What book are you reading...

Soldato
Some of Bank's Culture books are more Culture than others. Some pay a little lip service, others properly immerse themselves into the Culture environment. Consider Phlebas has a main character that isn't actually Culture, so it's more a background thing.

I'd suggest "Player Of Games" and "Excession" are the most Culture-laden books.

Man of Honour
Consider Phlebas has a main character that isn't actually Culture

If you notice, the majority of main characters in the Culture books are not actually Culture. Culture characters feature (and in at least one case we only guess they are culture, because the planet in question doesn't know they exist) but as bit parts - the main characters mostly view the Culture from outside. That's why it takes a while to understand the true nature of the Culture.

Soldato
If you notice, the majority of main characters in the Culture books are not actually Culture. Culture characters feature (and in at least one case we only guess they are culture, because the planet in question doesn't know they exist) but as bit parts - the main characters mostly view the Culture from outside. That's why it takes a while to understand the true nature of the Culture.

Exactly, and that's my gripe about many of the Culture books - the Culture is hardly in them!

Associate
Currently reading "The Lies Of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch" after seeing it mentioned a lot on here. have to say I am about 130 pages in and really enjoying it :)

On another note - The Rainforest has kindle editions of some of the witcher books for £1.99 each today in their daily deals. Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, Time of Contempt and Baptism of fire are all there.

Associate
Max Hastings : All Hell Let Loose.
very comprehensive account of WW2 , actually felt sorry for the German civilians , never really thought about them before as civilians only as Nazi sympathizers that deserved the pounding they got off bomber Harris.
Definitely going to get more of his books.

Soldato
Ben Aaronovitch's Whispers Under Ground (book 3 of Rivers of London)

So far an enjoyable series (London cop finds out there is magic, and supernatural things/people happen). Bits of humour scattered throughout and some nice action pieces.

Man of Honour
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
Some interesting points I hadn't thought about, but not relay aimed at me.
More for those that are religious or tipping away from religion.

Associate
Finally up to date with GOT - I didn't realise that I had bought book five in one giant installment so I have no need for the part 2 book I also have haha! Reading all of the series back to back has definitely made it easier to follow and thus more enjoyable.

Moved on to Life of Pi now. I like how the guy writes. I seem to be flying through it but then I have just read thousands of GOT pages haha.

Soldato
Black Sails, Disco Inferno - Andrez Bergen

Think modem day retelling of Tristan & Isolde but flipped and landed in a murky noir puddle with floating disco and gangster era references. Love this author, such a shame he isn't better known over here.

Associate
I love Matthew Reilly books but the Tournament was a bit of a drag for me.
Ironically I really enjoyed the short story he released introducing the characters for the Tournament (called Roger Ascham and The King’s Lost Girl which is free on his website).

Soldato
Just looking to keep updated. Anyone still reading and using Goodreads? I'd like to add some more friends.

I struggle to read most of the time. Too many other distractions around me. I've found a way to combat this though :D. I've decided that I'm going to read at least one chapter of a book per day. Almost finished the 6th book in the Skulduggery Pleasant serie and this way has helped to stay focused.

Soldato
I love Matthew Reilly books but the Tournament was a bit of a drag for me.
Ironically I really enjoyed the short story he released introducing the characters for the Tournament (called Roger Ascham and The King’s Lost Girl which is free on his website).

Thanks for this. I didn't realise that book was a scene setter for Tournament.

Caporegime
Max Hastings : All Hell Let Loose.
very comprehensive account of WW2 , actually felt sorry for the German civilians , never really thought about them before as civilians only as Nazi sympathizers that deserved the pounding they got off bomber Harris.
Definitely going to get more of his books.

I felt for the Chinese and had a greater sympathy for what they now are after what they suffered from the Japanese. It was refreshing to read a book that wasn't UK propaganda about two world wars and one world cup. A book that challenged how much we actually did to win WW2 and the moral issues with the countries we sold down the river with promises we never had any intention of keeping. I too loved the book and in 12 months will read it all over again. Fantastic book that I could talk about all day.

Soldato
Exactly, and that's my gripe about many of the Culture books - the Culture is hardly in them!

That is what I utterly love, even the feersum enjinn one, culture in parts, and showing from all points. I loved 'use of weapons' as it showed the ideals and had a certain thing that anyone who has read the book will get.
Excession, best ship based book certainly, showing SC in their full element and flow.

Love Banks work, shame the guy is dead, utter shame, will miss that we do not get any additional Culture works, shame shame shame.

Back
Top Bottom