What book are you reading...

I just finished Bosch book 5 (Trunk Music) and I'm nearly done with Reacher book 5 (Echo Burning) and I'm really enjoying them. I have one more Nick Stone in my library, but might drop them from my rotation.

Can anyone recommend any other series like Bosch and Reacher? Thanks.
the Lincoln lawyer is the cousin of Bosch same author.

Just finished Hell Bent by Leigh Bardugo. Very readable academic urban fantasy set in Yale and the secret societies that founded and still run the university. Very much an anti Harry Potter magical world where power is derived through demons living off human suffering and desperation.

Just finished Shogun. What a book! If you’ve seen the TV series then you know what to expect. Having seen the series myself, I was pleased it didn’t spoil the book in any way despite it being a faithful adaption. Shogun is one of very, very books in the last decade that I’ve not been able to put down. It’s a very easy read despite the labyrinthine Japanese politics at play. You even learn something of Japanese culture! A real education at times but I re-emphasise that Shogun is a very easy read that you will not regret picking up

I just finished Bosch book 5 (Trunk Music) and I'm nearly done with Reacher book 5 (Echo Burning) and I'm really enjoying them. I have one more Nick Stone in my library, but might drop them from my rotation.

You could try the Rebus series by Ian Rankin

The Prey series by John Sanford was enjoyable, with added bonus of the detective being a board gamer.

James Patterson's early books with Alex Cross are good, but quality dropped dramatically with his production line process. He has 200+ books to his name, with a lot of them co-written where others write most of the book and he adds his name.

Jo Nesbo's series with Harry Hole (pronounced Holy) are very good, as is Henning Mankell's Wallander series.

Just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Brilliant book. Slow burner which focusses more on characters than anything else but a very enjoyable read.
McMurty is one of my favourite authors. His details of the ending of the old west, in Any Thing For Billy and Buffalo Girls, still play in my head. Terms of Endearment is not a book I would normally pick up, but it has laugh out loud moments and some genuinely moving chapters.

Finally finished Harry Turtledove's Worldwar Books , took 30 years (not kidding).
The First 4 are interesting aliens invading earth in WW2 with real life characters making an appearance.
The next 3 where a bit of a slog set in the 60's .
and the final 1 set in the early 2000's ended with a whimper after setting the story up for a bit of nazi space revenge carnage that never happened.

Last edited:
Finished book 7 of Siege of Terra, after the 54 books of Horus Heresy. Just the 1 book left now! (which of course they split into 3 books because they didn't have enough pages in this story.

Siege of Terra has been mostly very good, there has been a little inconsistency between authors but that is to be expected. Mortis was the weakest but several of them (Saturnine and Echoes of Eternity in particular) were fantastic. I can't possibly see how they've got 3 books left considering how much of the story is left though! I need a break from Spess Muhreens after all this though :D

Just finished Hell Bent by Leigh Bardugo. Very readable academic urban fantasy set in Yale and the secret societies that founded and still run the university. Very much an anti Harry Potter magical world where power is derived through demons living off human suffering and desperation.
I have to check out some of her books, loved the Shadow and Bone tv show.

I finished Flashman's Lady by Greorge McDonald Fraser, yesterday.

Very similar to the others, but just as good. Lots of proper laugh out loud moments, mainly due to Flashy's appalling behaviour and language. He really is a rotter, but I can't help liking him.

Also, as usual, very good on historical accuracy for the setting.

I finished Quartered Safe Out Here, by George MacDonald Fraser, this morning.

It's his memoir of fighting in Burma during world war 2.

A very well-written and readable book.

I finished Brighton Rock, by Graham Greene, today.

Very good, but extremely grim and left me feeling dirty. The main character (Pinky) is spectacularly horrible, in every way.

I was amazed to see it is from the 1930s- it feels very modern.

Thought I would give "The Eye Of The World" (Robert Jordan) a try after watching the Wheel Of Time TV show.

Reserved at the library and after waiting ages turned up this week, so broke off a re-read of The Witcher books to make a start.

TBH about 60 pages in and I'm bored stiffless. Kind of reads like a low rent LOTR, drops you in this world which seems to take up pages and pages of prose but little in the way of action or setting the scene in a way that acquaints you with the world or generate empathy with the characters. In short, it seems very rambling and more than a little abstract. I see myself struggling to finish this book, let alone another 14 x 800 pages in similar style.

Who will convince me to perservere with it?

Back
Top Bottom