Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
Hoping someone here can help me figure out something since the internet isn't helping much.

I have a Keychron V2 keyboard that just won't go to sleep after a certain amount of time (I have the timeout set to 15 mins (900000 ms), but the LEDs would just stay lit up.

In rules.mk I have this line

IDLE_TIMEOUT_ENABLE = yes

And in config.h I have these two,

#define RGB_DISABLE_WHEN_USB_SUSPENDED
#define RGB_DISABLE_TIMEOUT 900000

I had same settings for my Keychron Q1 that worked previously, but not anymore (when I had it configured, timeout was set to 30 minutes (1800000 ms)), but after changing the timer, it won't sleep, and even after going back to 30 minutes, it just won't timeout anymore.

I've looked all over, I can't find a solution that works, I'm stumped, what am I missing? Aside from these few lines, I don't have much experience in programming for QMK.
Sorry, just use VIA. There's a couple of posts on Github that might help you?

Soldato
Just built my first custom keyboard, it really is a different world in terms of build quality.

AA5-C02-ED-B414-4054-9948-E999995-B497-B.jpg

Soldato
It’s a cannonkeys brutal v2.
Switches are Gateron Oil Kings
Caps are PBTfans dolch.
ahhhh! fair enough! Can never full tell from top down shot.

Oil kings are a great choice! Used them in a few boards myself but i found a weird rattle on stab keys with certain caps. Not sure if you've experienced this as well. Mostly happens on spacebar and backspace.

Dolch is a perfect match, looks so good mate!

Soldato
ahhhh! fair enough! Can never full tell from top down shot.

Oil kings are a great choice! Used them in a few boards myself but i found a weird rattle on stab keys with certain caps. Not sure if you've experienced this as well. Mostly happens on spacebar and backspace.

Dolch is a perfect match, looks so good mate!
Thank you, I’m really happy with it.

How long do I give myself before buying a silly cable.

Soldato
Thank you, I’m really happy with it.

How long do I give myself before buying a silly cable.
I'll give you a week max before you cave in lol. OCUK uses Pexon for their custom build cables, he's a one man team but his work is amazing. I have a patina'd custom cable from him, very pricey but if its quality you want, then go to him.

Soldato
OP
So has been a while and have been waiting on parts to finally arrive but finished building my JJW Cloudline

TyD5qcu.jpg

This is built with:

JJW Cloudline (Red)
AEBoard Raeds V2 (lubed and filmed)
Copper ISO Plate (Custom made)
PBTFans Pyga

Some additional images:

pNV6Y04.jpg

The custom plates I ordered (Brass, Aluminium and Copper)

sVLmB1g.jpg
Switches in the Copper Plate.

Associate
Managed to pick up a Nuphy Halo 65 with extra key caps and a translucent wrist pad for £85 second hand.

Very nice.

Just need to switch out a couple key caps to make it more like a Uk ISO rather than the ANSI layout.

I know that there are actual differences between the two Keyboard layouts but it doesn’t bother me whilst working so yeah.

Soldato
Chaps I did consider starting a thread but I thought it better to post in this existing one.

I'm all set to buy a mechanical keyboard. I had initially settled on the Keychron V1 which is a 75% layout with two tone keycaps, a blue colour for the letters and a darker grey/black for the other keys. It's available in Iso UK layout and they supply extra keycaps for the windows keys and a couple of others. Gets good reviews all over the place.

However once delivery is factored in the cost is £106 and it gets shipped from China I believe so will be a couple weeks, and could make warranty returns awkward. I'm not sure if any import duty or vat will be added on to that price either.

So I looked instead at the Glorious barebones keyboards that ocuk sell. Choosing a TKL with Gateron red switches and a keycap set seems to put me in the region of £150. Downsides are that the Glorious keyboard doesn't use a usb c connection, and I'm not 100% sure the keycaps will be proper UK layout.

I'm not sure what to do.

I definitely want full UK layout, no compromises on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Chaps I did consider starting a thread but I thought it better to post in this existing one.

I'm all set to buy a mechanical keyboard. I had initially settled on the Keychron V1 which is a 75% layout with two tone keycaps, a blue colour for the letters and a darker grey/black for the other keys. It's available in Iso UK layout and they supply extra keycaps for the windows keys and a couple of others. Gets good reviews all over the place.

However once delivery is factored in the cost is £106 and it gets shipped from China I believe so will be a couple weeks, and could make warranty returns awkward. I'm not sure if any import duty or vat will be added on to that price either.

So I looked instead at the Glorious barebones keyboards that ocuk sell. Choosing a TKL with Gateron red switches and a keycap set seems to put me in the region of £150. Downsides are that the Glorious keyboard doesn't use a usb c connection, and I'm not 100% sure the keycaps will be proper UK layout.

I'm not sure what to do.

I definitely want full UK layout, no compromises on that.

Ok, so the question is what is your max budget and I am assuming you are looking more for a pre-built custom rather than going through the build yourself process?

If you were looking at the Keychron via their website then what you pay should be it and you shouldn't get charged any additional import duties as it should include VAT in the price already.

I am also assuming a 75% board is what you are after or are you looking for something more like a 100% or any other size?

If you want a decent 65% which gives you the option to customize (it has a hotswap pcb so you change the switches if you don't like the ones it comes with)

But again this comes down to, do you want to build vs pre-build. I will warn you now that if you go the full custom route then have a budget in mind as keycaps can be the thing that pushes a budget over in a more budget friendly build.
The last thing you want to do is have a budget in mind and then suddenly you want a set of keycaps that cost as much as the rest of the build.

Happy to give you whatever wisdom I have in my head since starting my custom mechanical journey 18 month or so ago now.

Soldato
Ok, so the question is what is your max budget and I am assuming you are looking more for a pre-built custom rather than going through the build yourself process?

I have been considering the Keychron Q1 which including delivery costs is about £200. But I had then slightly reluctantly compromised on the V1 for half that price. So for a good quality, nice looking keyboard with the right features I could go to £200 max, this is a once in a decade purchase for me to go alongside my newly decorated home office/gaming room.

I don't mind building myself but don't want to be lubing switches or filling plastic cases with liquid silicone.

If you were looking at the Keychron via their website then what you pay should be it and you shouldn't get charged any additional import duties as it should include VAT in the price already.

Ok thanks that's helpful. Wasn't sure it being a china import.

I am also assuming a 75% board is what you are after or are you looking for something more like a 100% or any other size?

Either 75% or TKL. Don't really want to go smaller than that as it doesn't need to be portable and I don't want to lose too much functionality.

The Ducky keyboard you posted looks nice but I think 65% is too small. Ocuk has lots of Ducky styles but most are out of stock.

Last edited:
Associate
So has been a while and have been waiting on parts to finally arrive but finished building my JJW Cloudline

TyD5qcu.jpg

This is built with:

JJW Cloudline (Red)
AEBoard Raeds V2 (lubed and filmed)
Copper ISO Plate (Custom made)
PBTFans Pyga

Some additional images:

pNV6Y04.jpg

The custom plates I ordered (Brass, Aluminium and Copper)

sVLmB1g.jpg
Switches in the Copper Plate.
Amazing! Where did you get the plates cut?

Associate
I bought a Keychron K8 from that site for £96 I think, next day delivery. Aluminium but not hot swap or QMK. Hot Swap version can be had for about £110 I think

Soldato
OP
Amazing! Where did you get the plates cut?
I used a company called LaserBoost.

It took just over a month to get them sorted and that was over the Christmas period. I could have had them earlier if I had paid a bit more but was happy to wait as I had to wait for the switches to arrive anyway.

Really pleased with the results from them and would recommend based on my sole experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom