesser sized bike.

Ist the same with graphic cards... You go too high, your expectations are high, and you wont go back even thoguh the game will play pretty much 100% the same, just slightly lower rez.

Admittedly, the 9800Pro does struggle with a lot of games these days, but for all the games I have, the 9800Pro is a faster card than my XFX6600GT, perhaps only Doom3 is a tad better on the XFX, but then again, I have not tried the 6600 on this PC but only on the Barton, but from what I have seen, I probably will never bother either.

Associate
Mana said:
what u guys reckon 3500+ 1gb ram and a 7800gs agp be enough to last 2006?

I hope so.

The 9500, 9600, 9700 and 9800 series were all so decent that they really took the decision making out of buying graphic cards. Going up from a 9800pro though, it really would have to be a 6800gs or a X800XL AT THE VERY LEAST. There's not much in it between the 9800pro and 6600gt and the plain 6800 is only marginally better. My friend was happy with his up till about 3 weeks ago when he went out and did the full monty upgrade, now he's using a 7800GTX.

I wish he hadn't traded his old 9800pro in though as i've got a couple of rigs in the house that could use it.

Associate
the 9700 is the best card EVER. it will still play all the new games at low res just fine, wish my gtx's would last that long but I fear that 1 year down the line theyll be antiques.

Permabanned
yeah. My DFI NF4 is currently being RMA'd, so i'm back on the old trusty xp2500-m/9700np (down from an x2 3800 and 7800gt, both WC'ed and highly overclocked) and i've just completed Max Payne 2, which looked fantastic, even on the ole 9700. These cards have definetely held their age very well. I got this 9700 for about 45 quid a year or so back, just as a spare/backup type thing, and once you remove the shim and add an old arctic silencer, it really OC's well.

I'm about to give Empire At War (demo) a go, see how it can handle a modern game, but im hoping for some good results.

Soldato
oh, did not think 9800pro could handle doom3, I stand corrected. Just shows what a good card it was.
I had a fx5900 before my 9800pro & really noticed the difference even though they were the same class.

Soldato
I think for me, that Doom3 was the first time I saw the 98p actually struggle at high rez.

Stil holds its own though, dont get me wrong, but in order to let the game play completely flawlessly, I had to knock it to 800x600 cos in 1024x768 it was struggling too much.

Soldato
FatRakoon said:
What has happened, is simple.

I have done the same with Motorbikes.

When I was 19, I bought a MotoGuzzi 1100, straight from a 125 FFS!

Now, I have a big problem with smaller bikes. I currently have a GS80 and a ZZR600, and even though the ZZR600 is a good runner fairly ok condition considering its been written off 3 times ( not by myself - I found out later ) and the GS is a rot box that probably will never get back on the road, I am willing to trade the ZZR600 to anyone who can rebuild the GS, purely because its a bigger bike, even though the GS like I said, is a cronk and the Kwak has never missed a beat.

I have already owned a goldwing too, and thats all before I was 30, and now I am hating going to a lesser sized bike.

Ist the same with graphic cards... You go too high, your expectations are high, and you wont go back even thoguh the game will play pretty much 100% the same, just slightly lower rez.

Admittedly, the 9800Pro does struggle with a lot of games these days, but for all the games I have, the 9800Pro is a faster card than my XFX6600GT, perhaps only Doom3 is a tad better on the XFX, but then again, I have not tried the 6600 on this PC but only on the Barton, but from what I have seen, I probably will never bother either.

well i am 25, upgraded from a 50cc moped to an 100 one to a 250 virago(sucked) to the Bmw F 650 GS now and wanna sell that over the new 600 gixxer...that means i have another 5 years to experiment cos i am going back to the beemer after that? :p...
I think you are right tbh with the graphics cards...my brother has a gf 2 ultra that i paid for £300 when it came out ages ago and a p4 2.53 (533)...the card rocked back then.I cant see my bor complaining with its gameplay though! hes playing every game he finds without complaining.Surely its graphics for 1024x768 aint bad at all...i think i am a spoiled kid nowadays :D

Back
Top Bottom