What book are you reading...

Associate
Got 117 pages into "The Wise Man's Fear", after a few suspicions, for me to realise I've already read the book back in 2012!

I've just bought "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. Heard it mentioned a lot so figured I should give it a go.

Man of Honour
Fear the future, disappointing end. It's ok. No where near as strong as the first two books though. Some bits are very rushed and other bits feel rushed, should have been a 4 book series.
3/5

Soldato
I'm 2/3rd's of the way through Game of Thrones.

In my to read pile:

Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords (part 2)
Feast for Crows
paid the princely sum of £1- for all 4 books (Charity shop) :D

Trawling the local charity shops for SOS part 1 & both dance with dragons books. (May have to resort to the auction site though)

Man of Honour
Now on to Jupiters Travels
On October 6, 1973, Ted Simon knew there was no going back. He loaded up his 500cc Triumph Tiger in the pouring rain and said good-bye to London.

Over four years he rode 64,000 miles round the world. Breakdowns, revolutions, war, a spell in prison, and a Californian commune were all part of his experience, which was colored variously by utter despair and unimaginable joy. He was treated as a spy, a god, a welcome stranger, and a curiosity. The extraordinary trip became a journey into his own soul, and for many others - including the bikers Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor - it is a pure inspiration. Rupert Degas, "the most versatile of narrators" (The Times), captures all the thrills and spills of Simon's experience and the timeless charm.

Associate
Got 117 pages into "The Wise Man's Fear", after a few suspicions, for me to realise I've already read the book back in 2012!

I've just bought "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. Heard it mentioned a lot so figured I should give it a go.

Funnily enough re-reading Wise Man's Fear atm and really enjoying it the 2nd time round. Looking forward to see how it concludes as I haven't a clue (whenever the third comes out)!

Underboss
I'm on the last chapter of Dance with Dragons.

Read the whole thing through beginning to end and I have enjoyed it very much.

GRRM needs to get the next one released, not sure what I'm going to read in the mean time. I fancy a WW2 fiction style book, not McNab style but entertaining.

Anyone got any suggestions for anything like this?

Man of Honour
Funnily enough re-reading Wise Man's Fear atm and really enjoying it the 2nd time round. Looking forward to see how it concludes as I haven't a clue (whenever the third comes out)!

Given that the story is barley started, I seriously doubt that the third book will complete the series. I can't see less than seven books to tell the story at the current rate of progress.

Currently I'm on "The Moon and the Sun" by Vonda McIntyre. Apparently it's a film, except the film company won't actually release it. Before that was Ancillary Mercy, the last part of Ann Leckie's trilogy. I like the books, but I suspect the readers of more, er, traditional, SF won't. They are odd books in many ways: billed as space opera, there's no battles (except small-scale fights), so huge battle fleets etc. Large parts of the books are about people - traditionally a turn-off for SF readers.

Before that was the last part of Kameron Hurley's trilogy starting with God's War. These are just about the most violent SF books I've ever read - and that includes the books of Richard Morgan. But they are very good, and the world she creates is genuinely original.

I also read the second book of James S A Corey's "Expanse" books. The only way to describe this is that it's just the first book in the Expanse series all over again, with some slight alterations. The main problem is that the overarching plot part is vastly more interesting than the rather silly war going on. The author(s) should just have told that story.

The best book I've read recently though, is Station Eleven by Emily St.John Mandel. It's a book which takes place around the end of the world (by disease), but that's not what it's about. Again, like all the best fiction of any type, it's all about people. And in this case, the connections between them, all via a character who dies in the first chapter, before anyone even realises that the world is about to end.

Associate
Finally got around to finished 'Mockingjay'. Struggled with it. The start was abit dull but enjoyed the middle once it got going. And then the end... what the hell?! Terrible ending. It's almost like she ran out of ideas.

EDIT: Just been reading some of the reddit threads on Mockingjay and they've given me a differemt insight into the book. I didn't enjoy the book but I don't think I was meant to if that makes sense. I take back my comment of her running out of ideas. The ending was terrible, but it's meant to be...

Also, read an interesting book called 'Einstein's Dreams'. It's basically short chapters depicting different variations of time. Strange read, but enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology by John Sweeny.

Remember the video of a guy going berserk in a interview? that’s the guy.

Cover to cover, it is a great read and I enjoyed it but the first 2/3 is quite lethargic. Its taken be about 2-3 months to get through which is disappointing. Its slow to build up, but then an event happens and the last 1/3 just fly by.

Moving onto American psycho now. So many to get through.

Associate
Given that the story is barley started, I seriously doubt that the third book will complete the series. I can't see less than seven books to tell the story at the current rate of progress.

Not sure about that! Think the author was just talking about a trilogy although there will be other stories told in the same world.

Soldato
The Big Short.

Loved the film, the book not so much. It is entertaining but I find myself getting lost in all the economic lingo that only 10% of it actually makes any real sense to me. You get the gist on the whole, but the details are largely lost on me. Which is a shame.

Soldato
Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

And what a gem this turned out to be. Have been trying to find a good fantasy book to read for ages and I stumbled upon this through one of my random searches on the Kindle. I am only 100 pages in, but, it got me hooked right from the start.

Might be a bit too early to tell but, he reminds me a lot of David Gemmell.

Soldato
Soldato
Just reading The Prophecy Con by Patrick Weekes. That name might be familiar to some as he is a writer for BioWare (Mass Effect, Dragon Age)

The book is the 2nd installment about a crew that perform heists in a fantasy setting. Very much Oceans Eleven with elves.
The first book (The Palace Job) was enjoyable enough but there is no description of the world so that can be confusing.

Back
Top Bottom