What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Ok book 2 of the fear series is absolutely amazing. However I'm scared the last book will have to be extremely rushed.
Anyway on to Arisen- death of empires. Is it the 7th in the series.

Caporegime
Anthony Kiedis' autobiography again. Not read it for a few years.

His life has been absolutely mental, and it always makes me feel as if I should have been more hedonistic whist growing up. He probably did more at ages 11-13 than some people do in their entire teens.

Associate
Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross

Thoroughly engrossing, it is one of the most grim accounts of WW2, similar to 'The Forgotten Soldier, Guy Sajer'. There is a divided opinion whether fact or fiction, either way, given the brutality of war, would not be surprised if events documented actually took place.

Killing the Bismarck: Destroying the Pride of Hitler's Fleet

Absolutely brilliant, first book based on WW2 Naval history and I was not sure what to expect, utterly engrossing, highly recommended.

Soldato
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

IeOTSY2.jpg

Really enjoyed this, I picked it up to read over a weekend away. Good setting, it certainly brings out any inner-geek in you, and lots of pop culture references from the 80s.

Good to hear Spielberg is starting the film adaptation this Spring

Associate
Currently reading Ender in Exile. But to to wait a week before i can read some more as I left it around someones. Not sure what i'm going to read after i've finished it though. Kinda got hooked on Ender and Bean. Have read through the rest of the Ender Saga and Shadow Saga and loved every book.

Associate
The Passage : Justin Cronin
Great first 1/2 but struggling to bother finishing it now , got to the Las Vegas part (about 2/3 in) but lost interest.

So started Imperial Governor: George Shipway and finished it in a day, what a great book. if you like Scarrows Eagle books this is well worth reading.

Associate
The Passage : Justin Cronin
Great first 1/2 but struggling to bother finishing it now , got to the Las Vegas part (about 2/3 in) but lost interest.

So started Imperial Governor: George Shipway and finished it in a day, what a great book. if you like Scarrows Eagle books this is well worth reading.

I loved the passage, was gripped from start to finish. The second book however was terrible compared.

Soldato
Just reading the last Wheel of Time book by Robert Jordan (please no spoilers) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fantasy book series to read afterwards that are somewhat similar?

I haven't read The Game of Thrones yet but I would like to at some point but was wondering if there was anything better to read or whether I should just jump into The Game of Thrones straight afterwards?

Soldato
Just listened to the audiobook of Absolute Pandemonium: The Autobiography (of Brian Blessed), narrated by the man himself.

What can I say? The man is a legend and listening to him tell his own story is the only way to do it.
The guy is hilarious and has some cracking tales.

Caporegime
I have read Max Hastings All Hell Let Loose. Took me the best part of 8 months reading it primarily on the train to-and-from work. Fantastic book, but wears you down after a while when the stats variously come along. Would recommend it entirely and have been considering Catastrophe, his similar epic on WW1..

I'm definitely going to read some more of his stuff. I am up to 1943 and from a British point of view only really been fed the war from a British PR point of view it's been an amazing eye opener.

The Band of Brothers (and a few other books I have read) book touches on how the Americans thought our ground troops were ****, but this book reinforces it and how during the war only the Italians were worse. Also how we didn't win the war at all, our job really in the war was purely the image of holding out. He makes mention a lot how we over state our losses when in 14 hours of bombing in Staligrad more Russians died than in the whole of the blitz.

An excellent book so far, I will read some of the books he references I think then try a few more of his books. Kershaws one on Hitler is in my wish list too.

Associate
Just reading the last Wheel of Time book by Robert Jordan (please no spoilers) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for fantasy book series to read afterwards that are somewhat similar?

I haven't read The Game of Thrones yet but I would like to at some point but was wondering if there was anything better to read or whether I should just jump into The Game of Thrones straight afterwards?
Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson, same guy that wrote the last wheel of time books after RJs death. The early Magician books by Raymond E Feist. Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson is a good series but difficult to get into early on.

Soldato

I had this issue recently. I was at a loss as to what to read after WOT; I knew I wanted to read another fantasy series, but I didn't have it in me to read anything epic. Also I wanted to read through an already completed series in order to get the WOT out of my head and not be in a position of waiting around for new releases. I tried reading Malazan, but it was too huge. Tried reading the Lies of Lock Lamora, but it didn't stand out much.

I ended up reading The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It's essentially everything that WOT's not, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's really very character driven, with a large focus on action and interaction scenes. At the same time there's virtually no world-building, very little mythology and a small cast of characters. It was quite a refreshing read to pick something up that didn't spend half a page describing the colour of a good stout Two Rivers wool dress, etc. but at the same time it's definitely a worthy antidote to the slog that is WOT. Unfortunately the FLT didn't really leave a lasting impression on me and despite enjoying the read I can't particularly recall too much of it.

Since I'm so busy at present and don't have the time to get involved in reading anything new... I'm on a WOT re-read and am on The Fires of Heaven :(

Soldato
Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson, same guy that wrote the last wheel of time books after RJs death. The early Magician books by Raymond E Feist. Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson is a good series but difficult to get into early on.

Cool thanks for the recommendations. I've actually read the three Magician books and really enjoyed them. Way of Kings sounds cool. I'll add that to my reading list.

I'll also check out Malazan Book of the Fallen it sounds quite interesting.

I had this issue recently. I was at a loss as to what to read after WOT; I knew I wanted to read another fantasy series, but I didn't have it in me to read anything epic. Also I wanted to read through an already completed series in order to get the WOT out of my head and not be in a position of waiting around for new releases. I tried reading Malazan, but it was too huge. Tried reading the Lies of Lock Lamora, but it didn't stand out much.

I ended up reading The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It's essentially everything that WOT's not, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's really very character driven, with a large focus on action and interaction scenes. At the same time there's virtually no world-building, very little mythology and a small cast of characters. It was quite a refreshing read to pick something up that didn't spend half a page describing the colour of a good stout Two Rivers wool dress, etc. but at the same time it's definitely a worthy antidote to the slog that is WOT. Unfortunately the FLT didn't really leave a lasting impression on me and despite enjoying the read I can't particularly recall too much of it.

Since I'm so busy at present and don't have the time to get involved in reading anything new... I'm on a WOT re-read and am on The Fires of Heaven :(

I've actually got the first two Joe Abercrombie books in my collection but never got round to reading them. I'll see what they are like when I've finally finished reading this series.

Associate
Cool thanks for the recommendations. I've actually read the three Magician books and really enjoyed them. Way of Kings sounds cool. I'll add that to my reading list.

I'll also check out Malazan Book of the Fallen it sounds quite interesting.
There's a thread here about the Malazan books that will give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for.

Soldato
There's a thread here about the Malazan books that will give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for.

I started reading the first 2 pages of the first book on Amazon. I have to say it came across as a rather odd writing style. Not sure I can put my finger on why though. It just didn't seem to flow for me.

Still I shouldn't let that put me off a good fantasy series :). I'll check out the thread. Thanks.

Soldato
I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks. A wonderful book, but rather bittersweet listening in the knowledge it would be the last book in his Culture series of sci-fi novels. He wrapped everything up beautifully though, a parting gift. As such it's not a good place to start if you've not read any of his Culture books, but if you have it's a fitting and self-aware end to the series.

The narration by Peter Kenny was perfect, he always does such a wonderful job. I tend to mostly listen to audiobooks these days (eyesight reasons) and a good narrator can make or break a book.

Back
Top Bottom