What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just finished reading the first 4 Sam Capra books by Jeff Abbott, got very much into them and found myself reading them pretty much constantly. Now waiting for him to release the next book as he left it on a nice little cliffhanger.

Gonna start on the Robert Hunter series by Chris Carter next.

Then need to find some more detectivey/spyie type books in a similar vein (think Bosch, Cross, Reacher etc).

jkb

jkb

Associate
Just finished reading the first 4 Sam Capra books by Jeff Abbott, got very much into them and found myself reading them pretty much constantly. Now waiting for him to release the next book as he left it on a nice little cliffhanger.

Gonna start on the Robert Hunter series by Chris Carter next.

Then need to find some more detectivey/spyie type books in a similar vein (think Bosch, Cross, Reacher etc).

The Robert Hunter books are good and I also enjoyed the Sam Capra books. Have you tried Victor the assassin?

Soldato
Over the last year i've read Hotel K, Snowing In Bali and Marching Powder. All about drug smuggling, the people who got caught and their experiences in prison abroad.

Quite sobering and eye opening books, would like some suggestions for similar...so far I have The Cocaine Diaries on my amazon wishlist.

Associate
Picked a book out to read today just based on the picture on the cover.
Thought the picture looked familiar straight away and it turns out that it is Hermitage Castle just outside Newcastleton in the Scottish borders.
Remember climbing all over that place when I was a nipper in the 70's

The Lord Of Middle Air by Michael Scott Rohan.

Soldato
Going to give the Elric of Melniborne books a go as I've heard a fair bit about them.

Definitely worth a read - Elric is an interesting anti-hero who's powers are more of a curse than a boon; he's kind of the fantasy tragic journeyman who's only choice is to keep moving forward because he has nothing left behind worth saving.

Moorecock also ties in the elric character with some of his other creations over different planes of existence, hinting at other tales.

It's a little bit dark, but that lends it character.

Man of Honour
It's a little bit dark, but that lends it character.

More than a little bit. Useful read for those who think Joe Abercrombie invented gritty fantasies. Also, did anyone spot the in-joke in GoT series four, where Joffrey asks the crowd what to name his new sword? One name called out was: "Stormbringer". (Another was "Terminus" - should have been "Terminus Est", of course - but I couldn't make out what the other two names shouted out were.)

As for Mike Scott Rohan from leemk: a much underestimated writer. He tends to write books based at least loosely on actual periods of history, rather than in Elf-Land. He also did an interesting set of urban fantasy starting with "Chase the Morning". [namedrop]he also seemed a nice bloke the time I spoke to him[/namedrop]

Currently I'm reading "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. Much of his books are straight out of cliché central - hero comes from nothing etc - but he has some interesting stuff. For a start, a lot of the books is concerned with the hero's finances, and his perpetual shortage of money. Most fantasy just sort of gloss over that sort of thing. His handling of magic is interesting as well. In some ways he is like Michael Crighton, who someone correctly pointed out was brilliant at making boring stuff interesting, but also for making interesting stuff boring. The characterisation is pretty mediocre as well: interestingly it is a couple of the females who seem rounded characters (oh-er missus), where as the male friends of the hero are just names.

But the big thing I'm not happy about is: this looks like it will go on a long time. I'm halfway through book two and no discernible main arc has gone anywhere yet. I can't see this is being less than a five book set. And fantasy really does not need any more series that long, never mind longer. All fantasy writers should be made to read the Earthsea books to see how you can create a world in a sentence, not fourteen chapters.

Before that was "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher, latest of the Harry Dresden books, and about the weakest. The problem with this series now is that the end-game has started (I believe there are only two more to go) so this book read like the first of a trilogy, and came to an serious anticlimax.

Also recently (OK, it's a while since I posted in here):

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. I enjoyed it, but part of her style is starting to bug me, because she relies on it too much: the whole: "that's interesting and important, but I'm not going to explain of for another hundred pages" thing.

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett. It's hard to speak ill of the dead, but the impression I got was of a book actually written in Pratchett's style by someone else. I've heard that his daughter was doing some writing for him, and I wonder if she was involved in this.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Good, but it's hard to really like a book where every character is a grotesque, and the main character the worst of all of them.

Declare by Tim Powers. The man's books are always good, if nothing else at the sheer skill involved in joining fantasy to real events and people (the spy Kim Philby is a major character, and many events mentioned really happened).

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. This gave the impression of two different books cut'n'shutted together. The best bit of the book sort of came out of nowhere, and then almost got forgotten again. Good, and interesting, but not a classic.

The Birthday Present by Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell). Good, as her books always are, but not up to the earlier ones written in that name.

Crown of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon, the last of a five part series. True to what I said earlier, it's too long as a series. There are around six main characters, and that's three too many. Especially as it was obvious that Moon herself had clear favourites among them. She should have stuck to just them. Bits worked, much did not. At times she seemed to be giving a lesson, rather than trying to make interesting.

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks for reminding me about him!
Used to read (and enjoy) a lot of his books back in the day.

Will be looking forward to catching up on what he has written since.

As an aside:

Anyone who likes the Jurassic Park concept needs to read The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Riley.

Obviously based on Jurassic Park but in Riley's unique style of fast paced action. Never read any other author that writes a story at the pace Reilly does. Granted, you need to switch off you believability but the pace and action more than make up for it!

Permabanned
Currently I'm reading "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. Much of his books are straight out of cliché central - hero comes from nothing etc - but he has some interesting stuff. For a start, a lot of the books is concerned with the hero's finances, and his perpetual shortage of money. Most fantasy just sort of gloss over that sort of thing. His handling of magic is interesting as well. In some ways he is like Michael Crighton, who someone correctly pointed out was brilliant at making boring stuff interesting, but also for making interesting stuff boring. The characterisation is pretty mediocre as well: interestingly it is a couple of the females who seem rounded characters (oh-er missus), where as the male friends of the hero are just names.

But the big thing I'm not happy about is: this looks like it will go on a long time. I'm halfway through book two and no discernible main arc has gone anywhere yet. I can't see this is being less than a five book set. And fantasy really does not need any more series that long, never mind longer. All fantasy writers should be made to read the Earthsea books to see how you can create a world in a sentence, not fourteen chapters.

I quite like this series so far, while it has some generic narrative its different enough to be entertaining. Just annoyed as I started them without realising they are unfinished. :)

Soldato
Anyone who likes the Jurassic Park concept needs to read The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Riley.

Obviously based on Jurassic Park but in Riley's unique style of fast paced action. Never read any other author that writes a story at the pace Reilly does. Granted, you need to switch off you believability but the pace and action more than make up for it!

AWESOME! I love Reilly's style and the breathless pace he sets. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Associate

I was about to read 'Jurassic Park' again, for the umpteenth time, but I think I'll give this a go instead! Dragons > Dinosaurs :)

Picked a book out to read today just based on the picture on the cover.
Thought the picture looked familiar straight away and it turns out that it is Hermitage Castle just outside Newcastleton in the Scottish borders.
Remember climbing all over that place when I was a nipper in the 70's

Visited Hermitage years ago as well as many places around the borders.

Not sure how I missed that book as I loved The Winter of the World series.

Currently re-reading A Famine of Horses by PF Chisholm. Have read 4 books so far and they are a great series. Noticed there are more so reading from the beginning again.

Associate
All the recent Musketer rebooting on the BBC has got me reading the original novel, so far so good. Takes me back to watching the 1970's film on Sunday afternoons at my grans

Man of Honour
Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You
Such a. good book, almost finished.
Easy to understand and has helped to get my mind around gravity in a new way.
Despite reading so many physics books in the last and thinking I understood it at a basic level.

Soldato
"The Great zoo of China" by Matthew Reilly (thanks to ThePainBarrier for letting me know about this). About 1/3 through the audiobook and loving it. :)

"Lords of the Sith" by Paul S. Kemp. Only just started it and I'm about 50 pages in but loving it too. New canon material is always appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom