Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Soldato
OP
Yes I am super excited about Phoenix and if it is just as nice as the cypher I have I will be super happy. If I can get it in Red and Gold then I will be super happy otherwise I will have to figure out what colour combo I want.

Associate
So I just went ahead and ordered a bag of Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow switches, I wanted linear switches that's stiffer than black switches, and these switches seemed like the best option I can get easily, now to decide what keyboard and keycap set to get, currently looking at GMMK Pro or Keychron Q1 with knob if it comes back in stock (or another QMK compatible keyboard with similar layout as these) and AKKO Midnight keycaps.

I've only ever used tactile and clicky switches, so linear switches are new to me, kind of, last time I used them was like 10 years ago and only briefly.

Took the plunge and ordered GMMK Pro and AKKO Neon keycaps (cherry profile, thought about going for ASA profile but since I'll be doing a lot of gaming and I'm used to using cherry profile keycaps for gaming).

Everything arrived today, and whoa, GMMK Pro is much heavier than I expected.

People weren't joking about some of the stabs being drowned in lube, there's too much on the stabs for spacebar and backspace that these keys don't come up quickly after being pressed, gotta fix that, but everything else seems decent.

Soldato
OP
Exciting news. The GMMK Pro was something I initially looked at when I started my keyboard journey but ultimately I wasn't sure I could get on with the smaller size and personally the looks didn't fit what I wanted. (be nice to see it when it is finished - I am guessing you got the ANSI board due to the keycap set you have purchased?)

I should hopefully have some more images of my Odin up shortly I need to chase my friend to find out if they have been done. Now that I managed to get a Razer Viper Ultimate mouse in white to match the Odin I want to get matched and retire my razer keyboards for good.

Associate
Yeah, I got the ANSI board, but not because of the keycap, but because I prefer it over ISO, and having access to wider range of keycap sets is a nice bonus.

Ended up taking it apart again to fix the stabs, even after cleaning it up, it was still sticking a bit, it still does that now but not as bad as before but at least this time this it's only the space bar doing it if I completely bottom it out, there's far too much lube in these stabs that even after cleaning it up, some still leak onto the stab pads, what were they doing when they applied the lube? And the rotary encoder doesn't seem to be built well on my board, like it's a bit hard to turn at times. For £150, I expected better, maybe I got a lemon and I need to get it replaced.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have went for Keychron Q1 instead, seems like a better built board and better value since it comes with coiled cable, and QMK/VIA support seems better, I can't even get RGB control, to be exact, per key RGB control, to work on GMMK Pro unless I stick with the default Glorious firmware.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks damn good, how much did you pay in £ in the end? I really like my KBD67 Lite but I really miss having a metal case.
Wasn't cheap at all, i got the kbd67 lite kit for around £125 brand new on mechmarket and then paid $244 for the Blade65 case so overall over £300. Still waiting for the VAT/tax invoice to come through from FEDEX as well as i didn't get charged before delivery. Switches, stabs, lube and other bits and pieces ontop of that probs equates to another £100 ontop.

Its wort it in my eyes though, totally transforms the board. ABS plastic cases just can't compete with a full metal case, the acoustics are so much nicer. I love the weight of it too, must weigh in at around 1.5kg.

Associate
Wasn't cheap at all, i got the kbd67 lite kit for around £125 brand new on mechmarket and then paid $244 for the Blade65 case so overall over £300. Still waiting for the VAT/tax invoice to come through from FEDEX as well as i didn't get charged before delivery. Switches, stabs, lube and other bits and pieces ontop of that probs equates to another £100 ontop.

Its wort it in my eyes though, totally transforms the board. ABS plastic cases just can't compete with a full metal case, the acoustics are so much nicer. I love the weight of it too, must weigh in at around 1.5kg.

Ooooof - that is expensive but looks to be worth it! Also, I bought the KBDfans switch pad (rather than the individual, it's a one peice plate foam) and the sound after is really pleasant. Quite cheap too.

Soldato
OP
Surprise drop off by FEDEX this morning! Yesterday evening it was still in France! Damn that was quick!

Very nice build there. 65's I just can't get on board with personally but that is a very well put together board. Hoping to have my next board (CW88) delivered new month but still waiting on updates currently with the state of production.

Associate
Returned GMMK Pro due to the issues I was having with it (see few posts up) and grabbed Keychron Q1 (without the knob), I should have went for it in the first place, no issues at all, I don't miss the rotary knob, no sticky stabilizers, QMK out of box works better than every version of QMK firmware I've tried on the GMMK Pro, I could have saved myself some headache.

Soldato
Anyone looked at the Matrix 8vx 3.0
https://prototypist.net/collections...x-8xv-3-0-keyboard-kit?variant=39725357236290
I liked the look of the V2.0, just looking for a new build, I'd like a nice 75% really, but no GB or decent ones in stock.
I looked at this with a few others on Discord after they recommended it but i ended up getting a Mr Suit instead. Do not regret getting a Mr Suit at all! Build quality is just incredible!

I'm using Holy pandas lubed gazzew method and they are super good, no ping or scratchiness with a nice satisfying bump. Looking at getting a ISO Pcb at some point which i will either Millmax or just solder the pandas in.

Paid £640 but worth every penny! Keycaps aren't permanent, i ordered some Infinikey OG's to go on this but i think i may end up going with something blue. Someone suggested GMK Striker which would look really good.

GcBtFJf.jpg

rWFAKHH.jpg

zuLdbOv.jpg

q4VSBAM.jpg

Associate
I looked at this with a few others on Discord after they recommended it but i ended up getting a Mr Suit instead. Do not regret getting a Mr Suit at all! Build quality is just incredible!

I'm using Holy pandas lubed gazzew method and they are super good, no ping or scratchiness with a nice satisfying bump. Looking at getting a ISO Pcb at some point which i will either Millmax or just solder the pandas in.

Paid £640 but worth every penny! Keycaps aren't permanent, i ordered some Infinikey OG's to go on this but i think i may end up going with something blue. Someone suggested GMK Striker which would look really good.

The Mr Suit is lovely, thats a really nice colour as well, very envious. Where did you get it, off OWlab or private?

I was going to buy a mammoth 75 then talked myself out of it, wish I hadn't now.

Soldato
The Mr Suit is lovely, thats a really nice colour as well, very envious. Where did you get it, off OWlab or private?

I was going to buy a mammoth 75 then talked myself out of it, wish I hadn't now.
It was a private sale, spotted it an hour or so after it was posted on reddit. Shockingly but not surprisingly it had already had a lot of interest so figured i had already missed the opportunity. Spoke to the guy and to my surprise it was still available so made my offer and he accepted. Pretty much got the board next day via RM next day 1pm delivery and made sure it was fully insured.

I'm glad i did tbh, the mammoth75 is a nice board but the knob is just a little too big for my liking. The Matrix though, if you haven't got a 75/TKL i would definitely jump on that.

Sound test of the Mr Suit with Holy Pandas

Last edited:
Associate
£640 is a good price from Mechmarket. Seems you got very lucky.

Sounds lovely. I have a Frog and few lesser boards like Ikki68, NK87 etc but want something else. A 7v is on the list, but people often want ridiculous money. Too many treat KB as money making investment rather than a hobby, and buy up the stuff users actually want.

Back
Top Bottom