Well this looks awesome!.. Asus Eee Transformer Tablet

Soldato
How far over the 1-year period are you?

A few months over. I bought it for my wife on amazon usa (she's in the US), so I suspect the 1 year thing is not the same over there. Also, I am pretty sure it's just the cable come loose, as my little girl dropped it when it happened. The machine was still running just fine and it looks to be a common problem with the ribbon coming free.

If I have a T5, a phillips and a plastic seal breaker (I have one), then it'll take about 10 minutes all in.

Soldato
Well.. over multiple days over Christmas I've had the TF101 apart trying to get the display working again, with no success. It was working over HDMI, so I knew it was still working fine and the touchscreen worked. With nothing left to try I went with the Millenium Falcon fix... and turned it upside down and tapped it on a table top gently (with a soft place mat there) .... and the screen sprung back to life :) I was so excited, I even took a picture to proof it was working, in case it died again lol.

All seems to be working fine, and hasn't gone off again, although wiggling cables around did not help locate the original issue :( I will see how long it works for though. I might be getting a replacement 7" tablet for her instead.... we will see. I had forgotten how good the screen is on the TF101 :) Also, after using an android phone, and a 7" tablet... the tf101 is a joy to use. Certainly not impressive performance wise compared to newer kit, but still good :)

We bought a leap pad 2 for our little girl though.... lol (so it won't get dropped again with luck!).

Oh, and Merry Christmas from the USA :)

Soldato
With the price trends atm I don't think you can ask much at all. I'd probably keep it until it's useless. That's my plan with mine.

I'm always keen to get a new gadget to play with, but my tf101 still does everything I need a tablet to do. I just can't see any genuine reason to replace it. Its not as if there is anything more innovative that's tempting me. Apple stuff just continues to be basically the same products, it's barely changed since the original iPhone, and win8 tablets look like they're going to be too expensive.

Soldato
Agreed, although the TF101 isn't as slick as some of the newer android tablets, it holds its own through form factor, functionality and a decent screen.

In fact, new Android tablets don't really offer anything new. Except Jelly Bean, which seems like it will never make an appearance on the TF101 in an official sense. Shame. I toy with trying custom roms but have never taken the plunge. Too many stories of bugs and problems, plus random reboots seem like a big issue on all roms. I never had any for ages until the last 2 weeks or so and the tablet has 1 or 2 times. Never changed firmware, seems like a hardware issue triggered by software to varying degrees and I'm not sure if it's reproducible enough to easily obtain a working replacement.

In short, more than happy for now.

Soldato
It's funny because I could never go back to the TF101. My major qualms with it were always the size/weight and the lack of colour in the screen.

If you were not looking to upgrade massively you might consider a side grade to a tab 10.1, I went from the TF101 to the tab and everything about it felt so much better.

But I'm on my fourth tablet now... Other end of the spectrum lol

Associate
still love mine and family allways comment about how good it is with the dock,
got mine working with the ppp widget and a voda dongle for internet out and about
but as some has said its quite heavy to lug about. the video is very good outside but naff inside so ill keep mine untill something else takes my fancy

Back
Top Bottom