What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just finished The Martian, I was hugely impressed by the book probably the only slight let down for me the ending after the huge suspense building toward it finishing it just ended in a couple of paragraphs.

Now reading "Killing Suki Flood" it's rated by a lot of people in the top 10 best Noir novels ever so really looking forward to it.

Associate
About three quarters of the way through The Aeronaut's Windlass, the first book in Jim Butcher's new series. Not bad so far, closer to Codex Alera than Dresden Files in quality but maybe something in the remaining sections will change that.

Associate
I listened to 'the name of the wind' - thought it was great! Got stuck into the 2nd book straight after, enjoying it so far.

Is Jim Butchers Dresden Files series any good? Wouldn't mind getting stuck into a series.

Soldato
Is Jim Butchers Dresden Files series any good? Wouldn't mind getting stuck into a series.

They are a lot of fun, real page-turners. The characters do progress and move forwards, so it's not just the same book over and over. Most large series tend to lose their way and have poor books amongst the good ones, but Butcher has managed to avoid this because it's really one large story arc.

Soldato
I really enjoyed the Dresden files, I found the first book hard work, but after that the series really takes off and had my hooked. Highly highly recommended.

Associate
I read in an interview recently that even Jim Butcher suggests new readers jump straight to Grave Peril (book 3) because of how ashamed he is of the first two. In the grand arc there's not a lot hugely relevant and most things and people are re-established in later books as part of the world building.

Soldato
I love the series, read everything in about 6 weeks haha.

Definitely read the first two, they set the scene for bits of the story that happen later.

My only "gripe" is that as the season goes on and Dresden gets more powerful so do his enemies so he is always left on the "Backfoot" despite being hugely more talented than he was. I just want to see him up against some of his earlier enemies and really kick the **** out of something with his new power :D

It is a very minor gripe, I love the series all told, the fact it is one huge story arc from the start right the way through is really impressive.

On the topic of Dresden, when is the next one due, feels like a pretty long wait compared to previous gaps.

Soldato

Yes, definitely, but be warned, they are very addictive books. I tried a sample on my kindle and was hooked from the very first page. And I did the same as No1newts, read the first 10 in a very short space of time, but once I realised that I was running out of Dresden files books I started to drag them out so I would enjoy them for longer.

Associate
I love the series, read everything in about 6 weeks haha.

Definitely read the first two, they set the scene for bits of the story that happen later.

My only "gripe" is that as the season goes on and Dresden gets more powerful so do his enemies so he is always left on the "Backfoot" despite being hugely more talented than he was. I just want to see him up against some of his earlier enemies and really kick the **** out of something with his new power :D

It is a very minor gripe, I love the series all told, the fact it is one huge story arc from the start right the way through is really impressive.

On the topic of Dresden, when is the next one due, feels like a pretty long wait compared to previous gaps.

He still fights lower level stuff in some of the short stories but it doesn't make for much drama if he can curbstomp everything.

As for the next book, I believe Butcher said in that Reddit AMA he did a few days back that his submission date for the final copy of Peace Talks is January 1st, so I'd imagine it'd hit the shelves middle of next year (so about 2 years from Skin Games release by then).

Soldato
Any of you subscribed to Amazon Prime? If you have Kindle Unlimited, this doesn't apply much. Just asking because at the weekend, I noticed something to do with Prime I didn't know was a thing.

The Kindle First programme gives Kindle First members the opportunity to download one of six editors' picks a month before the official publication date, either for free or at a reduced price. New titles are announced at the beginning of each month.

My first book I picked up for free is The Concealed. Hoping for a nice selection next month.

Soldato
He still fights lower level stuff in some of the short stories but it doesn't make for much drama if he can curbstomp everything.

As for the next book, I believe Butcher said in that Reddit AMA he did a few days back that his submission date for the final copy of Peace Talks is January 1st, so I'd imagine it'd hit the shelves middle of next year (so about 2 years from Skin Games release by then).

I agree, I wouldn't want to see it very often but would be nice too see him whale on things once in a while. I love the profession of the character, seeing the difference from book one to now is great.

Soldato
Wool (finished): 8/10. Hardly original, but really easy to read and difficult to put down after the half way point.

Lost Stars: 1/4 of the way in and I'm underwhelmed. I thought I leaned my lesson with Star Wars books being pants (even the ones people rave about...), but heard great things about this one. "It's young adult fiction, but it doesn't seem like young adult fiction" everybody said. Erm, no, it's exactly like young adult fiction.

Soldato
Rereading all my David Gemmell books. In the last week I have read Legend, Waylander, King Beyond the Gate and Quest for Lost Heroes.

Now I am just sitting down to start Waylander II. Really looking forward to it :)

Soldato
Picked up Brandon Sandersons new Mistborn novel Shadows of Self. Not as good as the Alloy of Law, but still an enjoyable story. I love the way that that the powers work in this series of book, very original. Worth a read.

Back
Top Bottom