Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Got the AK820 just now. So only played with it for a few minutes.

Nice blue/white LEDs (No RGB)
Knob works for volume up/down/mute nicely
I'M NOT a fan of blue keys, very clicky. So I may need to swap with some reds for my son.
Not that heavy as expected. Build quality seems ok, if nothing special.
ANSI, so not my fave layout and some keys have the wrong characters because of that.

For £35 I can't really complain.

Got the AK820 just now. So only played with it for a few minutes.

Nice blue/white LEDs (No RGB)
Knob works for volume up/down/mute nicely
I'M NOT a fan of blue keys, very clicky. So I may need to swap with some reds for my son.
Not that heavy as expected. Build quality seems ok, if nothing special.
ANSI, so not my fave layout and some keys have the wrong characters because of that.

For £35 I can't really complain.
For 35 that's a bargain, considering you can change the switches and caps (which will increase the price a bit)

Yeah I think so, a good intro and for what I need it for it'll serve it's purpose as well as a more expensive one.

But those blues.... eurgh !

Just got my Keychron V1 Max (ISO) with the banana switches.

First impressions are very positive. Quite a solid keyboard with a nice sound when typing, although i will have to do something about the spacebar as it sounds a bit hollow.
I do have some blu-tack so will try to that, maybe do the Enter and Backspace as well.

After using a 60% keyboard for so long it is nice having some of the other keys back without having to use FN (Arrow keys, Delete and F keys).

I am used to having shine though keycaps, so don't know if i should get some for this keyboard or get one of those light bars for the monitor.

EDIT

Have put some blu-tack inside the spacebar and it sounds so much better. still not the same as the rest of the keys, but at least it does not sound like it is off a £10 keyboard. :D

Last edited:
Just got my Keychron V1 Max (ISO) with the banana switches.

First impressions are very positive. Quite a solid keyboard with a nice sound when typing, although i will have to do something about the spacebar as it sounds a bit hollow.
I do have some blu-tack so will try to that, maybe do the Enter and Backspace as well.

After using a 60% keyboard for so long it is nice having some of the other keys back without having to use FN (Arrow keys, Delete and F keys).

I am used to having shine though keycaps, so don't know if i should get some for this keyboard or get one of those light bars for the monitor.

EDIT

Have put some blu-tack inside the spacebar and it sounds so much better. still not the same as the rest of the keys, but at least it does not sound like it is off a £10 keyboard. :D
Foam works well inside of a space bar, also less weight for those accidental key presses

Foam works well inside of a space bar, also less weight for those accidental key presses
Thought i had some packing foam to try, but only had the blu-tack.

It has worked well though and has not added to much weight, so no accidental key presses yet.

Ordered a cheap light bar off Amazon as trying to get proper UK spec keycaps is neigh on impossible. :(

I liked the V1 but, as mentioned many pages back, I needed the num pad and bigger spacing. I do miss the knob.. #ahem#

Now I'm paranoid about my hollow sounding space bar, I've always heard it but now it's bothering me more :D

Last edited:
Now I'm paranoid about my hollow sounding space bar, I've always heard it but now it's bothering me more :D
Ha, sorry about that Rob.

To be honest, while i was waiting for it to arrive i was looking at videos of mods and saw about the space bar mod.
If i did not go on youtube i probably would not have bothered. :p

Think this is the perfect size for me as i have never used the number pad ever and the 60% was ok but did not like having to use the FN key all the time.

And the slippery slope begins.

Only had the keyboard a few days and have swapped the switches out already. :p

Got some cheap Akko silent switches (£30 for 90) because i'm usually typing early morning and late at night, plus my last board had silent reds so why not.

The Akko are so much better though. The reds where a bit scatchy and pingy and these really are virtually silent.

Wish they had a more manly name though. :D

Are they the penguin or the fairies? I feel like a change, maybe try some proper silent ones with low travel. I've got a mix of switches depending on they keys (mainly cost reasons) so I don't even know what I'm using right now!

Just ordered a couple of sets of cheap caps and a space bar foam piece (98p) Thinking I'll try orange/grey theme.

Last edited:
Akko Fairy linear silent V3.
Considered the penguins as they reviewed better, but i wanted linear not tactile.

Think if i get anything now it will be some shine through keycaps, if i can find some proper UK spec ones that wont break the bank.
All iso sets seem to be european but not uk for some reason.

Last edited:
TIL Blu-Tac can thoc-ify a spacebar :D

/searches that drawer full of random keys, bits of string, takeaway flyers, elastic bands etc. for the blutak I know we have

Got some new keycaps from my wife for my birthday (nerdy lotr rohan set from drop^^) so might be time to rebuild my zoom65 to ISO from ANSI! Could be new switches time to replace the default ones as well :)

Last edited:
I have a cheap CIY X77 board that I think has modding potential. Bought another bag of Gateron Black KS-9s, paid extra for supposedly lubed items, but they're still the same horrible pingy mess as the last batch :( So I bit the bullet and ordered a bag of Milky Yellows Pros. I slightly prefer the blacks (lubed) but I really can't be arsed to hand lube them this time, and I know the Yellows will be usable out of the box.

I have a cheap CIY X77 board that I think has modding potential. Bought another bag of Gateron Black KS-9s, paid extra for supposedly lubed items, but they're still the same horrible pingy mess as the last batch :( So I bit the bullet and ordered a bag of Milky Yellows Pros. I slightly prefer the blacks (lubed) but I really can't be arsed to hand lube them this time, and I know the Yellows will be usable out of the box.
Yellow pro's were my goto until I tried the ws morandi's, just slightly different sound and weight. Ordered some penguin silent tactile switches to replace some keychron reds in my k8 for work (find them too light)

I swapped out the blues on the AK820 for my Keychron reds as I know my son won't like the clicks, I've got some Akko Fairys on their way so I'll use those when they arrive but for now my numpad is very noisy!

Also picked up a couple of cheap caps sets to change up my keyboard as I think I mentioned, decided the white only layout on the AK820 was a bit boring so spiced it up little and hope my son appreciates it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom