What book are you reading...

Soldato
Currently reading "The Shepherd's Crown", the 41st and final Discworld novel by the late Sir Terry Pratchett.

When I finish it I think I may well go back to number one (The Colour of Magic) and re-read the other 40 :D

Associate
Just finished the Stand , got to be one of my favourite books now.

Back to some sci fi though:

The Abyss Beyond Dreams : Peter Hamilton.
Dont normally like reading a book that is part of a series untill they are all out but couldnt wait in the end.

Associate
Just finished The Wrong Way Home, really enjoyed it, but not in a rush to read another traveller style book for a while.
Starting on Ready Player One, recommended to me by a number of friends so hoping it's good.

Soldato
Following the recommendation by Newts I decided to give R Scott Bakker a shot. Just finished The Darkness That Comes Before - very interesting book, sets a great scene, well written characters that I care about, plenty of intrigue. Its painfully obvious that the book is part of a trilogy as it just ends incredibly abruptly.

Moving on to the next part this evening, if its as good as the first I can see me picking up the third book in short order.

Associate
On the last book of The Dark Tower series, very good overall in my opinion (also King :)).

Need a new series to get stuck into next. I'd quite like to read some good sci-fi next I think, anyone got any recommendations along the lines of the excellent Peter F.Hamiltons' Night's Dawn trilogy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night's_Dawn_Trilogy

If you liked Night's Dawn, you'll probably also like Hamilton's "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained".

Soldato
Finished The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter.
It's the official sequel to HG Wells Time Machine and is pretty good. The use of language and the ideas are nice although it does get beyond me towards the end as it's more science than fiction.

Soldato
I'm just a sucker for those military type zombie novels, need to finish the last two Arisen books and then the last Remaining book too.

Soldato
I'm just a sucker for those military type zombie novels, need to finish the last two Arisen books and then the last Remaining book too.

Have you read John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series? 4 books with a strong military theme and lots of humour. I'd love to find something that describes The Fall in something approaching the manner of book 1.

Soldato
Have you read John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series? 4 books with a strong military theme and lots of humour. I'd love to find something that describes The Fall in something approaching the manner of book 1.

I'll have to check that out when I'm done with these, cheers! Been long enough since I've read Word War Z, so may do a re-read on that although doubt I'll find the time.

Arisen is probably one of my favourite books of this type though and my Kindle is littered with zombie novels (one of those guilty pleasures), currently on Genesis wrapping the African origin story although haven't had time to read since the summer when I knocked out like 4 books in 2 weeks.

Soldato
The "Black Tide Rising" series as one of the best set-ups for The Fall that I have read (zombie fiction is also a guilty pleasure of mine). Apart from a rather abrupt start it then really gets into its stride with a disturbing possible chain of events. The remaining books then progress through survival and adaption.
FYI, the "zombies" are more like those in "28 Days Later", whuc actually makes them scarier and more 'possible'. Tip: Add 4 or 5 years to the stated ages of the female leads. You'll see why.

Back
Top Bottom