What book are you reading...

noj

noj

Associate
just reading Human Universe by Prof. Cox at the moment.

Finding it a really interesting read so far, complex physics questions and theories being broken down into language I can follow.

Soldato
Picked up Brandon Sandersons new Mistborn novel Shadows of Self. Not as good as the Alloy of Law, but still an enjoyable story. I love the way that that the powers work in this series of book, very original. Worth a read.

I'm torn about the Wax and Wayne books. The way the Mistborn trilogy finished was perfection to my eyes and I'm concerned that the continuation will not meet my now sky-high expectations. I suppose I should just put my faith in Sanderson and read the new works. I may wait until they're all out though.

Soldato
I'm torn about the Wax and Wayne books. The way the Mistborn trilogy finished was perfection to my eyes and I'm concerned that the continuation will not meet my now sky-high expectations. I suppose I should just put my faith in Sanderson and read the new works. I may wait until they're all out though.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - they're set so far after the events of the first trilogy that those events are a time of myth and legend. You get to see what people have made of the world after its remaking. I would really recommend them.

Associate
Not evryone's cup of tea after Lee Child allowed Tom Cruise to play a part he is physically not designed for but I'm half way through the latest Jack Reacher novel. Love the Reacher novels but Cruise tainted them slightly.

Looking forward to the third book in the Brilliance trilogy by Marcus Sakey which is due in Jan. Shame the filming has halted twice after Will Smith and then Jared Leto pulled out of the lead role. Think Legendary picked up the movie rights for it but can't hold down a leading actor.

Man of Honour
How can the book be tainted.
There still brilliant books. The film isn't even part of the books story line, so makes no difference if the film was great or absolutely dire.

The Interstellar Age: The Story of the NASA Men and Women Who Flew the Forty-Year Voyager Mission

A very interesting book, almost finished.

Associate
How can the book be tainted.
There still brilliant books. The film isn't even part of the books story line, so makes no difference if the film was great or absolutely dire.

The Interstellar Age: The Story of the NASA Men and Women Who Flew the Forty-Year Voyager Mission

A very interesting book, almost finished.

The book isn't tainted, it just took a while to get over picturing 5 foot of Tom Cruise playing 6 foot 4 of Jack Reacher. Add to that the different eyes, hair etc. Cruise was just the wrong man, Chris Evans (obv not the TFI variant) or Chris Hemsworth would have been better choices imo.

Soldato
But then both of those are too young. Tom Cruise definitely was wrong, I just am struggling to find someone who would be right.

Edit - maybe Adam Baldwin if he grew his hair a bit?

You are going to laugh at who I thought should have played Jack Reacher, either John Cena or Dwayne Johnson. My last choice would have been Hugh Jackman.

Man of Honour
The book isn't tainted, it just took a while to get over picturing 5 foot of Tom Cruise playing 6 foot 4 of Jack Reacher. Add to that the different eyes, hair etc. Cruise was just the wrong man, Chris Evans (obv not the TFI variant) or Chris Hemsworth would have been better choices imo.

I still don't get it, it took precisely zero seconds to get over it, as the book describes reacher every other chapter, there's no putting the film reacher into the book, when you're reading it.

Anyway I'm on to
The black box, 18th in the harry Bosch series, not many books left.

Also thought I would look, listened to 209 books since 22/09/2012, that's more than 1 a week :eek:

Soldato
Started Ready Player One last night (around midnight).

Put it down at 4am as I had an interview this morning at 10am.

Not bad so far, maybe a bit heavy on the explanation of things.

Associate
Finished Ready Player One last night and very much enjoyed it. Parts near the end I think got a little predictable in places, I think the pop culture references were the most fun for me.

A little sad it's over, from a quick look his new book is unrelated and reviews are nothing outstanding...I might still grab it as I do like his writing style.

Soldato
After all the interest in this thread about Great Zoo Of China, I bought it a few weeks back. Halfway through and really struggling with it, feels as though it's been written for a direct adaption to screen. While i'm sure it'd be a fun action film, it's a really poor book.

Associate
His writing style isn't great IMO, the storyline kept me going though. Armada is sadly awful, although I still weirdly enjoyed it...

I liked his style, but maybe it was more I felt it fitted the story? Either way enjoyable.

Armada, that's the impression I've had from the reviews. Might skip for now till it's available on kindle cheaper.

Need some Sci-Fi recommendations, my favourite genre by far. Loved the Frontiers series from Marko Kloos (last book was weaker in the series), Ark Royal from Christopher Nuttall (even if the warspite books are frankly pretty poor) and a new series starter of The Dark Angles (Pelquin's Comet) from Ian Whates. The last I found excellent with a real firefly vibe which I think is probably more the angle I'm looking for.

Soldato
Bought three for a tenner today from Amazon. Just went random with ones that looked interesting. I have Station Eleven by Emily St.John Mandel, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North, and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Murakami.

Got to finish The Martian first.

Associate
Need some Sci-Fi recommendations, my favourite genre by far.

Assuming you have a Kindle:

Posted a few pages back but the In Her Name series by Michael Hicks is a good read. Sort of Predator meets Starship Troopers. First book, First Contact, is free (also enjoyed The Harvest trilogy he does to).

Also, really enjoyed The Breakers Series by Edward Robertson. First three books free(!) - felt like I was stealing from him. Tale of modern day Earth invaded by aliens but he is also writing a follow on series set 1000 years in the future which is turning out to be pretty good so far.

Both are self publishing authors on Amazon.
It's amazing how many great unpublished authors there are out there.

Associate
Thank you very much, added to my kindle list today :)

I know what you say about the self published, I think the first Ark Royal book was free and it it's 2 sequels are amazing battlestar galactica style books. As said the war spite series that tried to carry on did not work so well.

Back
Top Bottom