What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just got Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Book is massive. Which is good, lots to read. But bad, because the first book in the series was split in 2 parts, and now the books are of different sizes. I like my series to be the same sizes :).

Permabanned
Just got Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Book is massive. Which is good, lots to read. But bad, because the first book in the series was split in 2 parts, and now the books are of different sizes. I like my series to be the same sizes :).

Love this author, seems to come up with excellent worlds.

Eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, cant come soon enough.

Soldato
Just finished Tomorrow to be Brave by Susan Travers.

The story of an English womans time serving with the Foreign Legion during and after the 2nd World War. I believe, still the only woman to have served in the Foreign Legion.

Soldato
Only thing I dislike about Sanderson is I find him a little (what I call) high fantasy at times with dastardly bad guys but no real swearing, violence or the grittier nature which makes a world more real.

He is a good author and I did read and enjoy the most born trilogy but I just find his worlds a wee bit hard to take at times. Though of course that is personal perspective :)

Soldato
Just finished 100 Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen. Not quite the same standard as Mountain Goat and Capes of Heropa but still great.

Reading his most teeny novel now, Depth Charging Ice Planet Goth, about 80's Aus and the goth/drug culture with a nice noir murder in the mix. Read te first two pages and loving if already :p

Soldato
Just finished Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett which was as usual hilarious and well written in his usual style. I don't know why but I always find myself with a vested interest in a new character that has been developing since earlier on in the series. The Golem Horses from Making Money are mentioned and one in particular seemed to start taking an entirely different approach to "life" in this book.

Also read The Martian by Andy Weir.

I picked this up in Maidstone services on Friday evening and finished it on Saturday morning.
I couldn't stop reading it. It's told primarily from the perspective Mark Watney, the only man on Mars after a manned mission was scrubbed a few days in after a dust storm and he was left behind as the crew thought him dead.
It's brilliantly scientifically grounded and the main character's humour had me actually laughing aloud in places despite the seemingly dire situation he was in. Really glad I picked it up!

Caporegime
Just finished the red circle by Brandon Webb. An account of his time in the us navy seals and the training of the latest generation of seal snipers. Marcus Luttrell the author of lone survivor being one of his former students. Very good read.

Soldato
Just finished this after seeing a number of people on hear read it and enjoy it, and.... what a fantastic book. A great story and superbly written, but I agree with this spoiler:

Did you not feel that it ended rather abruptly though...?
After the minute detail of his experiences and preparation for rescue from Mars I thought that when they had him on board of Hermes 3 I then expected a continuation rather than a fast forward to the rather rushed and conclusion

Man of Honour
Finished, Red Mars by Kim Stanley, it was ok 3/5. I actually think the series could be better than the book, if done right.

Now on the Deep Blue Good-by by John MacDonald, short book but so far so good. So hopefully will be my new series book. There's like 21 in the series.

Got a bit behind as well. To many science books to read.

Soldato
Just finished Before They Are Hanged. Overall I'm really enjoying the series - it's written in a completely different style than most fantasy I've read and I'm enjoying the change of pace.

That said:

Yet again, as with the first book in the series, not an awful lot has happened. West had a bit of an eventful time. But the four main characters who journeyed west and didn't find what they were looking for seemed to be completely pointless - I realise that this whole arc may have been a bit ironic/tongue in cheek, as the characters were seemingly as miffed as I was upon discovering their trek had been a complete waste of time - but it seemed to me that he wanted to write a trilogy and needed to keep certain characters busy throughout the second book. In fact I feel a little cheated by the whole thing.

That said, I've really liked how certain characters - West, Dogman, etc. have been developed and am looking forward to the final book in the trilogy.

Soldato
Finished Depth Charging Ice Planet Goth, fantastic read. Bit off in the middle for a short bit but great read and not a book I expected to enjoy after 50 or so pages and discovering the main characters.

Reading Rheuss Cahrt now, next in the fantastic Laundry Files series.

Man of Honour
Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Neil deGrasse Tyson has a talent for explaining the mysteries of outer space with stunning clarity and almost childlike enthusiasm. This collection of his essays from Natural History magazine explores a myriad of cosmic topics, from astral life at the frontiers of astrobiology to the movie industry's feeble efforts to get its images of night skies right.
Tyson introduces us to the physics of black holes by explaining what would happen to our bodies if we fell into one; he also examines the needless friction between science and religion, and notes Earth's status as "an insignificantly small speck in the cosmos".

Renowned for his ability to blend content, accessibility, and humor, Tyson is a natural teacher who simplifies some of the most complex concepts in astrophysics while sharing his infectious excitement for our universe.

Back
Top Bottom