What book are you reading...

Permabanned
haha, same I started my interest in fantasy with Brooks, but it was the Elfstones of Shannara for me. A friend had the book and I managed to read about 20 or so pages on a school tour. Instantly hooked.

But as you say, the books have been rubbish for years. The Heritage of Shannara were the last books that I found interesting. All the rest are so unremarkable that I can't remember anything about them, or the characters and keep getting them mixed up.

Yeah, sadly the Heritage series were the peak. Now descended into a deep trough of mediocrity.

Associate
Finished Tigana... wow

Off to read more from the author.

Just started Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Have a few of them to blitz over the next fortnight.
Got me interested so far which is a good sign.

They are pretty good reads, still waiting on the next one.

Soldato
What are the best books out there at the moment?

Me and my wife have just started reading again and would like some recommendations please?

I'm in to sc-fi, crime and thrillers etc. My wife is in to psychological thrillers, mystery, thrillers, horrors, romance and drama etc.

Thanks

Soldato
What are the best books out there at the moment?

Me and my wife have just started reading again and would like some recommendations please?

I'm in to sc-fi, crime and thrillers etc. My wife is in to psychological thrillers, mystery, thrillers, horrors, romance and drama etc.

Thanks

I have just finished reading the Elvis and Cole series by Robert Crais. Sounds like something you both might like.

Associate
Ive been reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King...

Found out earlier today that its being turned into a move with Idris Elba playing the gunslinger :D cant wait for this to come out!

Soldato
Finished Tigana... wow

:D I read that book three times at school - loved it! Throughout uni I read the rest of his stuff, plus a bunch of other fantasy. Other than Tigana, The Fionavar Tapestry and a A Song for Arbonne stuck with me the most.

It looks like a bunch of us are reading the same stuff and started from similar places. I started with the Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen Donaldson, Stephen Lawhead etc and never looked back. Oh, and Sir Terry of course! Fantasy, be it more grounded or proper high fantasy, is totally my bag.

More recently I've gotten up-to-date with the Gentleman *******s (great so far), The King Slayer Chronicle series (just as good) and finished The Left Hand of God series (loved it). I'm currently working through the Demon Cycle series (book 4 at the mo and loving it!) and the standalone books that sit alongside the First Law trilogy. The First Law trilogy is possibly my favourite fantasy series in a good while btw. Fantastic stuff!

Associate
Currently re-reading Clive Barker's Imajica.

I read it when it was originally released and remembered I enjoyed it. This second re-reading some 20 odd years later, I'm feeling as if Barker is being self indulgent somewhat - drawing on his own experiences of his own sexuality.

It's still a good horror/fantasy read, but not as good as I originally remember. Maybe my tastes have changed over the years. I enjoyed his Weaveworld too, maybe I'll re-read that and see if it's his writing style.

Looking forward to getting and reading:

Joe Hill - The Fireman
Stephen King - End of Watch (last in the Bill Hodges trilogy, really enjoyed Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers)

Associate
Just finisihed 'To Have And Have Not' by Ernest Hemingway. Quite brutal in places, not much sentimentality I enjoyed it but the last quarter of the book seems to have little relevance to the main plot which spoilt it somewhat. Also the liberal use of the 'N' word was quite shocking to my modern sensibilities.

Just started 'Of Mice And Men' by John Steinbeck, really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King...

Found out earlier today that its being turned into a move with Idris Elba playing the gunslinger :D cant wait for this to come out!

Snap :D I read these years ago and have just started rereading them. It's an epic journey!!

I can't imagine how the movie will turn out. It took 3 movies to do justice to the Hobbit and the Dark Tower is infinitely more complex. First 10 part movie ever filmed :p

Associate
Snap :D I read these years ago and have just started rereading them. It's an epic journey!!

I can't imagine how the movie will turn out. It took 3 movies to do justice to the Hobbit and the Dark Tower is infinitely more complex. First 10 part movie ever filmed :p

Stephen King has pretty much said that the film will change from the books. I get the feeling (that whilst the end will more or less be the same) how they get there will be different from the original written source.

I think he actually went on record to say that hardcore fans of the series might not like the changes, for example the film is going to start in the "middle" of the story not the beginning.

The film is supposed to be the "first of many, based on the Dark Tower series", not sure what "many films" actually equates to. But then again, I suppose, follow on films will only be made depending on how financially successful the first is!

Soldato
First 10 part movie ever filmed :p

At least! A high budget series would suit it better imo. Either way, I'm hyped.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the Salem's Lot and IT bits. And whether they'll get Stephen King to play himself. And the big bear! And the mental train! Getting even more hyped now :D

Associate
Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie

It's the third in the third law series and I'm really enjoying it.

Does anyone have any recommendations of fantasy book series. I have read the wheel of time and most brandon sanders stuff already.

Soldato

Does anyone have any recommendations of fantasy book series. I have read the wheel of time and most brandon sanders stuff already.

I mentioned a few in the last paragraph a few posts up. I loved the First Law series too so we may have similar tastes. You could also try Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - it's the first of three standalone books set in the same time as the First Law series. I'm half way through it at the mo and, without spoiling anything, it's fleshing out one of my favourite characters from the series very nicely.

Associate
:D I read that book three times at school - loved it! Throughout uni I read the rest of his stuff, plus a bunch of other fantasy. Other than Tigana, The Fionavar Tapestry and a A Song for Arbonne stuck with me the most.

It looks like a bunch of us are reading the same stuff and started from similar places. I started with the Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen Donaldson, Stephen Lawhead etc and never looked back. Oh, and Sir Terry of course! Fantasy, be it more grounded or proper high fantasy, is totally my bag.

More recently I've gotten up-to-date with the Gentleman ******* (great so far), The King Slayer Chronicle series (just as good) and finished The Left Hand of God series (loved it). I'm currently working through the Demon Cycle series (book 4 at the mo and loving it!) and the standalone books that sit alongside the First Law trilogy. The First Law trilogy is possibly my favourite fantasy series in a good while btw. Fantastic stuff!

Im starting some of his other stuff and i can tell its already going to be good.

Yep what you're reading are pretty damn good. The demon cycle kinda petered out after the 1st book imo

Best Served Cold is damn... It's my favourite book in the first law world.

Check out the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan

Associate
I remember trying to read war of the world's a while ago and the style of writing and technical lingo went straight over my head. Never felt so out of my depth before haha.
I love War of the Worlds, it's a great story. Worth another try!!

Just started Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Have a few of them to blitz over the next fortnight.
Got me interested so far which is a good sign.
It's a good series although book 2 onwards doesn't quite live up to the potential that the first one lays down, and there is a bit of a silly twist at the end of book 4. Book 6 is out this summer I think, and I did read somewhere that they were going to make it into a TV series.

As Warbie says, carry on with the next in that line of stories, they are great. I'm just coming to the end of Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of The First Law, which as the name suggests, is a series of short stories from The First Law world. They all contain characters from previous books, and the last one is about The Bloody Nine :D!! I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Associate

May I suggest you have a look at Mark Lawrence's works ( The Broken Empire Trilogy and the Red Queen's War Trilogy ) if you favour the grimdark style of Sith Lord Abercrombie ;)

Associate

Stephen King has pretty much said that the film will change from the books. I get the feeling (that whilst the end will more or less be the same) how they get there will be different from the original written source.

I think he actually went on record to say that hardcore fans of the series might not like the changes, for example the film is going to start in the "middle" of the story not the beginning.

The film is supposed to be the "first of many, based on the Dark Tower series", not sure what "many films" actually equates to. But then again, I suppose, follow on films will only be made depending on how financially successful the first is!

From what I read in SFX the other day, you are correct, the movie will start somewhere in the middle of the book series so we wont get to see anything from the early days of Rolands adventures :( but we do meet 'The Man In Black' played by Matthew McConaughey.

I'm currently only on book 3 so I need to get my act together if I want see this when it comes out. :p

Back
Top Bottom