What are the best RPGs on the PC (single player)?

Soldato
Another vote for witcher 3. It is an excellent game. I loved it, and it's the first rpg I've played where I actually enjoyed the side quests. Stunning graphics and colossal maps too. Dlc is also epic.

Soldato
I'm in need of a new game. I've played all of the Elder Scrolls games and have Kingdom Come Deliverance but I was wondering if there are any other games I have missed out on?

Any recommendations would be good :).

Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls Online.
You might think the latter is an MMORPG but actually only 1% of the game requires groups (group dungeons). In DLC areas big bosses, and only two DLCs require groups the Imperial City and Imperial Sewers.

You can easily enjoy the rest of the game (especially the storylines) by turning off the chat and play it as a single player, like Skyrim.

And it has so much content that after 1400 hours you might have still a lot of things to do still.
Dont be shy of Cyrodiil either (PVP area). On quiet hours or when you play while is working day you can go there in the morning and explore the place. Plenty of quests, dungeons etc.
And Cyrodiil map alone is bit bigger than the one in Oblivion. (by around 10%).

And make sure you get a horse as soon as possible and feed it daily.

Soldato
I run through Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 and Ultima Underworld 2 every few years. Not sure they would be appropriate for anyone that doesn't get nostalgia value from them though. I didn't manage to get into Ultima Underworld 1 when I tried it, presumably because I didn't play it as a kid.

I will agree with you alongside Ravenloft 1 and 2.

Lands of Lore 1 also is a great RPG, and something that will have bitter disappointment in life until my death, because I cannot find the journalist version of the game 25 years later.
It had an extra 24 levels after you crossing a bridge, that in normal game gets demolished as soon as you approach it. :(

Soldato
Isn't Nier:Automata considered good?

I found it masterful in many regards, as did the reviewers and many of my friends, but I don't think there's much appreciation for it here. I guess average graphics, not enough hype and too weird with a very unorthodox story structure.

There are better picks for a typical PC gamer and it's not a typical RPG either.

Soldato
I'm in need of a new game. I've played all of the Elder Scrolls games and have Kingdom Come Deliverance but I was wondering if there are any other games I have missed out on?

Any recommendations would be good :).

I have played through most of them.

The answer is Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Soldato
Witcher 3 has boring dialogue??? Are you guys nuts? Are you expecting Geralt to be all pepped up and loud like 90% of streamers popping all over the place? lol

It's dialogue is simply stunning and true to the books, as is the whole game. Witcher 3 is by far, the best RPG ever made.

Soldato
I didn't like Witcher 3 either, but I also didn't like the first two despite trying to like them repeatedly. Combat in Witcher never did it for me either, only thing I liked was exploring and playing Gwent!

Soldato
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas GOTY
Fallout 4 GOTY

All work perfectly on Windows 10 via Steam. Fallout 4 needs a powerful PC though to run @ 4K with the Ultra Texture pack!

Associate
If you are willing to try a different type of RPG then I can recommend Pillars of Eternity.

I've never been into the isometric, dungeons & dragons type games, but this has really drawn me in. Made me reevalulate playing the older games in this class too.

Associate
If you are willing to try a different type of RPG then I can recommend Pillars of Eternity.

I've never been into the isometric, dungeons & dragons type games, but this has really drawn me in. Made me reevalulate playing the older games in this class too.

I've long been looking for a DA:O replacement but never been able to find anything to scratch the itch. BG/BG2 I've tried but never really got into them - although admittedly I didn't give them enough of a chance.

Pillars of Eternity has changed this for me. I got it a few months ago in a Humble Bundle and just started playing it this week. It's not as polished as DA:O but I'm really addicted to it. The story line is brilliant and it's got a nice difficulty curve and you have to be tactical with fights. I think that after I've completed it (and it's sequel) i'll be able to go back to BG/BG2 etc. So it's opened up a lot of games for me :)

Soldato
Outside of Skyrim (which I cant stop adding mods to!). The best RPGs that I have invested serious hours in during the past few years have been :

-Pillars of Eternity + DLC (I have the sequel but I havent tried it yet)
-Baldurs Gate : EE
-Baldurs Gate : Siege of Dragonspear (Slated a lot, but I loved it)
-Baldurs Gate 2 : EE (its almost worth going through the first two just to enjoy this)
-Icewind Dale : EE
-Divinity Original Sin Series.

If we can count the Dark Souls series (more action orientated but with RPG elements, then these as well)

I have the Witcher series and I keep on hearing that the Witcher 3 is pretty much the best RPG out there, I just havent had the time to start them yet.

Associate
A lot of great RPG mentioned here,

I loved playing through the Kings Bounty games, they are similar to heroes of might and magic if you liked those games.

Wasteland 2 enhanced edition is also worth checking out.

I have also heard good things about the Shadow Run games but I have never played them.

finally tried witcher 3 after giving it a go a year ago and not being able to keep it up for an hour. have now played for about 15 hours- 20 hours and can confirm it's boring. the story seems like it's interesting, but getting through it all is so boring. needed more boobs

if zelda breath of wild could be considered an RPG, i'd suggest buying a second hand wii u or switch just to play it then sell the console on

Back
Top Bottom