What book are you reading...

Soldato
I've just finished "The Atlantis World", the last in a trilogy (after "The Atlantis Gene" and "The Atlantis Plague") by A G Riddle (note the gag in the name and titles). The books certainly didn't play out as I expected them to (it starts with a Nazi submarine in an Antarctic iceberg and a murderous kidnapping of two autistic children) but the end result was quite pleasing. It starts off like an episode of 24 and ends up in a huge space opera. There are some poor elements and some of the huge plot points are kind of glossed over, others are introduced for no apparent reason (there is one section where the heroes are trapped in a kind of alien-prehistroic zoo that is just completely pointless) but overall I enjoyed it.

jkb

jkb

Associate
I've just finished "The Atlantis World", the last in a trilogy (after "The Atlantis Gene" and "The Atlantis Plague") by A G Riddle (note the gag in the name and titles). The books certainly didn't play out as I expected them to (it starts with a Nazi submarine in an Antarctic iceberg and a murderous kidnapping of two autistic children) but the end result was quite pleasing. It starts off like an episode of 24 and ends up in a huge space opera. There are some poor elements and some of the huge plot points are kind of glossed over, others are introduced for no apparent reason (there is one section where the heroes are trapped in a kind of alien-prehistroic zoo that is just completely pointless) but overall I enjoyed it.

I gave up about half way through the second one, maybe one day I'll go back and finish it.

Soldato
I gave up about half way through the second one, maybe one day I'll go back and finish it.

If you can bear with it then the final novel actually pays off all the vague hints dropped throughout the series. The Atlanteans suddenly become a race of almost Forerunner-like power. The unknown enemy though is rather poorly written and their creation story is almost ignored. Having reflected more, it kind of felt like he'd thought up a great backstory but then didn't quite have the inclination to fully flesh it out and explore it all the way. At least two main characters have their arcs ended in about 2 pages and it's really underwhelming. I still enjoyed it but I think the Halo universe is more fully realised overall.

Soldato

I read the first 2 then gave up. I thought the first one was really interesting but I didn't like the second book at all. I might try the third book when it is on sale or something.

I struggled on until the end, but can understand why you quit.

Soldato
If theres any Ready Player One fans here, Andy Weir (The Martian) Has just written a fan fiction prequel to this. It's only short but worth a quick read!

I’ve written a bestselling novel. I’ve had a blockbuster movie made out of my book. I've gotten drunk with Ridley Scott. But now I have achieved a dream that’s much harder to accomplish; a dream that almost no writers in history have actually had come true: I wrote a fanfic that BECAME CANON!

Shortly after reading Ernie Cline’s masterpiece “Ready Player One”, I knew I had to make a fanfic. I just needed more of that world. So I wrote a short story called “Lacero” and posted it to my site (with a big fat warning that it spoils RPO so you should read that first).

Ernie read it and liked it. So the recent Subterranean Press version of Ready Player One has some extra materials including “Lacero”!

They sent me a couple of copies of the edition, so I sent Ernie a thank-you email. And I got this reply: “Hey Andy! So glad you received your copies. Thank YOU once again for letting us republish your short story. Now it's canon! I hope you're well, sir. -Ernie”

You heard the man. Canon. Booyah!

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/lacero.html Link to story

Associate
I will finish A Song of Ice and Fire... I will! I went back to the start and I'm now on Book 3: Part 1. I'm dreading the slug of A Feaste For Crows as that's where I gave up last time, but I've got more determination in my reading habits these days!

Associate
I will finish A Song of Ice and Fire... I will! I went back to the start and I'm now on Book 3: Part 1. I'm dreading the slug of A Feaste For Crows as that's where I gave up last time, but I've got more determination in my reading habits these days!

Yeah, A Feast for Crows almost defeated me. Unfortunately I found A Dance With Dragons just as tedeous! I don't think I'll bother wioth The Winds of Winter when it comes out, life's too short. Shame really as the first few books were some of the best I've read!

Associate
Finished Dancer's Lament - Was really good seeing how it all began

Currently reading Tigana on my phone when I'm waiting somewhere like the dentist. Also reading The Once and Future King on my Nook before i sleep. Then i have The Expanse series to read...

Soldato
Well this is probably past due but I finally discovered The Lies of Locke Lamora - I'm ashamed to say I didn't read it until now as I was put off by the cover and the title. What a fantastic book, I can't think of an opening to a fantasy series that I have enjoyed anywhere near as much. If there are any of you here that haven't read it yet I'd move it to the very top of your list.

Man of Honour
Finished The Search for Exoplanets: What Astronomers Know
which is actually just a series of lectures, fascinating stuff, shame space missions are so expensive and thus takes so long to plan. Technologically we're on the cusp. But going to take 10 or so years before we get a decent mission.

Now on to Pushing Ice, Alastair Reynolds
2057. Humanity has raised exploiting the solar system to an art form. Bella Lind and the crew of her nuclear-powered ship, the Rockhopper, push ice. They mine comets. And they're good at it. The Rockhopper is nearing the end of its current mission cycle, and everyone is desperate for some much-needed R & R, when startling news arrives from Saturn: Janus, one of Saturn's ice moons, has inexplicably left its natural orbit and is now heading out of the solar system at high speed.

It starts a bit old, gives you the ending then tells the story. Not sure it works so well fir this kind of book. But we will see.

Soldato
Well this is probably past due but I finally discovered The Lies of Locke Lamora - I'm ashamed to say I didn't read it until now as I was put off by the cover and the title. What a fantastic book, I can't think of an opening to a fantasy series that I have enjoyed anywhere near as much. If there are any of you here that haven't read it yet I'd move it to the very top of your list.

It's next on my list as a few friends have been raving about it.

Soldato

Good stuff, I think I will give it a go right after I finish the Raven's Shadow books.

Soldato
Just finished Scott Lynch - Red Seas Under Red Skies - the next book in the Gentlemen ******* series. Not as good as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but a complete page turner, cover to cover in 4 days.

Moved onto the last in the series now.

Soldato
Just stared Mazalan book of the fallen series, so far seems deep! About 15% into book 1! I hear it gets harder to follow but is really rewarding if you stick with it? Not the biggest reader but will try my best

Back
Top Bottom