Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Soldato
I'd start with which layout you want, which features (Hotswap, Bluetooth, VIA support etc..) and how much you want to spend.

If you're wanting ISO then I'd recommend Keychron (they have a UK site or there are UK vendors). You can buy an ISO, VIA supported hotswap board with keycaps/switches included and have a solid start to then tweak. Mod it with force break, buy a different plate, caps, switches and so on if you want to.

Monsgeek are also a solid option alongside others people have mentioned like Glorious etc..

OC sell the Glorious 65% and 96% boards along with Glorious switches and caps etc.. so you could get a full bundle plus some extras.

Honestly depends how far you want to go.

I'd say the main one would be hotswappable. Wireless support doesn't bother me so long as the cable detachable. I've just had another look at the Wooting site, which says the UK ISO 60HE+ version is in stock. The keyboard, wrist rest and a case can be bought for £220, which doesn't sound too bad consider the reputation it gets. Although not sure on what the limitations of the Wooting are in terms of changing things up like switches.

Associate
I'd say the main one would be hotswappable. Wireless support doesn't bother me so long as the cable detachable. I've just had another look at the Wooting site, which says the UK ISO 60HE+ version is in stock. The keyboard, wrist rest and a case can be bought for £220, which doesn't sound too bad consider the reputation it gets. Although not sure on what the limitations of the Wooting are in terms of changing things up like switches.
Your main limitation for switches with the Wooting is they have to be hall effect switches, you wouldn't be able to swap from Wooting's Lekker45/60 switches to a Gat Brown, for example, as it's a completely different switch style. Actually swapping the switches is mega easy, it's the same as any other hotswap, you're just limited on what you can swap to.

Definitely think it's a good idea going with a hotswap board to start things off, that's the best way to find out what sort of switches you like using.

Your other option is going with someone like KBDFans and picking up a pre-assembled/pre-built keyboard. They have a 'ready-to-use' section where you can pick from different sizes/features etc. and then select your switches, the case colour, the plate material etc. and it comes fully assembled. They can get a little more expensive going this route.

Associate
Dammit, I've just finished my Monsgeek M1 which cost around £140.. and you've just made me realise the GMK vaporwaves would look perfect with it... but they cost £143 :D

Which board do you have? - I didn't think many Asus boards had hot-swappable switches.

You should still be able to change the caps either way though, as long as the stems are the right shape (they are on my Asus Cerberus).
Plenty of affordable caps available with a quick search ;)

Which board do you have? - I didn't think many Asus boards had hot-swappable switches.

You should still be able to change the caps either way though, as long as the stems are the right shape (they are on my Asus Cerberus).
Plenty of affordable caps available with a quick search
I have Asus Azoth so the board is customisable with hot swappable switches .

Associate
I have Asus Azoth so the board is customisable with hot swappable switches .
Yeah you'll be fine then... for some reason I had it in my head the Azoth used some sort of non-standard switch interface, but must have been thinking of something else...
What switches do you have in it at the moment?

You may have found this guy already, but Hipyo Tech did a couple of vids on modding it...

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to start a new thread but this seems the place to ask anything relating to mechanical keyboards!

I've been out of PC gaming for the last 12 years or so. Basically had kids and life took over! They're into gaming now though and I want to get them trying it out on the PC. First things first, I need a new mouse and keyboard because my old ones are just disgusting after all those years!

I looked around for a slightly smaller mechanical board and I've gone for a Epomaker TH80 Pro, just waiting on it arriving. Got it as it free's up a lot of desk space for me and I was just curious to try a mechanical board, but it's properly got me falling down the rabbit hole and I'm already looking at future plans and upgrades!

I've got a couple of questions though. I like the look of the Glorious 65% boards, but prefer a 75% layout as I do use the function keys quite a bit. However the price difference is crazy, its over double the cost. I'm just wondering what am I getting for the increase in cost?

That's my main issue, from cheap boards ordered from China up to things like the Glorious 65% boards, I can see the added features or improved quality etc. But the ones more expensive than that I struggle to understand the increased cost. To me they may have better switches etc, but why not just buy a decent barebones for £70 or so, then add the switches you want and it'll be a fraction of the ones costing £200+.

Seems like a grumpy question but its not, I just want to understand them more. Once somethings got me I try to fully understand every detail but everything I seem to find online is either super basic or way too in depth already assuming a lot of knowledge.

Associate
I was going to start a new thread but this seems the place to ask anything relating to mechanical keyboards!

I've been out of PC gaming for the last 12 years or so. Basically had kids and life took over! They're into gaming now though and I want to get them trying it out on the PC. First things first, I need a new mouse and keyboard because my old ones are just disgusting after all those years!

I looked around for a slightly smaller mechanical board and I've gone for a Epomaker TH80 Pro, just waiting on it arriving. Got it as it free's up a lot of desk space for me and I was just curious to try a mechanical board, but it's properly got me falling down the rabbit hole and I'm already looking at future plans and upgrades!

I've got a couple of questions though. I like the look of the Glorious 65% boards, but prefer a 75% layout as I do use the function keys quite a bit. However the price difference is crazy, its over double the cost. I'm just wondering what am I getting for the increase in cost?

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules here. I've had some excellent $35 keyboards from Aliexpress and some mediocre £100 boards from Uk sellers. Anything more expensive than that I research thoroughly to make sure I'm getting what I want.

Note that Glorious GMMK and GMMK Pro keyboards are very different- the first is plastic and built cheaply. Not saying they're bad, but in my opinion they're not the best value even at the pricepoint. The Pro is aluminium and generally more premium.

but why not just buy a decent barebones for £70 or so, then add the switches you want and it'll be a fraction of the ones costing £200+.

For me, that sentence summarises the whole point of "Custom" keyboards :)

Seems like a grumpy question but its not, I just want to understand them more. Once somethings got me I try to fully understand every detail but everything I seem to find online is either super basic or way too in depth already assuming a lot of knowledge.

You're going on the right track I think- try and understand every detail before comitting money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom