Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
Just bought an Epomaker TH80 pro. Very happy with it so far ive ordered some different keycaps and im toying with the idea of replacing the switches. The keyboard i had before was a Ducky Mecha mini which is still working perfectly but i wanted a board with the function keys and arrow buttons.

Associate
Just bought an Epomaker TH80 pro. Very happy with it so far ive ordered some different keycaps and im toying with the idea of replacing the switches. The keyboard i had before was a Ducky Mecha mini which is still working perfectly but i wanted a board with the function keys and arrow buttons.
Great value board. What switches did it come with?

Associate
My most recent build is a wooting in the fjell white. Got mt3 keycaps and silicone padded in the case. Quite like it, but it does not thock quite like my keychron q2 did. Plus I miss the knob....and arrow keys!

Associate
Moved my Wooting 60HE from the original case into a spare Tofu60 case I had in the cupboard - also meant I could change the original steel plate for a polycarb version and swapped the switches from the Lekker60 to the Lekker45 from Wooting.

It was also nice working with a hotswap board for a change! My last two keyboards have been soldered which I definitely think are my preferred way - especially for getting the ideal layout (7u space bar is the only space bar).

Changed the keycaps to GMK Bento which I've also had sat in a drawer for almost 18 months. The only part I struggle with is the red on blue text but I'm putting that down to being monumentally colourblind.

NghVK33.jpeg

Soldato
Moved my Wooting 60HE from the original case into a spare Tofu60 case I had in the cupboard - also meant I could change the original steel plate for a polycarb version and swapped the switches from the Lekker60 to the Lekker45 from Wooting.

It was also nice working with a hotswap board for a change! My last two keyboards have been soldered which I definitely think are my preferred way - especially for getting the ideal layout (7u space bar is the only space bar).

Changed the keycaps to GMK Bento which I've also had sat in a drawer for almost 18 months. The only part I struggle with is the red on blue text but I'm putting that down to being monumentally colourblind.

Is that the keyboard equivalent of Only Fools and Horses Trigger "I've had the same broom for 20 years. It's only had 17 new heads and 14 new handles" :D

Associate
Is that the keyboard equivalent of Only Fools and Horses Trigger "I've had the same broom for 20 years. It's only had 17 new heads and 14 new handles" :D
As I was putting it all together my wife literally said "it's not new though is it, you're just taking parts from other parts" which was lovely to hear.

Associate
So after debating buying a Keychron TKL keyboard i am now looking at a 75% ISO with QMK/VIA, RGB and have shortlisted down to the Monsgeek M1 or the Keychron Q1. Are they any other keyboards that have these features that i should consider?

Associate
Very much depends on your budget but, for a first board you can't really go wrong with either.
Thanks! Budget was originally for a Keychron Q3 plus switches and caps, so around (if not slightly more than) the £200 mark. I realised aside from the arrows and the Del key i rarely if ever use the other keys on my current TKL!

Associate
So after debating buying a Keychron TKL keyboard i am now looking at a 75% ISO with QMK/VIA, RGB and have shortlisted down to the Monsgeek M1 or the Keychron Q1. Are they any other keyboards that have these features that i should consider?
I have a Q1 (v1) and an M1. Both excellent, but the Q1 needs more work initially, especially to de-ping. V2 is better in that regard, but probably uch more expensive, and honestly the first thing I do with any board is tear it apart anyway. The M1 is basically good to go out of the box and a bit of a bargain.

Q1 was actually cheaper as I got it on a clearance sale. I'd say I slight prefer the layout of the M1. Both are QMK/VIA compatible, which I regard as a big plus.

Both are great and I frequently swap to them for general duty. I prefer a Full/TKL layout for some stuff (usually coding) as the muscle memory is strong when when I need the navigation cluster! For that I tend to use a QK80 or Q6.

Last edited:
Associate
M1 is an great keyboard, it was my first complete custom build. However I found both keychron and the M1 both come with no so great stabilizers. I have changed both to AP stabs which are really good imo

Associate
M1 is an great keyboard, it was my first complete custom build. However I found both keychron and the M1 both come with no so great stabilizers. I have changed both to AP stabs which are really good imo
Yeah i just watched a Hipyo Tech vid where he commented about the M1 stabs being not so good... Still i am intrigued!

Soldato
Hi all, I have owned a few mechanical boards and currently have a Logitech G915 which i dislike for a few reasons:
  • Keys just feel abit wobbly when typing and not satisfying at all.
  • Hate the G keys on the left as i keep pressing them when wanting to use Tab, Shift or Control.
  • Micro USB charging.
  • Abit too big i feel.
  • Just feels quite cheap in general.
After seeing a few videos on the NuPhy boards i have started looking for something new and have considered a few boards but seems most are out of stock.

Wants are:
  • Open to both normal and low profile.
  • Wireless.
  • Backlite (White or RGB).
  • ISO.
  • 75%.
  • Great typing experience, not so much of a gamer but want a nice experience every time i use my PC.
  • Tactile switch.
  • Something i can actually buy.
  • Budget £300ish.
Hopefully for the budget there is some good options above the likes of Keychron?

Ta.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I have owned a few mechanical boards and currently have a Logitech G915 which i dislike for a few reasons:
  • Keys just feel abit wobbly when typing and not satisfying at all.
  • Hate the G keys on the left as i keep pressing them when wanting to use Tab, Shift or Control.
  • Micro USB charging.
  • Abit too big i feel.
  • Just feels quite cheap in general.
After seeing a few videos on the NuPhy boards i have started looking for something new and have considered a few boards but seems most are out of stock.

Wants are:
  • Open to both normal and low profile.
  • Wireless.
  • Backlite (White or RGB).
  • ISO.
  • 75%.
  • Great typing experience, not so much of a gamer but want a nice experience every time i use my PC.
  • Tactile switch.
  • Something i can actually buy.
  • Budget £300ish.
Hopefully for the budget there is some good options above the likes of Keychron?

Ta.
For £300 you could a lot better than keychron, don't get me wrong they are good boards I own a Keychron K8 pro but had to mod it a little. The Qk75N would be worth a look, very easy to build. Zoom 75 may be worth a look, the hall effect Boog75 is in group buy at the moment but I believe its only ANSI layout from I can see.

Soldato
For £300 you could a lot better than keychron, don't get me wrong they are good boards I own a Keychron K8 pro but had to mod it a little. The Qk75N would be worth a look, very easy to build. Zoom 75 may be worth a look, the hall effect Boog75 is in group buy at the moment but I believe its only ANSI layout from I can see.
Thanks do you know where i can buy a Zoom75?

Back
Top Bottom