welp, we all get caught out some time

Soldato
OP
well, returned it yesterday, the usual "i can't see a fuel leak", probably because it's leaked out all the fuel over the past couple of weeks.

still, he gave me my money back and hopefully this cheque doesn't bounce so i can put this whole business to bed.

Soldato
well, returned it yesterday, the usual "i can't see a fuel leak", probably because it's leaked out all the fuel over the past couple of weeks.

still, he gave me my money back and hopefully this cheque doesn't bounce so i can put this whole business to bed.

You accepted cheque? What are you going to do if it doesn't clear :o

Soldato
OP
You accepted cheque? What are you going to do if it doesn't clear :o

the same thing as i'd have to do if he refused to give me anything- take him to small claims. it'll be a hassle but i'll go there if i have to.

except now i have written proof that he agreed to refund the money and a firm date as to when it was issued as i lodged it the same day.

hopefully he's got the message already that i'm not going to back down until i get my money and agrees with my feelings that getting this over and done with quickly is the best outcome.

Soldato
OP
Will you do the right thing now and buy an mx5 ? ;)

maybe, kinda been put off the notion of a cheap sports runabout for a while. think i'll wait until i can afford to go a bit more upmarket and have nicer examples to choose from.

i don't think there's anything wrong with the mr2, it was just a particularly bad example.

Soldato
the same thing as i'd have to do if he refused to give me anything- take him to small claims. it'll be a hassle but i'll go there if i have to.

except now i have written proof that he agreed to refund the money and a firm date as to when it was issued as i lodged it the same day.

hopefully he's got the message already that i'm not going to back down until i get my money and agrees with my feelings that getting this over and done with quickly is the best outcome.

True :)

Soldato
maybe, kinda been put off the notion of a cheap sports runabout for a while. think i'll wait until i can afford to go a bit more upmarket and have nicer examples to choose from.

i don't think there's anything wrong with the mr2, it was just a particularly bad example.

I bought my MK1 mx5 in November for £2k. Japanese import in 2007. Only issue I've had with it was a split coolant hose.

I've covered around 4k miles in it since, hard driving, cold winter starts etc. You just got unlucky in my opinion. Newer cars won't be as "raw" so imo stick with older 90s rwd two seater.

Soldato
OP
I bought my MK1 mx5 in November for £2k. Japanese import in 2007. Only issue I've had with it was a split coolant hose.

I've covered around 4k miles in it since, hard driving, cold winter starts etc. You just got unlucky in my opinion. Newer cars won't be as "raw" so imo stick with older 90s rwd two seater.

the original mx5 i looked at was like you described, but sadly i wasn't the only one that thought so.

Caporegime
well, tomorrow is going to be interesting.

managed to arrange transport to get the car towed back down for £50, which is extremely reasonable, rang him up to confirm and to quote his words "i'll tell you now i ain't paying for the transport"

sneaky *******, the sensible part of me is thinking i should just get the money and leave it, the not so sensible part of me is thinking money be damned take the ****** to court just to teach him a lesson.

Please take him to court and tell us all about it...

Associate
I think you've decided the right thing for what it's worth. Having taken a garage to small claims court (for £2.5k or so) and having it drag on for ~12 months start to finish, I certainly wouldn't bother for £50 regardless of the principle...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah defo name and shame.

Or at least jot up a quick review to post to a handful of the review sites.

I would actually bet the MR2 was back on his forecourt before you arrived back home.

Soldato
OP
Yeah defo name and shame.

Or at least jot up a quick review to post to a handful of the review sites.

I would actually bet the MR2 was back on his forecourt before you arrived back home.

i've been keeping an eye out incase he feels like trying that one, but he seems to have at least been smart enough to hold on. although i suspect his repairs will be temporary at best.

i'm going to hold off naming and shaming for now, until i'm absolutely sure my part in this is over and i have my money safe and sound.

Back
Top Bottom