What book are you reading...

Soldato
I'm really struggling to get into anything at the mo, got a few books on the go;

Killing Floor - first Jack Reacher book, pretty enjoyable and easy read so far.

Killing Suki Flood - rated by a fair few people as one of the best ten noir books ever but I'm not quite feeling it. Reads like a cheesy 80's film at times though the initial chapter is perhaps the best noir chapter I have ever read.

Wasp Factory - never finished it first time so going again but again I'm failing to be sucked into the story.

Gardens of the Moon - re-read with the two new books out in the new year and enjoying it as before.

Meditations - collected writings of Marcus Aurelius one of the old Roman emperors, very nice stuff he sounds like a very wise and sober man who lives by what some would consider some philosophical leanings but he portrays as mere common sense that is still relevant 1500 or so years later. Not a one off read though, quick and short chapters to pick through.

Got a few short stories an some odds and sods on the go to, been a strange year reading for me this year, gone from 2-3 books a month and I'm not sure if I'll even finish 12 by the time the year is out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a few short stories an some odds and sods on the go to, been a strange year reading for me this year, gone from 2-3 books a month and I'm not sure if I'll even finish 12 by the time the year is out.

It happens like that for me too. I didn't read anything for about a year then I found the Dresden files and I read all of them in a few months.

Soldato
It happens like that for me too. I didn't read anything for about a year then I found the Dresden files and I read all of them in a few months.

I've pretty consistently for about 15 year read between 24-50 books a year and this last year has just died. I'm looking for something to grip me again but struggling to find anything.

Hopefully something will creep up on me but I have tended to find myself reading short stories and quirkier books this year as nothing big has really grabbed my attention.

Soldato
Hero in Shadows. David Gemmell.

I just finished this, again. Great book. I would love if he had written more Waylander novels. But I guess that would have ruined the mystery.

Soldato
Not meant to be released until 5th November :)

DSC_0103_zpsod1fampm.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Currently reading The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu, the sequel to The Three Body Problem. It's quite an interesting read, probably because it is a translation of a Chinese novel and covers topics that you wouldn't expect their government not to censor, being quite scathing in regard to the persecution of intellectuals during the cultural revolution and the way it betrayed its most ardent supporters by exploiting and discarding them.

Less interesting was Armada by Ernest Cline which was like a really tedious fan-fiction mashup of The Last Starfighter and Ender's Game and managed to make it a dull cliche packed with stale pop culture references.

Unfortunately Armada was like Shakespeare compared to the unremitting drivel that is Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. I loved the lovecraftian lunacy of John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full of Spiders but his latest is so bad it beggars belief. The characters barely qualify as one dimensional and I had to force myself to finish it. Absolute garbage.

Annoyingly the new Scott Lynch book I'd been hoping to get my hands on has been knocked back from November to July :(

Associate
Swan Song : Robert McCammon.
Had this sitting in the garage for the last 20 years at least , after a recent garage clean up i found it and gave it a go.
Normally like my scifi but this has got to be one of the best books i have read in years .
Pretty similar to The Stand from what i can gather , have not read that yet so will give that a go after this.

Hmm , last 1/4 of the book didnt live up to the rest .

Soldato
The Dwarves by Markus Heitz. Just halfway through this book and haven't decided yet if it's good or bad. I like some of the ideas but not sure how everything fits together just yet.

Man of Honour
^
will have to add that to the ever growing back log.

Breaking the chains of gravity -Amy Shire Teitel
History of rocket, but concentrating on pre nasa, especially ww1. Ww2

Associate
The Stand uncut: Stephen king.
After reading Swan Song thought i would give this a go.
Not really a king fan as he seems to go on a bit and i end up skipping pages.
Well cant say i have done this yet with this book , on page 550 of 1007 and it has got me hooked .
Also found the 4 part Stand TV series on Youtube so have watched the first 2 parts.
Pretty good seeing the characters , cast pretty well apart from Harold and Frannie.

Man of Honour
On the last book of The Dark Tower series, very god overall in my opinion (also King :)).

Need a new series to get stuck into next. I'd quite like to read some good sci-fi next I think, anyone got any recommendations along the lines of the excellent Peter F.Hamiltons' Night's Dawn trilogy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night's_Dawn_Trilogy

Nearest thing to Hamilton's Space Operas these days is another Brit, Neal Asher. I'd start with his first book, "Gridlinked".

Caporegime
Anyone read anything by Jack Ludlow? I'm considering some of his historical fiction. Or any other authors that do good historical fiction?

I quite like reading them and then doing my own research into the facts.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom