Website critique.

Caporegime
OP
My advice, advise them to employ a Web Designer. :p

Oh how I've tried. :D

The document layout doesn't make much sense - h2 for the first title, then a h1... plus most of the layout is done with tables. As said, the images are pretty bad quality. The prices page could really do with a bit more colour to break up the table...

It looks a bit weird with the massive horse banner at the top, then the logo. And the top navigation bar doesn't match the bottom.

I've removed the horrible navigation at the bottom, moved the logo to the top left, shrunk the images, I'll probably get some stock images where appropriate. Replaced the generated code with my own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh how I've tried. :D

Ah, feel sorry for you dude! In that case I offer some simple advice.

Scrap that site off straight away, there's so much wrong it would be quicker to start from scratch.

Get a CMS (I think Drupal for this), install it and stick a theme on top. Then simply drop the content from the current site in.

Alternatively, if they have any budget at all, send them my way. :p

Soldato
similiar to above but cheaper...if you decide to go down the cms route with wordpress I'll make you a theme that looks kinda similiar if you want for nowt, just a credit...

Associate
It's terrible. I think you should have went with an open source web platform such as Joomla. Did you just make it using Dreamweaver and HTML/CSS or something?
Also Apache for PHP, you'll probably want the latest. 5.6

Caporegime
OP
It's terrible. I think you should have went with an open source web platform such as Joomla. Did you just make it using Dreamweaver and HTML/CSS or something?
Also Apache for PHP, you'll probably want the latest. 5.6

The person who made it created it using create.net, which from what I can tell automatically generates the code.

What's the name of the apache project?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So far I've just been editing the content in notepad++ and running it from apache tomcat on my windows pc.

Are there any free php hosts that I could put the site on while I'm developing it?

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 for xampp. free hosts=slow site, which even for testing is a pain. Tsohost however do a decent lite package which is £14.99 a year and if you ever want to host a few sites is fantastic value. Hit me up if you want any more info or a referral etc.

Caporegime
OP
Out of interest how much would it typically cost to have a brand new website like this created if I managed to convince them?

E-commerce, need customers to be able to buy goods and services.
Online booking system, tied to the above I guess, need people to be able to book services in advance for a specific time & day and pay for them by credit card.
The ability for customers to buy different levels of membership which affect the price and availability of aforementioned services.
Calendar of upcoming events.
Image gallery of events and general crap happening around the place.
The relevant pages already on the website, made good. :p

I think that actual "design", as in unique from scratch is out of their price league at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest how much would it typically cost to have a brand new website like this created if I managed to convince them?

E-commerce, need customers to be able to buy goods and services.
Online booking system, tied to the above I guess, need people to be able to book services in advance for a specific time & day and pay for them by credit card.
The ability for customers to buy different levels of membership which affect the price and availability of aforementioned services.
Calendar of upcoming events.
Image gallery of events and general crap happening around the place.
The relevant pages already on the website, made good. :p

I think that actual "design", as in unique from scratch is out of their price league at the moment.

Depends how much you convince them, prices differ, some of my mates can charge at least 2k for a project like that fully designed and a solid script, you just have to get the right person, just say it straight up, my sister can create something better and she doesn't know what a VGA port is.

You need to hire a web designer and a coder separately. Browse http://forrst.me

Associate
Is it necessary to hire a separate coder and designer if we're just talking about using wordpress templates?

nah.
WordPress is easy. If you need to rearrange something, or add something else to the template theme or modify something then it will require some code editing.

Straightforward code editing at best. I'm sure if you decide to use it, I can help ya'll out with any changes.

Soldato
In the XAMPP folder, look for a folder called, 'htdocs'. Copy your Wordpress folder into htdocs.

Then run XAMPP and open a browser, navigate to http://localhost. You should then get an XAMPP window and be able to see a list of 'projects' I think XAMPP calls them. The name of the Wordpress directory you made in htdocs should be there. Click on that folder and you'll be in Wordpress. :)

Back
Top Bottom