What 125cc should I buy?

Man of Honour
Jealous, if there's going to be an age before i can do the direct access i may have to suck it up and just live with a 125 and one of these would do me great.
Sorry I should have typed YBR.

I think you have to be 24 years old to do DAS. I am doing DAS and didn't initially intend to get a 125. But with lockdowns causing such a backlog of tests I decided to get a 125 for a few months and sell it in spring or summer when I hopefully pass. Although I could just wait, I decided to get the 125 to practice several areas I personally felt needed improvement on my CBT. Given that I have long wait for my theory, mod 1 and mod 2 it just seemed worth it

Soldato
Sorry I should have typed YBR.

I think you have to be 24 years old to do DAS. I am doing DAS and didn't initially intend to get a 125. But with lockdowns causing such a backlog of tests I decided to get a 125 for a few months and sell it in spring or summer when I hopefully pass. Although I could just wait, I decided to get the 125 to practice several areas I personally felt needed improvement on my CBT. Given that I have long wait for my theory, mod 1 and mod 2 it just seemed worth it
I did my CBT a few weeks back, i'm 34 so DAS seems the way to go. Given that i cannot book the theory and there will be a backlog of re-books because of the lockdown it could be quite some before i get to do the mod 1/2. Like you if i get a 125 it will only be until my mod1/2 is done and i can move to a 600cc or something similar. I'm just keeping an eye out on local facebook groups and local bike shops on the off chance something decent comes up.

Man of Honour
Nice, congrats mate. Absolute troopers those bikes, nothing can kill them. Enjoy :)

I did my CBT a few weeks back, i'm 34 so DAS seems the way to go. Given that i cannot book the theory and there will be a backlog of re-books because of the lockdown it could be quite some before i get to do the mod 1/2. Like you if i get a 125 it will only be until my mod1/2 is done and i can move to a 600cc or something similar. I'm just keeping an eye out on local facebook groups and local bike shops on the off chance something decent comes up.
Good luck. It's not the best time of year to start learning but it's good fun. Mind out for wet roads, man hole covers and leaves, etc.

Associate
Not read the whole thread.

You want a 2nd Japanese four stroke. /End thread.

No Chinese crap.

£1000 budget on the bike. Spend more on a better helmet and gear.

My first bike was a TW125 .

Soldato
Not read the whole thread.

You want a 2nd Japanese four stroke. /End thread.

No Chinese crap.

£1000 budget on the bike. Spend more on a better helmet and gear.

My first bike was a TW125 .

I think at rhe moment it is quite hard to get something decent branded less than 1k. For example the bike you mentioned is on average over 1200. I can only guess the prices are high due to covid.

Associate
I think at rhe moment it is quite hard to get something decent branded less than 1k. For example the bike you mentioned is on average over 1200. I can only guess the prices are high due to covid.

I do appreciate prices have gone up.

The TW125 has become more 'trendy' since I had one over 10 years ago.

I stand by holding out for Japanese 4 stroke though. They hold their value providing you look after them.

Check gumtree as well as eBay.

Man of Honour
I found my YBR 125 on Facebook Marketplace. So it's worth keeping an eye out there too.

My heart did say VanVan but the YBR will probably be easier to sell in a few months. So my head won out.

Associate
Had a Suzuki RV125 VanVan for a few years. Absolutely loved it. It's probably the most marmite bike you can get.

Because it's a pretty hefty bike for a 125 it's pretty slow but for me that was a blessing and probably prevented me from going too fast and flying into a hedge. It's also got way more road presence than little moped style ones.

Soldato
I feel like an idiot for spending 4.5k on my 125 now after reading these comments :D. Well at least it looks fast :p. and I am happy
Itd be ok with spending it if I was an experienced rider and wanted a 125 for short commutes. I know people with powerful bikes and a small bike for the work runs.
For me I know I'm going to do some stupid **** so would rather do it with a cheaper bike. Something like falling of the bike when I've stopped that kinda thing

Associate
Itd be ok with spending it if I was an experienced rider and wanted a 125 for short commutes. I know people with powerful bikes and a small bike for the work runs.
For me I know I'm going to do some stupid **** so would rather do it with a cheaper bike. Something like falling of the bike when I've stopped that kinda thing

Fair enough. I guess it is just going to make me drive properly and more careful. so to be fair it could be a good thing

Associate
What bike did the OP go for in the end? I got myself a Honda CB125R in matte grey in march, a little under £4K. great bike to get to Uni and back and I'm 36 next month.

xgOotLv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom