What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Soldato
I've seen a lot of video's, the game looks absolutely awesome to me, but one thing, the UI Issues, I don't want to fight the UI telling me something is not possible or having to move my mouse 1 pixel precisely to lay out a road...

I will gladly buy this game when the UI/UX gets better, it looks very good imho.

I actually think a lot of game mess this up, I think Cities Skylines 2 is actually great because they greatly improved this over the first, if you compare the stock games, Cities 1 is **** and Cities 2 is great when laying out roads and stuff. Obviously Cities 1 has a lot of mods which fix it (mostly the anarchy mods).

Different games that spring to mind are Transport fever 1 and 2, both very nice games with some quirks but the biggest is the sometimes clunky placement/ui of stuff, spend to much time moving my mouse 1 or 2 pixels to do what I want to be doing.
Must admit I've cooled off on W&R a little bit, one of the campaign missions wasn't going anywhere no matter what I did to try and push it along. So actually back in Transport Fever 2 now, especially after discovering the wealth of mods - a huge range of British buses and trains which you can enable to play on a custom or random map.

Soldato
I have the same thing with Dutch trains in TF2, full Dutch trainset of the last 40 years, awesome :). We have a lot of Polish and German model trains IRL as well so playing them in the game is fun as well :).

I grabbed Vampire Survivors today and it seems very nice from the quick play I had to waste some time now and then. Nice game to just waste 30 mins without thinking to much.

Also grabbed NFS heat, it looked good, had relatively positive reviews ( most negs were about the online/origin requirement), but since I was already logged in in Origin it launches flawlessly from Steam for me. I think for that 3 or 4 euros it cost it is very nice, you can't even get a kebab for that money and I already had a good 2+ hrs of fun.
I actually like it very much, more so than Forza Horizon, much easier to get into, races are a tad slow/boring ish in the beginning but the customization/tuning of cars + graphics more than make up for it imho. Feels like I'm playing a modern NFS Most wanted, Hot pursuit 2 or NFSU2 (tho cars handle more arcady there).

Associate
Installed Mass Effect 2 few days back. Pretty sure had a playthrough of it good 10 years back as parts of it triggers memories :D Strangely enough reminded me of xcom 2, which was not long ago
Early mornings once everyone is still sound asleep Zelda breath of the wild on switch and big telly is actually loads of fun. Most switch games are remakes of a remake and not very good but latest zelda - WOW

Associate
Currently replaying stuff I've not played for years via the SteamDeck.

Finished Max Payne 3 for the first time in 10 years. Really enjoyed it.
Have you tried 1 or 2 as well? I'm wondering how they play as I find many older games don't play well with the deck controls

Associate
Currently replaying stuff I've not played for years via the SteamDeck.

Finished Max Payne 3 for the first time in 10 years. Really enjoyed it.
Just last week I was thinking about that, I never did play MP3 and suddenly I'm feeling like I should play it soon (got to finish Cyberpunk first...). The first two were so good at the time, though I'd be worried about going back to them now in case they don't live up to the memories!

Permabanned
I've discovered the joy of playing slightly older titles with up to date hardware - man, it's so obvious!

Performance is flawless at 4k.
Games look amazing.
They are all fully patched.
There's heaps of genuine reviews to help decide what to play.
They're all either cheap (sale) or included with Game Pass.
It takes so long to move onto newer games that they're no longer newer, so the process continues.
This is the way!

I did this with Quantum Break recently, never got round to it as didn't have an Xbox One or a gaming PC at the time, I couldn't see the resolution option in the settings (christ knows how I missed it) and I couldn't believe how bad it looked at 1080p, to the point I genuinely thought it was an Xbox 360 game and had totally forgot it was for Xbox One, anyway, finally found the resolution setting after having played it for a couple of hours, set it to 4k max settings, made it genuinely look SO much better I couldn't believe it!

It honestly was so ropey playing it on a 65" tv at 1080p high, at 4k it looked crisp and made the experience with a controller perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently playing Days gone and enjoying it, although I have to agree with some of the average scored reviews. Story is ok, voice acting is very awkward at times, the world looks nice, but feels really empty with just a handful of crafting materials and weapons to find. I also wish i'd played on a harder difficulty as hard is pretty easy after you get a few levels and some better weapons.

Soldato
Been playing lots of Space Engineers again with mates lately ... That or jumping into sole Valheim as we're still exploring the Mistlands and hopefully the Ashlands won't much longer so will have plenty more to explore once that releases!

Associate
Searching for that ARPG itch led be back to POE, having fun with the current league. Might check out Last Epoch, see how that plays, hopefully they have some free weekend although I'm not holding of breath.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Doing some electronic jigsaws. Quite relaxing! Great that you can put your own images in.

Back
Top Bottom