Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
My typing is.. OK I guess, not too clumsy.

Gateron oil kings seems to be ~ £6.50 for 10, radiant reds about half that price, is it worth paying for the lube service (never imagined I type that)

So many options, so how many boxes of switches you bought just to try does everyone have as I see this in my near future :D
Sticking with Gateron, Milky Yellow Pro are fantastic for the price.

Associate
Received my Epomaker RT100 in Grey yesterday (ordered directly from Epomaker on the 26th). I got it with the Wisteria Linear Switches. Its not a bad typing experience so far and not a bad sound, little bit more clack on the thunk than the Keychron on first impressions, but it so far seems to be a better 96% for me in the numpad/arrow key area.

Main things I have noticed is the little screen is very much a gimmick, it shows the time and gif okay, but the temp is location and not CPU and doesnt auto update from what I can see and the cpu % (on mine at least) just sits at 0%, and lets not talk about the backwards date on it. The one other thing I have noticed is the NumLock, CapsLock and WinLock lights do not seem to be working.

C0DOKx9.jpg
How are you getting on with this now you've had it for longer?

Soldato
I'm still having problems with the screen and with support and I being on different time zones it is basically one email each way per day. They say its because Im on the wrong firmware but have the latest download of their software and it says I am uptodate. They sent me some files via google drive to manually upgrade it but they do nothing, so now waiting for another response. The numlock and capslock seem to have fixed themselves though which is good.

On other points, the RGB isnt really that useful on this as the keycaps are not shine through and are quite close together so the RGB doesnt help with key lighting.

But I am sure you are more interested in the actual typing experience. I don't have a lot to go on, but I like it, the sound now I have been using it for a while is quite nice and the keypresses are pretty smooth.

I'm not sure I would recommend it for the full £120 it is on Amazon, but for the price I paid ($85 Delivered) it is a decent board. Proper enthusiasts might not like it as its a plastic case with no screws to open it with, all tabs and I don't think its meant for many changes as the keycaps are really designed to go with the style of the case.

Associate
That's a shame, I watched the LTT video on it and they had problems with the screen then but hand waved it away.

Just ordered up some switches, some Gateron G Pro 2 browns (as they were cheap), Aflion Shadow Tactiles and a single Gateron Oil King to test.

Associate
So the K10 Pro I ordered was a K10PH1 which I though was ANSI but it's the UK version so same model but ISO, yay!

Tried a few switches:

Keychron reds (came with keyboard) - very light linear, too light maybe now I've tried others?

Gateron G Pro 2.0 browns - I like the bump, but they feel 'scratchy' almost.

Oil Kings - definitely more satisfying to press than the keychron reds.

Aflion shadow tactiles - bought as I wanted a shallower press, they are noticeably different from the browns, bit heavier and bigger bump and much faster to hit it.

I think I'll install the shadows on the main keys and browns elsewhere.

The shadow stem in a brown is nice but the shadows are impossible to get back together, I trashed one and gave up as I didnt want to waste them.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m looking at getting my first mechanical keyboard. It’s currently between a Keychron V3 and K2 pro.

This will be used mainly for typing/programming. Which is the better pick? Both seem to have similar features with the K2 having wireless functionally which would be good. Unsure on the build differences?

Cheers.

Associate
For programming I'd prefer the TKL layout of the V3, but that's just me. Build quality wise they're both plastic cased, but nothing wrong with that. Note that some K series models don't feature hot-swappable switches.

Associate
Ah sorry it’s the K8 pro I have been looking at.
That is TKL and aluminium framed, along with hot swappable switches. The K8 pro seems to have everything the V3 has but better connectivity options. So I’m just wondering if it falls down on the build quality/feel over the V3.

Soldato
I recently got a Keychron K10. I liked that I could plug it in to the PC (switching to Windows layout with a physical switch) and also run it as Bluetooth to my MacBook Air when I was running on a second display, switching to a Mac layout.

I'm not sure if I'm just some kind of luddite, but I just don't get it. I don't see the appeal of a mech keyboard. It feels too light to the touch, and it feels like needless noise. Am I just a person who prefers a membrane keyboard after years and years spent on office PCs?

Associate
I recently got a Keychron K10. I liked that I could plug it in to the PC (switching to Windows layout with a physical switch) and also run it as Bluetooth to my MacBook Air when I was running on a second display, switching to a Mac layout.

I'm not sure if I'm just some kind of luddite, but I just don't get it. I don't see the appeal of a mech keyboard. It feels too light to the touch, and it feels like needless noise. Am I just a person who prefers a membrane keyboard after years and years spent on office PCs?
What switches are in the K10? I prefer linear switches myself with a bit of weight to them 55 - 65g bottom out.

You could replace the springs or layout a little more cash and pick up some better switches that may suit your preference

Soldato
What switches are in the K10? I prefer linear switches myself with a bit of weight to them 55 - 65g bottom out.

You could replace the springs or layout a little more cash and pick up some better switches that may suit your preference

Could also try silent switches.

It was bought with the Gateron G Pro Mechanical Red switch, which Keychron listed as their "quiet" option. Operating force is 45±15g

Associate
Is it a K10 or a K10 Pro?

If Pro, you could look to replace the plate with something softer (PC), add more foam etc..

'Silent' switches have a little bit of rubber on the stem, they feel a little mushy but they're about as quiet as you'll get off the shelf.

Alpaca Silents and Bobagum Silents come to mind for Linear options. There are sites that let you order samples to try, that might help if you were interested.

Associate
As I mentioned above the keychron reds are very light, you could pickup ~30 different/heavier switches and just replace the letters, that's what I've done so I don't waste money on a key I press once a week - although to be fair most switches are ~£6/7 for 10 so it's not like they're crazy expensive.

Associate
Pre-ordered a Neo80, based off the glowing reviews of the Neo65. Features, looks and price just lined up and I love me a TKL. Saw there's a Neo70 also but I'm still waiting for the Cycle7!

Gone for Navy with Mirrored Dusk weight, thinking I'll see what GMK Mercury or Infernal look like on it.

Back
Top Bottom