What book are you reading...

Soldato
Doesn't really narrow it down much.

What do you like? What genre? Need a little more to work with :p

As a random try though;

Flashman - George MacDonald Frasier.

Great series of books.

Associate
Finished A Canticle for Leibowitz , not bad preferred the 1st and 3rd part suprisingly couldnt put it down and finished it in a few days, probably not a book i would read again.
Bought the Hyperion omnibus , really like the story style like the Canterbury Tales.
Favourite story has to be about Sol with his reverse ageing Daughter.

Soldato
Re reading The Lies of Locke Lamora as I now own books 2 & 3, have also noticed a fourth is available for pre-order too, so much better on a second reading to be honest, for some reason the writing style seems to sit better.

Soldato
Just finished reading The Martian after hearing good things about it and all I can say is "Wow!"

Fantastic read, nicely paced with just the right amount of viewpoint changes to give a real feeling of the time passing!

I'm almost reluctant to watch the movie on the basis that it won't do the book justice!

Soldato
Just finished:
"Snowcrash" by Neal Stephenson. Frankly, it didn't really grab me. I listened to the audiobook and found myself wondering how long until it ended and I could start something new. Never a good sign. I never really got invested in the charatecrs and although some of the ideas are nice it just didin't really hang together for me.

"Old Man's War" by John Scalzi. An excellent book that had me hooked from the beginning. 75 year olds going to war? That's an interesting premise. Good storyline, good characterisation, some truly touching moments (Maggie), lots of action and a open ending that didn't feel like being robbed on closure. I think I may move on the some more of Scalzi's work on this basis. I can recommend the audiobook as the narration is perfect for the text.

Soldato
"Old Man's War" by John Scalzi. An excellent book that had me hooked from the beginning. 75 year olds going to war? That's an interesting premise. Good storyline, good characterisation, some truly touching moments (Maggie), lots of action and a open ending that didn't feel like being robbed on closure. I think I may move on the some more of Scalzi's work on this basis. I can recommend the audiobook as the narration is perfect for the text.

Great book that one, I enjoyed the first few sequels too though I've not read all of them as yet. I did read and thoroughly enjoy Lock In too.

Soldato
Folks, any recommendations for a Hunger Games fan? She's read Maze Runner and the Divergent series, any lesser-known (but good) titles/series that I can surprise her with?

Associate
Also suggest:
I am number four books
The Reckoners Books by Brandon Sanderson
The Enemy by Charlie Higson
Shades Children - Garth Nix
Skullduggery Pleasant books
Gone by Michael Grant

Associate
Just read The 8th: A Tale of Horror and Revenge by Matt Shaw.

Very disturbing book from the perspective of a kid being bullied at school and getting his revenge.
Very graphical but you kind of see why he ends up doing what he does.

Quite short and free on Kindle at Amazon.

Now reading the rest of his back catalogue (so I guess giving out that book free worked!), he seems to excel at writing psychological horror from the perspective of both the victim and the person carrying out the deed.

Which does lead me to another point. Why do books not have age ratings? Any kid can go out and by books like this which are incredibly graphical in both violence and sex - more so than any 18 film you could ever sneak in to watch.

Soldato
New Andrez Bergen book out in two weeks :D

If any of you want a great read from a noir point of view with some brilliant dialogue and some unique ideas check him out. Fantastic author, shame he isn't as well known in the uk.

Soldato
Just finished City of stairs by Robert Jackson Benett, really enjoyed this book and sad that its finish. Look forward for the sequel "city of blades" not out till Jan though.

Associate
Just finished "Pegasus Bridge" By Stephen E Ambrose. ( Better known for Band of Brothers )

Awesome read, A short book which goes into detail regarding the first British paratroopers to hit the ground in Normandy just after midnight on June 6th. Also gives a perspective from the German side and how they witnessed everything unfold before them.

Currently moving on to a book which tells about the origins of the SBS.

Back
Top Bottom