What book are you reading...

One

One

Soldato
So after a summer of very little reading the early and colder nights are drawing me into bed earlier which means I have a fair amount of time to read. I've finally finished American Gods. It was okay, but a bit weird. If I was supposed to get a message from it then it didn't work, but a good twist if a little anti-climatic.

I was still routing for Odin before I realised Shadow didn't like the whole plot. i.e. I thought shadows wife was going to ruin the great plan by not getting the stick to mr.world right up until just after that point I thought I was still supposed to be routing for mr.world/odin getting all their power back
I'm now reading Ham on Rye. Should be done with it in less than a couple of weeks. It's such an easy read, I really do love Bukowski's writing style. Concise yet full of meaning.

Soldato
Your list looks like my Kindle :p

Ones I have read that aren't on your list :

Black Company - Glen Cook (10 books)
Codex Alera - Jim Butcher (6 books)
Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
Psalms of Isaak - Ken Scholes (4 books plus a mini-book)
Takeshi Kovacs trilogy - Richard K Morgan
The Ties that Bind trilogy - Rob Hayes
Traveler's Gate trilogy - Will Wight
The Ashes Saga - Edward Knight (2 books and counting I believe)
Enders Game/Ender's Shadow series - Orson Scott Card
The Mongoliad Cycle (about 15 authors :p)
Prince of Nothing / Aspect Emperor Trilogies - R Scott Bakker

I'm wondering what next as well, going to start on the Void trilogy at some point I think but re-reading the Psalms of Isaak series before I start as it was pretty good. Also maybe Weapon of Flesh Trilogy - Chris Jackson. The first book gets fairly average reviews but the second two get very strong reviews so looks like quite a good series overall.

Yeah i missed out Black Company from my list but I have read it, a lot more suggestions from you though there that I haven't heard of or read though, so thanks! :)

Associate
I am currently trying to read through the books I have stored on my Kindle before purchasing any more.

In the last 6 weeks I have recently finished the follow two novels:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - this is an excellent novel and one of the best modern novels I have had the pleasure to read. It is long but I would strongly recommend picking it up and I will soon look to work my way through her back catalogue.

Huckleberry Finn – The first “American Novel” which is a truly excellent adventure story and Huck is a fantastic character. Be warned it does tail off in the last 50 pages or so (once Tom Sawyer returns to the adventure) and it can be quite hard to follow the conversations with Jim. Oddly enough I found it easier to read his parts out loud!

I am now reading David Mitchell’s Thousand Summers of Jacob De Zoet. It is my second attempt to start it and after 100 pages it does pick up (once I get used to his writing style and the fact all the names are in Dutch which can make it quite tricky to follow)..

Soldato
Decided not to start a new series, so I read Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean. What a great book! A cracking story, twists here and turns there, it's fantastic WW2 Jerry-bashing action from start to finish. I remember watching the film many years ago, and I'm definitely going to watch it again.

I enjoyed Where Eagles Dare so much I've just finished The Guns of Navarone. Another cracking book, perhaps even better! An exciting plot, great characters, action from start to finish, twists and turns - it is a superb action story.

Associate
This has just reminded me, I finished Barry Hugharts three books recently, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, such a shame he didn't carry them on as they were brilliant. Does anyone have any recommendations of anything similar?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Read all of the great man (David Gemmell) work multiple times.

Also have been reading a lot of Warhammer 40K omnibus/books so Gav Thorpe, Ben Counter, Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden comes to mind.

Currently catching up with R.A Salvatore work with the advernture of Drizzt Do'Urden is a good read as well.

Soldato
Are those the crime ones?

I heard they were good books but not selling particularly well, so ahe let her pseudonym "slip" by mistake and suddenly sales went up :rolleyes::p defeats the purpose of a blinking pseudonym!!

Soldato
I hadn't heard anything about it I just saw it on the store and thought I'd give it a go. Glad I did as Cormoran is a good character. Rowling gets stick for whatever she does - I guess that's part of her celebrity - but I went in with an open mind and enjoyed my time with it. OK it's not A Tale of Two Cities or anything but it's cool. :)

edit - I don't think she really cares about sales anymore!

Soldato
Are those the crime ones?

I heard they were good books but not selling particularly well, so ahe let her pseudonym "slip" by mistake and suddenly sales went up :rolleyes::p defeats the purpose of a blinking pseudonym!!

That's not what happened. Her lawyer let it slip to his wife who told her friend who twittered it. Rowling ended up suing her lawyers, and won damages for breach of confidentiality, and the fact that everyone was saying she "let it slip". It made her look like she couldn't hack it outside of the Potter books, which was exactly what she was attempting to do.

It's not like she needs the sales or money at this point, she just was trying to be a proper, grown-up writer without all the baggage that her Harry Potter success carries.

Soldato
That's not what happened. Her lawyer let it slip to his wife who told her friend who twittered it. Rowling ended up suing her lawyers, and won damages for breach of confidentiality, and the fact that everyone was saying she "let it slip". It made her look like she couldn't hack it outside of the Potter books, which was exactly what she was attempting to do.

It's not like she needs the sales or money at this point, she just was trying to be a proper, grown-up writer without all the baggage that her Harry Potter success carries.

Fair enough if that's the truth. I heard she leaked it but you know what rumours are like :)

I've been tempted to pick them up but I have that much to read they are on the back burner for now.

Soldato
Fair enough if that's the truth. I heard she leaked it but you know what rumours are like :)

I've been tempted to pick them up but I have that much to read they are on the back burner for now.
I don't think she would have won the lawsuit if it really was her who had let it slip.
I've read the first one and it was OK. The characters were really good but the plot was a little thin. I have the 2nd on my Kindle which I may read, but too many people have said that it's similar to the first book in that the characters are good, but not much of a plot.

Soldato
I don't think she would have won the lawsuit if it really was her who had let it slip.
I've read the first one and it was OK. The characters were really good but the plot was a little thin. I have the 2nd on my Kindle which I may read, but too many people have said that it's similar to the first book in that the characters are good, but not much of a plot.

Yeah I'm reading it (The Silkworm) now on my and it hasn't grabbed me like the first one did (I liked the whole Lula Landry story). I will persevere.

Man of Honour
X15 the rocket plane, flying the first wings into space.
Really interesting but not sure on the layout.

It kind of going through each pilot in turn. So you end one career then go back 15 years and start the next pilots career. Which is a bit odd. Still fascinating stuff though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Wasp Factory, which is actually very good, nice and short.

Moving onto The Hunger Games because it's something everyone I know seems to have read...

Associate
Like a lot of people I guess, the Game of Thrones books. 1 and 2 were very good, 3 was awesome. I've been stuck on book 4 for many, many months! The word "turgid" springs to mind.

Back
Top Bottom