Website critique.

Caporegime
I've been asked by the owner to help advise some changes to the company website. Quite frankly I think it looks like something from the 90's but I can't quite put my finger on what all the problems are here, colour scheme, font size and the number of bullet points can be improved as well as a couple of bugs, unfortunately it was created with one of those diy website creation sites.

Last edited:
Soldato
Needs some form of body (i.e. sides) to help guide the eye. More than one colour. Set apart the navigation bar and smaller font.

Associate
Well, the poor quality of those first two images make the site look cheap..

The menu is awful :eek: In FF4 it's completely moving when you hover over a link...

Could have a far better layout..

Caporegime
OP
Do you think the flash video should go as well?

I've moved the logo to the top right and significantly reduced the size of the images and the font size.

Last edited:
Associate
I think i would get Wordpress installed on a PC and then start to look at the templates on offer and lift as much as possible content wise into that. At least it gives you a quick starting point and something to show. Then redevelop it.

Good luck!!

Mark

Soldato
I think i would get Wordpress installed on a PC and then start to look at the templates on offer and lift as much as possible content wise into that. At least it gives you a quick starting point and something to show. Then redevelop it.

Good luck!!

Mark

This^^^. Or something similar. I think you are chasing your tail trying to revamp that site as it stands.

Lift the content and transfer it over to a new site. If you use a template of some sort it would take a day to complete, tops. I suppose it depends on whether you are doing it as a favour and how much time you can afford to invest in it or if you will be recompensed for it in the form of a fee.

The above is just my opinion though, your call m8. :)

Soldato
Extremely basic design. It's all of the things you mentioned in the OP to be fair. Needs scrapping and re doing from scratch. Bringing it up to date with a modern fresh feel.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I think it would be better doing it from scratch, however believe it or not that is a brand new website created by the owner (actually an improvement on the previous one!), and I'm not sure how well that would go down. :p

With wordpress is it easier for me to setup php on my pc or just use a web host to try it out?

Last edited:
Associate
Text is all over the place and has no structure. Different fonts, sizes and styles have been used not being consistent and not looking professional

I dont know if they are rollover images on the top menu but all that happens is the underlining blacks out.

Heres a tip to clean up your HTML, keep your css file seperate. Wouldn't harm you to download a few Css templates and adjust them to suit.

Definately use some sort of frame structure.

Hope this helps and all the best with getting it sorted

Commissario
The links spread out onto a second/third line depending on your browser window side. Golden rule - developing to standards, not just one user/browser.

Associate
...Black background and single coloured text spanning whole screen, although not necessarily yellow, are what reminds you of the 90s (or 'my first web page' ;))

The lack of 'flow' doesn't help either.

Also take a look at the grammar and check the spelling. There are way too many random capitals in the middle of sentences.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What do you think about the guestbook and "tell a friend" pages, get rid? I don't think I've seen a guestbook for a long time.

You know I've just been looking at the code and realised what a train wreck it is!

Soldato
late to the party..but....old style and very sparse with little to shout out "look at me!"
guestbook, the comments this website are amazing look like they are written by 10 year old girls..and guestbooks are so, so out of date...
+1 for Wordpress, nice and easy to use, anyone with an account can post a blog/news/update site, including via mobiles etc. can easily accomodate mobile users (real growth area) need I go on?

Associate
The document layout doesn't make much sense - h2 for the first title, then a h1... plus most of the layout is done with tables. As said, the images are pretty bad quality. The prices page could really do with a bit more colour to break up the table...

It looks a bit weird with the massive horse banner at the top, then the logo. And the top navigation bar doesn't match the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom