What book are you reading...

Soldato
I have read the entire conjoiner space series and the Pushing Ice but I do find Reynolds quite hard going. They are also quite miserable in some regards, hope and growth are in short supply, misery and decay aplenty. But I can't deny they are beautifully written novels with real breadth and scope. I much prefer the tone of Peter F Hamilton.

The thing with Hamilton, though I love his work, I can't help but feel that his storytelling has gone downhill from the heady days of Mindstar and Night's Dawn. There's now a lot of cliche and obviousness in his storylines. Great North Road I found very slow in the first half, very predictable in the second, and then wrapped up quickly like Hamilton got bored of it once he hit his required page count. The Void books I found might as well have been a fantasy book, so little was set in the Confederation proper. I liked the setting of Fallen Dragon, but Hamilton did the same trick of a deux ex machina ending to get it all wrapped up at the last moment. Neal Asher, Charles Stross and Richard Morgan have managed to keep their quality up, and I feel that's not the case with Hamilton.

I agree with you about Reynolds though. They are amazingly written, incredibly dense, but they do have a stark desolation about them that somehow fits in with the star-spanning worlds he builds. When that crew is stuck on the lighthugger, you really feel they are light years from anything but each other. When they are chasing each other across the galaxy at near light speed in House of Suns, you feel the weight of all those years at relativistic speeds. It's like the enormity of the universe weighs down on you as if you were there and contemplating it yourself. Which is one of the special things that Alastair Reynolds does that no one else does.

Not all his books are like that. Some like Posidon's Children do feel much lighter, probably because they concentrate on people rather than events, and they are set closer to home in a galactic sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished a back to back of
'The City and the city' then 'Embassytown' (China Miéville)
then blitzed 'Neuromancer' in 6 days and reading 'The forever war' (Joe Haldeman) while I wait for a friend lending me 'Count Zero' :)

After that I've got the first wheel of time book which I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole haha

Associate
The Lords Of Midnight by Drew Wagar.
Night has fallen and the foul are abroad!

Stumbled over this one and decided to give it a go - more for nostalgia than anything else.

For those not in the know, Lords Of Midnight was an amazing fantasy strategy game on 8 bit computers by Mike Singleton - back in the dawn of home computing (now available on Android and iOS!) and was very ahead of it's time.

This is a book written last year based on the story as it unfolds in the game.
It's a rather enjoyable fantasy romp, I suspect mainly because I played the game to death and remember all the character names!

It's also, rather unfairly I think, called a Lord Of The Rings rip off. Sure it has similarities, but it's a fantasy novel! They all involve long journeys to destroy evil!

Definitely will buy part 2, Doomdark's Revenge, when it comes out later this year (again based on the game of the same name).
He is also hoping to finish the trilogy with Eye Of The Moon - which, sadly, Mike Singleton never got round to making.

Soldato
Still working through The Stand by Stephen King, blitzed the first 400 pages covering the breakdown faster than I've read a book in ages. The next 150 was a real slog as it got to going all mystical but I'm after the 550 mark when they hit Boulder it's started getting back on track and I'm enjoying it again. Few hundred more pages to go and some real interesting threads to follow.

Hammering Walking Dead comics at the moment, read 22 & 23 in one day and just ordered 24-27 on next day delivery. The comic is so, sooooo much better than the series and the it's even better now I'm beyond what's been covered in the series. I mean it was different enough as it was but being in completely uncharted territory is nice and it is showing the quality of the writing as well. I had what I thought nailed the problems for 23 from 22 but it actually went in unexpected, and good, directions which was enjoyable. Not a terribly big fan of the art, I'm over the lack of colour, but just a lot of panels are extremely slapdash and the facial expressions at times can be nigh on indistinguishable. All said and done well worth a read for anyone who has been tempted but so far resisted

Soldato
Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis. It's quite good but tends to dwell more on his own drug use rather than stuff about the chili peppers which is quite disappointing as I was a massive chili's fan in the 90s.
Still worth a read though

Associate
I got The Children of Ruin (Adrian Tchaikovsky), sequel to The Children of Time, to read; but I'm making my way through The Rivers of London series (Ben Aaronovitch) are an easy read and pretty funny, on Broken Homes (book 4) (and is being adapted into a TV series by Pegg and Frost's production company).

Associate
Helter Skelter - The True Story of the Manson Murders - Vincent Bugliosi

Fascinating and really quite scary in equal measure.

Prompted by Tarantinos upcoming Once upon a Time in Hollywood (which I'm very much looking forward to)

Soldato
I got The Children of Ruin (Adrian Tchaikovsky), sequel to The Children of Time, to read; but I'm making my way through The Rivers of London series (Ben Aaronovitch) are an easy read and pretty funny, on Broken Homes (book 4) (and is being adapted into a TV series by Pegg and Frost's production company).

Thanks Roge, I didn't realise that he'd written a sequel. I really enjoyed CoT so will seek it CoR.

I'm working my way through Peter Clines' "Ex Heroes" quadrilogy. Essentially, superheroes v zombies in modern day LA. Not exactly high literature but fun reads. :)

Also, "How to be champion" by Sarah Millican. Switching between Kindle and audio (love that capability) and had me chuckling like a loon as I was walking the dog. Full of foul language, sex references and hilarious anecdotes but also has nice little tips at the end of each chapter, which are kind of comedic 'self help'. Enjoyable.

Associate
Picked up 'Pegasus Bridge' by Stephen Ambrose and started that last night.

It's not something I know much about as other bridges seemed to get more exposure time , so this will be a good read hopefully

Soldato
Stuck on Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, it's not really a book more a list of ideas (about 9 months and still going).
Just finished Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, read it a few times still love it. Just started Judas Unchained the sequel.
Still got GOT: Dance of Dragons to finish off and then a few books banked, Sapiens, Rotherweird, Complete Akira Manga and a couple of others.

Associate
Currently reading;
Utopia for Realists by Rutger Bregman.
Anarch by Dan Abnett

Also the Bible to see if it mentions season 8 Game of thrones finale as a precursor to the Rapture.

Back
Top Bottom