What book are you reading...

Caporegime
Looking forward to the film myself, though decided to buy the book on the reccomendation of a workmate. Compared to the previous books ive read by seal snipers, (The red circle, lone survivor and seal team six) it does go into a bit more detail of the actions the author was involved in.

Man of Honour
Impact - Douglas Preston

Wyman Ford is tapped for a secret expedition to Cambodia to locate the source of strangely beautiful gemstones that do not appear to be of this world.

A brilliant meteor lights up the Maine coast and two young women borrow a boat and set out for a distant island to find the impact crater.

A scientist at the National Propulsion Facility discovers an inexplicable source of gamma rays in the outer Solar System. He is found decapitated, the data missing.

High resolution NASA images reveal an unnatural feature hidden in the depths of a crater on Mars and it appears to have been activated. Sixty hours and counting.

Really enjoying it so far. Multiple story lines that are all going to intersect and it's pretty fast paced.

Associate
Just finished the "Working for Bigfoot" stories by Jim Butcher from the urban fantasy story bundle a few weeks back (main reason I bought it tbh, the other books will get read, but I bought it for the new Dresden files stuff.)

On a bit of a Norse mythology kick at the minute so currently reading "Viking Myths: Stories of the norse pantheon" by Thor Ewing. Not bad so far.

Associate
I've just finished "touching the void" great book what those guys went through was absolutely mental, really enjoyed reading it.

I've now started rereading "Guards Guards" by Terry Pratchett absolutely love it.

Caporegime
Just finished walking dead the rise of the governor. Loved it, a good insight into why he became like he did. Would be a great spin off.

Also finished feast for crows book one. It's killed my enthusiam for reading anymore of the GOT books. Worst book I have read in about 10 years.

Soldato
Just finished Rheuss Chart from the Laundry Files series, another fantastic book in the series. Remember reading the first and being tempted to give in part way through, now I cannot get enough of the series.

Pick it up if you haven't already.

Reading the Retrieval Artist now, it's a futuristic noir/crime series I've heard a load of good stuff about so here's hoping!

Soldato
Just finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. All round pretty decent. Whilst it was comparatively light on world building themes, I thought the characters were excellent and the action scenes were awesome.

Started Gardens of the Moon today :)

Soldato
Just finished Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant Book Book 5) by Ben Aaronovitch. I read the first book in the series and was really taken by it; a good story with some good ideas behind it. I liked the characters, and I like the writing style. Book 2 carried on the story quite well, but then book 3 and 4 started to flounder. This is book 5 and it's just treading water now. It feels like there is no real progression to the main character, and the story is just being dragged out. Nothing interesting really happens, and there is no explanation as to why the incidents in this book happen. It could have been a good short story, but instead it just plods about pulling you along, teasing that something might happen, but it doesn't until the last quarter of the book. The only good thing, is that it would appear that the next book will be of significance to the main story.

Now on to An Officer and a Spy, by Robert Harris.

Associate
Am going to pick up Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
Heard someone talk about it on a podcast.

I've only ever read 2 books I think, so I am looking to read more.
Trying to find a book that is vey close to the whole lore around the Demon's/Dark souls games.

Man of Honour
Still working my way through "The Goldfinch", but I've found time to read "Failure in British Government" by Butler, Adonis and Travers. A book about the rise and fall of the Poll Tax. Sorry, "Community Charge". As someone who lived through all the events, and had to pay it (my security clearance meant that non-payment was a definite no) it was interesting, and made a lot of the background clearer. Probably wasted on anyone who doesn't remember the saga though.

Soldato
Just finished Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant Book Book 5) by Ben Aaronovitch. I read the first book in the series and was really taken by it; a good story with some good ideas behind it. I liked the characters, and I like the writing style. Book 2 carried on the story quite well, but then book 3 and 4 started to flounder. This is book 5 and it's just treading water now. It feels like there is no real progression to the main character, and the story is just being dragged out. Nothing interesting really happens, and there is no explanation as to why the incidents in this book happen. It could have been a good short story, but instead it just plods about pulling you along, teasing that something might happen, but it doesn't until the last quarter of the book. The only good thing, is that it would appear that the next book will be of significance to the main story.

Now on to An Officer and a Spy, by Robert Harris.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the series, apparently thre writer mainly wrote script work for tv shows in the past and I can see that in the books. They would work better as half hour tv episodes than 300 odd page books.

Man of Honour
The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
An absolutely amazing book and what a man. Far better than I could have ever imagined.

5/5

Back
Top Bottom