Well, this was always on the cards....

Caporegime
OP
That was the right choice. The E38 is a lovely thing but as Fox said, yours was the wrong model and spec.
Yes absolutely, shame it wasn’t a nice 740 / 750 Sport (believe me, I looked!) but, it was the best - by some margin - I could find, tbh though the spec is what seems to have generated the interest on the group I advertised it on, had 7 different offers for the heated wheel alone and 3 different people asking about the illuminated door handles....

Yes buying a then 17yr old barge with a ridiculously expensive suspension option to use as a daily driver without a garage to keep it in wasn’t the most sensible idea, it was always about scratching an itch and I don’t regret doing so, how it ended for sure but meh, done it now! :)

That seems like the result that you wanted. Stick the cash in your pocket and spoil your granddaughter rotten :cool:
Yes I guess so, I must be getting old - I was really pleased to strap her into the isofix seat the other night as opposed to the e38’s belt secured one, Grandad priorities eh? :o

You may joke but for that price I would have, and then sold the front bags and put coilovers on it instead. :p
Except it doesn’t have front (nor rear for that matter) bags. ;) :D

I’d put money on it ending up on coil overs - a common thing for E38’s - although I do suspect it’s going to end up broken for parts as it’s worth more in bits than complete as it stands and the (eastern European) buyer didn’t seem particularly bothered about checking the bodywork - he viewed it in the dark for a start - he was much more interested in how the gearbox engaged gears and listening to the engine etc.

Shame if it’s the end for it I guess but ultimately he can do what he likes, it’s his now, not mine.

Soldato
I’d put money on it ending up on coil overs - a common thing for E38’s - although I do suspect it’s going to end up broken for parts as it’s worth more in bits than complete as it stands and the (eastern European) buyer didn’t seem particularly bothered about checking the bodywork - he viewed it in the dark for a start - he was much more interested in how the gearbox engaged gears and listening to the engine etc.

Shame if it’s the end for it I guess but ultimately he can do what he likes, it’s his now, not mine.

Using it as a donor car perhaps?

Caporegime
OP
Using it as a donor car perhaps?
Wouldn’t be surprised, especially given I’d mentioned in the advert that it needing rust bubbles attending to and he didn’t look there at all just spent a few minutes under the bonnet poking a torch around the running engine (thought he was going to stick his hand in the viscous fan at one point!) and spent a few minutes going from drive to park to reverse to see if there was any delay or undue noises whilst doing so.

I just hope the V8 ends up turbocharged in an old e21 or something equally lairy! :D

Caporegime
OP
Holy depreciation Batman!
Aye true enough, but putting man maths to it the depreciation over 20 months is far far less than if I’d bought a new one! :o :D

One thing that surprised me (although not that much) I received a notification from a fellow member of the group I sold it on last night saying the guy has put it back up for sale @£2700 but this time with no mention of either the suspension nor bodywork issues, he’s either discovered that it isn’t the cheap fix he perhaps thought or is just trying to spin it around quickly and make a quick profit.

Not particularly bothered tbh he can do with it as he pleases but what does annoy me is I was open and honest about it’s condition and the work required and priced it accordingly whereas he’s described it as “immaculate” and used the photos from the dealer I bought it from back in 2017 to hopefully pass it on to some unsuspecting buyer....

Can’t see him getting that much (or what he paid me tbh) it’s MOT expires today and he’s got no V5 because I sent it off (now I know why he wanted to keep the V5 not filled out maybe)

I’m glad it’s gone and not still sat on my drive with no MOT but what’s annoying is someone can advertise something as “immaculate” in full knowledge it isn’t and more to the point has a potentially dangerous suspension problem.

He’s blocked me (probably in the hope I didn’t see the ad) and subsequently I can’t see it even though I’m a member,but,if somebody wouldn’t mind joining and could post a screen shot of the advert I’d be interested to see exactly how he’s describing it...

Faceache group name is BMW e38 Club UK

Soldato
Joined.

Is it the one in Manchester now?

Limited description:

Mint condition like new 100% original individual 7 series
•68k on the clock
•Heated comfort seats with massages
•Heated sterling wheel
•Towing Bar

Soldato
659-AF090-16-D8-4-A50-84-B7-7977328-C522-A.png

People have mentioned that it has suspension issues etc but he doesn’t care.

Soldato
I think you'll find, Vita pal, that it's "like new". Jeez...

This is why you don't buy old BMW's, everyone lies :D (except Scania)

Caporegime
OP
Joined.

Is it the one in Manchester now?

Limited description:

Mint condition like new 100% original individual 7 series
•68k on the clock
•Heated comfort seats with massages
•Heated sterling wheel
•Towing Bar
That’s it.

Talking rubbish - it’s not an “Individual” model for a start. :rolleyes:

People have mentioned that it has suspension issues etc but he doesn’t care.
He didn’t seem particularly bothered when he bought it tbh.

I think you'll find, Vita pal, that it's "like new". Jeez...

This is why you don't buy old BMW's, everyone lies :D (except Scania)
Story of my life, too honest for my own good at times, then again I sleep well at night.

Sounds like he’s rumbled on there anyway, wonder where it’ll pop up next?

Last edited:
Soldato
reddies, obviously in your pocket -

unbeknownst to me I’ve hit a pothole and smashed its rear suspension
so it was a broken spring, and the levelling shock ? did you restrospectively realise something was odd about the handling, or noises ? what was the lesson

I had a rear shock mount pretty 'gone' recently, but I did not appreciate what the clicking noise was, until I obssesively investigated

Caporegime
OP
reddies, obviously in your pocket -

so it was a broken spring, and the levelling shock ? did you restrospectively realise something was odd about the handling, or noises ? what was the lesson

I had a rear shock mount pretty 'gone' recently, but I did not appreciate what the clicking noise was, until I obssesively investigated
Didn’t have a clue until I took it early for its MOT (assuming at its age it would need something) only when the tester pointed it out did I realise it was sitting lower on the O/S/R than the N/S/R.

The odd thing was driving back from the MOT I was surprised as to how well it still rode, no knocks,nothing.

Caporegime
OP
No, not by that much :D
To be honest, I’d noticed the mismatch when I bought the car and thought it a fault but it was soon confirmed by other owners that it’s normal for a variance of a cm or so,which it was, I’m quite embarrassed that I hadn’t spotted such a variance prior to the MOT though. :o

Back
Top Bottom