What are the best RPGs on the PC (single player)?

Soldato
I'm in need of a new game. I've played all of the Elder Scrolls games and have Kingdom Come Deliverance but I was wondering if there are any other games I have missed out on?

Any recommendations would be good :).

Permabanned
Divinity Original Sin 2.
Skyrim, bit old now.
Witcher 3 (though if you dont like endless story, repetitive combat, repetitive quests its not that great).
Dragon age: inquisition.
Mass Effect games.

Associate
As above, if you love repetitive gameplay and boring dialogue, the Witcher 3 is for you!

My suggestion: I believe guild wars 2 still has a huge user base. It’s not flashy in graphical terms, but it is so much fun. No fees to play online and inexpensive to purchase.

Edit: sorry, I just saw single player in the title.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s not for everyone. I found it boring - what can I say?
I've not played Witcher 3 (although now I'm nervous about it), but I thought Guild Wars 2 broke new ground in tediousness and boring grindy gameplay.

Which is what makes recommending games so difficult. Some people will like Witcher 3, some won't. Some will like Guild Wars 2, some won't.

OP, if you like the Elder Scrolls games, what about the Fallout games?

Soldato
If you can stomach some older graphics, then fallout 1& 2, and neverwinter nights are definitely near the top for greatest rpgs. Failing that, practically any of the ultima games.

Soldato
Fallout:New Vegas,and the original Mass Effect trilogy are worth considering. The Fallout universe is a post apocalyptic world based on an alternate 50s inspired universe and Mass Effect is set 150+ years in the future when humanity has spread to the stars.

Fallout 2 gives you a lot of choice but is not a 3D game.Dragonage Inquisition is fun.

I also found the combat in The Witcher 3 annoying - even Fallout 4 is better in that regard. It seemed to be orientated towards controllers and not the keyboard and mouse.

Soldato
As above, if you love repetitive gameplay and boring dialogue, the Witcher 3 is for you!

My suggestion: I believe guild wars 2 still has a huge user base. It’s not flashy in graphical terms, but it is so much fun. No fees to play online and inexpensive to purchase.

Edit: sorry, I just saw single player in the title.
TBH apart from the last mission, i did it all on my own.

Soldato
Witcher 3 >

Don't listen to the two above. :p It's the best game ever.

I suppose it's a point of view but a wrong one :D:p
It is boring at times due to the near endless cut-scenes and dialogue which just don't float my boat.

The combat is awful (this isn't for debate!), the fact you can just mash the roll button and be invincible is ridiculous and if you are M&K player like myself you just don't feel connected to the player at all.
However graphically it's still amazing, the story telling is also superb and the amount of content in there does put most other games to shame and some of the side quests are truly memorable, dead ghost baby I'm looking at you!!

Soldato
Witcher 3 is easily worth playing, especially at this price, and I'm also glad some people are starting to see it for what it really is:p

It's an 8/10, add two points if you've never read any good books and think the main story itself is amazingly written:D Love bad combat and poor pacing? Make it 11/10:D

Seriously though, some sidequests are great, albeit slightly formulaic, and the amount of content is great. Expansions put the main game to shame. I'd still be my recommendation before the others for the bang for buck alone despite its flaws.

Associate
If you can stomach some older graphics, then fallout 1& 2, and neverwinter nights are definitely near the top for greatest rpgs. Failing that, practically any of the ultima games.

I run through Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 and Ultima Underworld 2 every few years. Not sure they would be appropriate for anyone that doesn't get nostalgia value from them though. I didn't manage to get into Ultima Underworld 1 when I tried it, presumably because I didn't play it as a kid.

Soldato
As much as I love this game, I just can't get it to work on Windows 10 so that is probably worth considering if the Op was to buy.
I know there are various guide but none of them work for me.

The GOG version is far more stable than the one on Steam. I had to refund when I bought it on Steam because it just wouldn't run.

Back
Top Bottom