What book are you reading...

Soldato
His best book is probably "Other Days, Other Eyes". Technically it's a fix-up (linked short stories) but it's worth reading for "Light of Other Days" alone. It's how a single invention which seems simple changes the world.

I want that, but it's £20 on ebay!

I read Light Of Other Days in a Sci fi compilation recently- one of the best stories i've read in years. The slow glass idea is just incredible.

I've just started 1982 Annual World's Best Scifi, edited by Donald Wollheim. I'm about halfway through the 20 or so volumes. Some of those are excellent- that's where I read the Bob Shaw story.

Soldato
Been reading a lot of RR Haywood recently.

Extracted trilogy.
Time travel. A guy invents a time travel device and it goes wrong when the timeline changes. Insert heroes to sort it out and some bad guys to mess it up.
Very enjoyable read.

Code trilogy.
Generation ships leave Earth to find another home for humans. Hundreds of years have passed and still nothing. It's there a conspiracy? Insert heroes to sort it out and bad guys to foil them.
Couldn't put it down.

Fiction Land
New series I believe. A little confusing to get into until you understand what's going on. What would John Wick do? Contains heroes and bad guys.

Undead series.
Zombies Vs people.
Currently on book 2 (the second week) and it's an interesting take on the zombie thing (Romero or 28 Days Later?).
Really enjoying it so far

Associate
Undead series.
Zombies Vs people.
Currently on book 2 (the second week) and it's an interesting take on the zombie thing (Romero or 28 Days Later?).
Really enjoying it so far
Loved the Undead series.

Be interesting to see what happens when you get to Day/Book 16.
From what I gathered, the author split the book into two parts. His "fans" kicked off saying it was a "money grab".
The Day/Book 16 on Amazon only seems to be Part 1 and I could not find Part 2 anywhere (found a link but it just led to a 404 error).

It was a few years ago so maybe it has been updated and merged back together. But if you move onto Day/Book 17 and wonder why the events don't follow on, now you know!
Just a slight blip in what is a fun read.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just finished Tai Pan by James Clavell. Absolutely brilliant.

I had read Shogun previously and started Tai Pan but gave up after a short while as I thought it was going to be too much "slang" for me. I think I was just tired at the time and couldn't get into it. Tried it again and I think its probably my favourite of the two books. Really takes you back to that time and the rivalries, personalities and politics. I think what I loved the most was that characters weren't good or bad. You had the people you rooted for but characters were three dimensional and good guys did bad things and the bad guys did good things. People were out for themselves but had their own moral codes.

I was sad when it ended. Just started reading King Rat by Clavell.

Associate
I was sad when it ended. Just started reading King Rat by Clavell.
That's a book I keep meaning to reread. Loved it when I read it 30 years ago when ill in the army. Finished it in a day and wanted to reread it immediately. Strange that some books have the power to ember themselves in your psyche.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
I just finished The 1982 Annual World's Best Sf, edited by Donald Wollheim. All sf short stories published in 1980/1.

Most were pretty good, with a couple excellent. As usual, the worst story was the longest one. Bah. Typical!

Last edited:
Soldato
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Enjoying this one. I'll definitely be going down a Reddit deep dive once finished haha!

Ah, my favourite author. I've got 20 or more of his books. That's one of his very fre novels, nearly everything else is short stories.

All of his early stuff is excellent. Dandelion Wine may well be my favourite book.

Associate
Book 4 has a fair few tie-ins to his other series
I'm just starting the lost metal. Other than the very recent books he's released I've read them all with the exception of White Sand. Think it's fair to say it has the least hype, very rarely see anything said about it so not sure whether it's worth reading it but I'll have to for my own sanity at this point

Associate
Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. I don't usually read books like this but he's an interesting guy, not sure I would consider his mentality always healthy but you get insights from his childhood why he is the way he is.

Associate
Just finished A Prayer for the Crown-Shy by Becky Chambers. It is the 2nd Novella in the Monk and Robot series and poses interesting ideas on what is intelligence and purpose. The premise is that robots on a planet become self aware, lay down tools and disappear into wilderness. 200 years later a human meets a robot who has one question for humanity - what do you need?

It is an easy chill read but does make you think in a different way.

Soldato
I finished "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie. Although on paper this has the potential to be my favourite of his novel I think it is the worst of the 5 I've read. Not enough actual narrative in the book to make it that interesting. A missed opportunity in my opinion considering some of his best written has been with the Northmen and battle scenes. A whole book dedicated to this should have been epic. Instead it was a disappointment.

However "Best Serves Cold" the book before "The Heroes" was exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom