What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
now onto season 3 of yesterdays gone.
I cant stop. it;snot the best thing, but it's addictive. want to know what happens.
it's compared to lost, but they actually slowly unravel what's happening.

Can humanity survive what it never saw coming? On October 15 at 2:15 a.m. Earth vanished. A scattered few woke alone in a world with no rules, other than survival at any cost. A journalist wanders the wretched reality of an empty New York, searching for his wife and son. A serial killer must hunt in a land where prey is now an endangered species. A mother shields her young daughter from danger through every terror-filled breath.

A bullied teen is thrilled to find the world gone missing, until the knock on his door. A fugitive survives a fiery plane crash. Will he be redeemed, or return to the killing he's best at? An eight-year-old boy sets out on a journey to find his missing family, only to find something that will change him forever. These survivors aren't truly alone...Someone or something is watching them. And waiting...

Man of Honour
Anyone who is a fan of Altered Carbon (R.Morgan) will be pleased/nervous to know that Netflix are going to do a series based on it with Joel Kinnaman as the lead.

File me under nervous. And given that the whole point of the books is re-sleeving, I can't help feeling that they will bottle out and a single actor play Kovacs for almost all of it. And most of the insane violence will not be in it.

For those who do like those books, the nearest thing currently, in style at least, is Kameron Hurley.

Soldato
File me under nervous. And given that the whole point of the books is re-sleeving, I can't help feeling that they will bottle out and a single actor play Kovacs for almost all of it. And most of the insane violence will not be in it.

For those who do like those books, the nearest thing currently, in style at least, is Kameron Hurley.

Altered Carbon will be the first series, and in that Kovacs is almost exclusively in the Riker sleeve, right up until the attack on the floating brothel, and when he's tortured at the re-sleeving facility.

If they do a book a series, then in the second book (Broken Angels) he's in the Wedge sleeve exclusively, except for the end (when they are all dying of radiation poisoning). Even the sex scene in the VR unit his mental image of himself is as the Wedge sleeve.

In Woken Furies he starts in the cheapie throwaway synth sleeve after his one is taken, but as soon as he's out with the DeCom crew, they find the old lab and he quickly ends up with the extreme sports climber sleeve that he's got all the way to the end.

So it would be pretty easy to have one actor play Kovacs per series to match to each book. If they do away with sleeving, then they are missing the point of the character, because he's not a soldier of the body, but of the mind. Everything in the background is coloured and affected by the fact it's easy to swap bodies, and the rich can live for ever that way. It's the only way humans can travel interstellar distances faster then light, or slower on colony ships to be downloaded to new bodies. It's central to the plot of Altered Carbon regarding the Catholic stand against it, the murders, the relationships between the main characters and a lot of the minor ones.

Morgan speaks highly of the script writers and showrunners that got this off the ground. They love the books and character, I can't see that they would screw up something so fundamental when they've been given a free hand and a bucket of cash from Netflix

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like the In Her Name series by Micheal R Hicks ticks some of those boxes.

The first book, First Contact, is free on Amazon (Kindle).

Thank you very much for this recommendation!! :) I read the first book and it was good, then I read the second book and it was better. I am now on the 4th book, Empire, started it last night and couldn't put it down. I fell asleep after reading 3/4's of it. Awesome books so far.

And they are great value, only a few quid each.

Caporegime
Almost finished the first book in the Fear the Sky saga. Like the charcaters and the idea but the book is a bit ****. Terrible writing in the build up, just is not remotely believeable or making sense.

Not sure I'm going to bother with book 2 and 3.

Associate
Thank you very much for this recommendation!! :) I read the first book and it was good, then I read the second book and it was better. I am now on the 4th book, Empire, started it last night and couldn't put it down. I fell asleep after reading 3/4's of it. Awesome books so far.

And they are great value, only a few quid each.

Glad you like them.
When your done, check out his Harvest trilogy and The Black Gate, equally enjoyable reads.

Permabanned
ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!

So I saw on here people were reading the Gentlemen ******* series and I picked them up. Just finished the third book, thought it was a trilogy, turns outs its a SEVEN part series, SEVEN! gods dammit, I will probably die before these are finished...... :(

So annoyed, really not keen on reading unfinished series!!

(They were fairly good though :p)

Soldato
^ I'm nearly at the end of Book 3 and loving it so far. Book 4 should be out (hopefully) before Christmas.

I looked for a movie in production and although it has been mentioned, it seems to have died down. A TV series would be better, similar to how Game of Thrones has 1 book per season (more or less anyway). A steampunky, seedy Venice with a touch of magic would be great.

Soldato
Just finished book 3 of the Gentlemen ******** series today, enjoyed them all, but book 1 was definitely the best. Interesting to see where it goes given the ending to book 3! :)

Any recommendations on what to read next in the Fantasy genre? Was considering checking out the 3rd book of the Blood Song trilogy, but by all accounts book 3 is terrible.

Man of Honour
finaly getting round to
Elon Musk by: Ashlee Vance
South African-born Elon Musk is the renowned entrepreneur and innovator behind PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity. Musk wants to save our planet; he wants to send citizens into space, to form a colony on Mars; he wants to make money while doing these things; and he wants us all to know about it. He is the real-life inspiration for the Iron Man series of films starring Robert Downey, Jr. The personal tale of Musk's life comes with all the trappings one associates with a great, drama-filled story.

Associate
ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!

So I saw on here people were reading the Gentlemen ******* series and I picked them up. Just finished the third book, thought it was a trilogy, turns outs its a SEVEN part series, SEVEN! gods dammit, I will probably die before these are finished...... :(

So annoyed, really not keen on reading unfinished series!!

(They were fairly good though :p)

^ I'm nearly at the end of Book 3 and loving it so far. Book 4 should be out (hopefully) before Christmas.

I looked for a movie in production and although it has been mentioned, it seems to have died down. A TV series would be better, similar to how Game of Thrones has 1 book per season (more or less anyway). A steampunky, seedy Venice with a touch of magic would be great.

Just finished book 3 of the Gentlemen ******** series today, enjoyed them all, but book 1 was definitely the best. Interesting to see where it goes given the ending to book 3! :)

I've had book one on my to read list for quite some time. I've decided it'll be my holiday read for when I'm sitting around the pool, provided the kids play nice and don't drown!

Soldato
Finished Book 3 of The Gentleman *******s on Friday night. Can't wait for book 4.

Moved onto and finished HG Wells Men Like Gods which took me a few chapters to get into due to the writing style (1922). Some interesting ideas he had about the future such a wifi hotspots and email/video messaging made me smile as he couldn't know they would become reality. Reminded me of Asimov a fair bit.

Associate
I remember trying to read war of the world's a while ago and the style of writing and technical lingo went straight over my head. Never felt so out of my depth before haha.

Not much of a reader, but I was given a couple of older Folio Society versions of the hobbit and LOTR books. So I started on the hobbit first.

Audiobook wise, I finally finished The wise man's fear - thought it was great! I also started Dawn of Wonder...not sure about this. not as much action as I was hoping, only about 2\3 the way through, so I've still got high hopes.

Soldato
I am currently working my way through the Horus heresy series of the warhammer 40k books after being given the first 12 book box set for Christmas. I think I'm on book 19 now, but they continue to be excellent!

For anyone interested in getting out the 40k books (I should mention that I had and still have zero interest in the tabletop games) then I recommend starting with the Eisenhorn trilogy. Just really good books with a very cool universe to enjoy.

Associate
Just finished 'The girl on the train' the missus recommended it to me and I loved every second! On to 'Orange is the new black' now, loved the netflix series so wanted to see how it compared.

Man of Honour
The Lightning Boys: True Tales from Pilots of the English Electric Lightning
According to a recent international study, the Lightning is the fifth most popular military aircraft of all time. It has many thousands of devotees who are a ready market for this timely and entertaining book which, with over 20 individual stories from former Lightning pilots, relates the highs and lows, and the dramas and the demands of those who operated this iconic aircraft from the sharp end.

great stuff so far.

Permabanned
Well being a glutton for punishment I got the last couple of Terry Brooks Shannara books, just cant stop myself even though they have been pretty rubbish for the past 10-15 years.

The Darkling Child
The Sorcerer’s Daughter

Dont bother unless you are a massive massive fan. Absolute dross.

Only keep reading his stuff as in 1983 I found the Sword of Shannara in the school library and pretty much kicked off my interest in fantasy literature.

Soldato
Well being a glutton for punishment I got the last couple of Terry Brooks Shannara books, just cant stop myself even though they have been pretty rubbish for the past 10-15 years.

The Darkling Child
The Sorcerer’s Daughter

Dont bother unless you are a massive massive fan. Absolute dross.

Only keep reading his stuff as in 1983 I found the Sword of Shannara in the school library and pretty much kicked off my interest in fantasy literature.

haha, same I started my interest in fantasy with Brooks, but it was the Elfstones of Shannara for me. A friend had the book and I managed to read about 20 or so pages on a school tour. Instantly hooked.

But as you say, the books have been rubbish for years. The Heritage of Shannara were the last books that I found interesting. All the rest are so unremarkable that I can't remember anything about them, or the characters and keep getting them mixed up.

Soldato
I enjoyed the Shannara books, specially the earlier ones but decided to pull the plug when it came to the Word & Void series as they were pretty bad to say the least.

I read the Belgariad and the Malloreon, then Wheel of Time in it's entirety and then all available books in the Song of Ice and Fire series and am thoroughly fantasied out. So I changed direction and read all of the Jack Reacher novels and now I'm working through the Harry Bosch books.

Back
Top Bottom