What book are you reading...

Soldato
Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Initially I thought it was going to be hard work, but I'm actually getting in to it.
Probably the best book I've ever read, and certainly the greatest story of revenge.

Just finished Excalibur: A Novel of Arthur, the final book in the Arthur trilogy by Bernard Cornwell. A really good book in its own right, but also a great end to a fantastic story. Aside from the obvious differences, it's not dissimilar to Game of Thrones, with lots of political posturing and changing of allegiances.

Now I'm onto Warlords of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the third book in the Barsoom series.

Associate
Currently reading Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan in preparation for the third book in the series which is coming out this summer. Absolutely loved the first book ( Blood Song ) and I'm finding this book just as good.

Soldato
Recently finished reading the Eragon series. A bit cryptic in regards to a couple of characters, but all in all an enjoyable read.
Downloaded Rise of the Dragons(Kings and Sorcerers-Book 1) yesterday and finished it in 6 hours. A little disappointed it was so short, but it seems to be the norm these days with serials. Has a good story with plenty of promise, so will have to wait for Book 2, to see if it gets any better.
The best fantasy series I have ever read has to be The Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen Donaldson, absolute classic in my opinion. Closely followed by Ice and Fire.
I enjoy a book where the author takes the time to describe the settings and characters with such detail, whereby you have a mental picture in your mind. The ability to draw you in, so that you are completely absorbed and find it hard to put the book down.

So with that in mind, anyone who has read these two series, can you recommend something similar. Not looking for a book that can be read in less than a day.
In the meantime, just about to start reading the Divergent Trilogy-Book 1.

Soldato
Steven Erikson, Malaxan Book of the Fallen. With the tie ins from Esselmont its about a 15 book series all around 800 pages and complex and detailed enough to make your head spin.

Soldato
Steven Erikson, Malaxan Book of the Fallen. With the tie ins from Esselmont its about a 15 book series all around 800 pages and complex and detailed enough to make your head spin.

Was going to say the Wheel of Time. Phenomenally detailed, the world building is incredible, despite the slight lull from 8-10. I genuinely reckon that 1-6 are some of the most exciting books I've read.

But then again, everyone keeps on telling me to read Malazan, so I should probably get round to that soon :)

Soldato

Just read some reviews and not to sold on it, if I'm honest. I much prefer a story that allows you to relate to the characters and see the full picture through their eyes. To see what motivates them, what drives them. To get a sense of their history and so better enjoy their journey of adventure. Where mysteries and unanswered questions become clearer as the story progresses.
The Malaxen Books seem to have far to many characters coming and going, I think I would loose interest very quickly. I have a low attention span and get bored very quickly, so whatever I read needs to be gripping and draw me in. This feels like to much hard work to read.

Soldato
Was going to say the Wheel of Time. Phenomenally detailed, the world building is incredible, despite the slight lull from 8-10. I genuinely reckon that 1-6 are some of the most exciting books I've read.

But then again, everyone keeps on telling me to read Malazan, so I should probably get round to that soon :)

Now this does look like an interesting read. Will look at getting the first book, once I have finished reading Divergence. Or a box set, depending on price for the Kindle.

Soldato
Just read some reviews and not to sold on it, if I'm honest. I much prefer a story that allows you to relate to the characters and see the full picture through their eyes. To see what motivates them, what drives them. To get a sense of their history and so better enjoy their journey of adventure. Where mysteries and unanswered questions become clearer as the story progresses.
The Malaxen Books seem to have far to many characters coming and going, I think I would loose interest very quickly. I have a low attention span and get bored very quickly, so whatever I read needs to be gripping and draw me in. This feels like to much hard work to read.

On that basis definitely stay away :p

Alternatively have a look at Joe Abercrombie, first book in a 6 book series (to date) is The Blade Itself. Great stuff.

Soldato
I need a few books for holiday but I'm not sure what to get...

The only books of note that I've read are:

I am legend
Bram Stockers Dracula
Angels and Demons
Da Vinci Code
Deception point
Digital fortress
The lost symbol

I did start reading the Dark Towers books by Stephen King but kind of just stopped in the middle of the first.. Are they worth picking up again or is there something else I should consider?

I quite like post apocalyptic stuff.. Vampires (not too gory, American Pyscho was too much for me!) and thriller/mystery combos.

Any recommendations?

Associate
I need a few books for holiday but I'm not sure what to get...

The only books of note that I've read are:

I am legend
Bram Stockers Dracula
Angels and Demons
Da Vinci Code
Deception point
Digital fortress
The lost symbol

I did start reading the Dark Towers books by Stephen King but kind of just stopped in the middle of the first.. Are they worth picking up again or is there something else I should consider?

I quite like post apocalyptic stuff.. Vampires (not too gory, American Pyscho was too much for me!) and thriller/mystery combos.

Any recommendations?

If you like vampires, Salem's Lot is a great Stephen King starter. The Dark Tower books are fantastic, but you get a lot more out of them if you've read more King beforehand - there's a lot of references in the other books.

You also can't go wrong with Michael Crichton (and if you like Deception Point, you will like Crichton).

Soldato
"Vostok" by Steve Alten. I love his "Meg" series (about a Megalodon that basically causes havoc) but this book is pretty bad. It's a sequel to "The Loch" in which the hero solves the Loch Ness Monster mystery (Alten seems to think his solution is factual) and “Vostok” shows the same horrendous mangling of phonetically written pseudo-Scottish and poor research. I was hoping for/expecting/ a nice, fluffy, monster-mayhem, throw-away novel but instead I got a mishmash that is part monster-movie, part “Big Oil”/MJ-12 conspiracy fest, has various alien races in and even discusses creation and the essence of God. It’s a complete mess of a book and I’m only continuing to read it to see what sort of car-crash weirdness comes next.

It reminds me of the film “Jeepers Creepers” (which always seems like two different movies slammed together at the half-way point) but with elements of some terrible New Age cult and the very worst of Beyond Top Secret thrown in too.

Soldato
Chandler, try Mark Tufo's "Zombie Fallout" series. Apopclyptic, zombies and... well, I won't spoil your fun. There is a great sense of umour about the whole series too.

Also, try John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series. They're great. :)

Soldato
Just finished War by Sebastian Junger.
For 15 months, Sebastian Junger accompanied a single platoon of thirty men from the celebrated 2nd battalion of the U.S. Army, as they fought their way through a remote valley in Eastern Afghanistan. Over the course of five trips, Junger was in more firefights than he could count, men he knew were killed or wounded, and he himself was almost killed. His relationship with these soldiers grew so close that they considered him part of the platoon, and he enjoyed an access and a candidness that few, if any, journalists ever attain.
I enjoyed it and thought that on the whole it was a good book, but I did get a little bored as it turned into more of a physocological study and less about the soldiers and the incidents they were involved with. Looking forward to watching the documentary about it.

Not sure what to read next. I'm part way through several series, but reluctant to continue some of them as they are turning into long drawn out stories where nothing much happens. I'm looking at you, The Daylight War The Demon Cycle, Book 3.

Associate
"Vostok" by Steve Alten. I love his "Meg" series (about a Megalodon that basically causes havoc) but this book is pretty bad. It's a sequel to "The Loch" in which the hero solves the Loch Ness Monster mystery (Alten seems to think his solution is factual) and “Vostok” shows the same horrendous mangling of phonetically written pseudo-Scottish and poor research. I was hoping for/expecting/ a nice, fluffy, monster-mayhem, throw-away novel but instead I got a mishmash that is part monster-movie, part “Big Oil”/MJ-12 conspiracy fest, has various alien races in and even discusses creation and the essence of God. It’s a complete mess of a book and I’m only continuing to read it to see what sort of car-crash weirdness comes next.

It reminds me of the film “Jeepers Creepers” (which always seems like two different movies slammed together at the half-way point) but with elements of some terrible New Age cult and the very worst of Beyond Top Secret thrown in too.

Just finished this as well , very badly written , at a few points in the book I thought I had missed several pages it jumps so much.
Its a shame as I quite enjoyed his Meg and Loch books.

Back
Top Bottom