1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What book are you reading...

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by agnes, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dano

Sgarrista

About to start re reading Dune since the collection is 99p on Amazon kindle today :)

2. something daft already!!

Mobster

God is not Great. Christopher Hitchens.

3. 8myers8

Gangster

The autobiography of Hodor: My Journey North

4. checjb

Wise Guy

Coped from the "What film did you watch last night" thread: I have just at the end of "Predator: If It Bleeds", which is an anthology of short stories based on the Predator franchise. And by that I mean only Predator 1 & 2 (one even 'stars' Harrigan). It's superb. Every single story is a worthy addition to the mythos and wipes the floor with anything made after Predator 2. These are stories written by people who actually watched and cared about the 2 films. If they filmed them (kind of like Netflix's "... & Robots" anthology) it would be awesome. Instead, they let Shane Black make his abomination. Such a waste.

This book is excellent. Some great authors contributing brilliant stories. We have the full range of times/eras. Vikings, Samurai, cowboys, Vietnam, Danny Glover's 'Mike Harrigan' in a Brazilian drug war and then into the future with a tie-in to Lebbon's 'Rage War' trilogy. No xenomorphs, no hybrids, no autistic kids leading Black Ops research teams, just Yautja doing their thing. It's almost enough to wash away the bad taste that the last 3 movies leave in the mouth. Almost.

5. Torquar

Hitman

Tiamat's Wrath, James S A Corey. Still loving The Expanse.

6. Yesevil

Associate

The Fold - Peter Clines

Shortly to be followed by Paradox Unbound also by Peter Clines

7. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Almost at the end of Persepolis Rising and have to wait 8 months for the paperback of TW :(

I don't read digitally as i'm at work when i read and all mobile/tablet devices are prohibited.

8. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

I'm about a quarter of the way through Expanse number 4. Really enjoying it again. I find everything really easy to visualise (not seen the show yet!).

9. No1newts

Capodecina

I want to read the books but the show is doing such an ace job i don't want to risk ruining it.

10. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

If anything it'll just deepen the universe and experience for you. The TV show is surprisingly faithful to the books.

11. neviditelny

Hitman

Anyone who can recommend me some true crime books? I've just read the book about Levi Bellfied written by the lead investigator of the murders and got very interested n reading more books but got no idea where to start. Previously I read the book "the Jigsaw Man" by Paul Britton who is a forensic psychologist and I foudn that really interesting too.

12. Malevolence

Capodecina

Picked up 'The Hunt for Red October' for a quid in The Works sale today, so will be reading that. Can't believe that I've never read the book, especially considering I've read nearly all the other Tom Clancy novels and have seen the film God knows how many times.

13. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

So after reading a few recommendations, it seems as though a good book to follow from The Expanse series is Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds.

Read the first 40 or so pages on break a little while ago, seems very heavy going straight off the bat, huge in scope and scale. Quite jarring in that the first three chapters are in three different time periods as well and not chronological.

14. Steampunk

Soldato

The Revelation Space books are incredibly, incredibly dense. They are full of storylines, important characters, different time periods, mind bending ideas, different planets, etc. They have a real sense of desolation and huge scope. It's like a sci-fi War & Peace. You feel mentally exhausted reading them, there is so much in there, and you find new things when you re-read them. They are very good, but you do have to gird your loins to read them, they are that intense.

15. Darujhistan

Mobster

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss.

The Birth of Classical Europe, a History from Troy to Augustine - Price/Thonemann (largely in anticipation of Imperator: Rome)

16. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Thanks for the comments, never really realised how deep they were from the recommendations I'd seen online. Will definitely stick with at least the first book and see how I feel at the end.

Doesn't help I only have time to read in breaks at work and my head is normally frazzled before even starting to read each day.

17. chroniclard

Capodecina

Pandering for a bit of a sci-fi fix I have been reading some books by Peter F Hamilton who I have not read before. I have read the Void Trilogy which was fairly good. Now on the second book of The Nights Dawn Trilogy, also quite good so far.

18. j.col

Mobster

Really enjoyed it,
    let's hope Mr Rothfuss gets his ass in gear and releases the third book in the series soon as i have been waiting years for it

19. jumpy

Mobster

Currently reading The Gulag Archipelago (volume 1) by aleksandr solzhenitsyn.
    isbn 978-0-06-125371-3

I stumbled upon an audio book of this from the 1970's on youtube and decided I had to read it for myself.

Volumes 2 & 3 are waiting on the shelf.

My overriding impression is that of a rabid animal eating itself. But instead of a diseased animal succumbing to madness, it is men and women... wholesale submission to and participation in such unbridled savagery and revolutionary didactics that I can scarcely comprehend that such madness has existed (and continues) in the minds of individuals like you and I.
    If you ever wanted a glimpse into the terror of bureaucracy, the indifference of ideologies, and the petty brutality and servile nature of human beings, the outcome of which is the murder and working to death of millions of people, then this is the uncomfortable read for you.

Given what I've digested of this title so far, I'd wager that just about everyone in GD or speakers corner (or motors and home and garden, for that matter :eek: ) would suffer arrest and torture and detention prior to sentencing; either a bullet to the back of the head or a minimum of 10, 15, or 25 years in a hard labour camp, followed by exile should you survive.

I sometimes have to stand back and remember how lucky we are to be alive now and in a western country. Whilst we have a chequered history here in the UK, nothing (and I really mean nothing) compares or comes even remotely close to the terror crushingly imposed on the victims of the russian revolution and its subsequent generations under the yoke of the soviet union.

20. chroniclard

Capodecina

Been so long i will have to re-read the others before hand!