What book are you reading...

fez

fez

Caporegime
I wouldn't risk the kingkiller chronicle until the 3rd book is out if I were you. It's about a decade late so far! The first two books are amazing though.

Leave him alone! Hes got mental health issues! He doesn't owe us anything!

On the other hand, wheres my third ******* book Patrick :p

Associate
Just finished Death's End by Liu Cixin.

I loved the first book, the second had its moments, but this one, I don't have anything positive to say about it.
It was far, far, far too long, and that Fairy Tale in the middle!? I'm just glad it's over, I was too stubborn to give up.

2/10

Soldato
I generally don't start series until they're finished. Too many "authors" out there. Sanderson is pretty much my only exception

Now this I agree with you on. Erikson was also trustworthy, pretty much a machine turning out book after book. I decided with ASOIAF after reading book 1 and 2, i'd watch the TV series until completion thinking by the time it's done the book series will be completed, so as not to muddy the waters, in hindsight that was a great decision though not for the reason I anticipated.

The only way that gets finished is with involvement from Brandon Sanderson, a'la WOT.

Soldato
Just finished Cold Granite by Stuart McBride.
If you like crime fiction, then i would recommend this, really enjoyed it, and despite the subject matter, it had a few lol moments.

Soldato
I've just started "Night of the demons" by Christopher Artinian and it seems good. However, the banter between the newly introduced husband, wife and kids had me crying with laughter, which I didn't expect for a horror novel. I really hope he keeps that up.

Soldato
Given I have some ePubs that I'm happy to push onto a reader (not too worried about syncing) what do people recommend? Currently, I'm thinking of ordering a Kobo Clara Colour at £140.
I have had a few Kobo's, currently have a Kobo Libra H2O, really good imo. The Clara is the newest version so should be good but check reviews.
I also use Calibre as a book manager on my pc.
It can convert different formats, edit titles etc...

Soldato
I have had a few Kobo's, currently have a Kobo Libra H2O, really good imo.
Thanks. I have been using an Android Tablet so far and I'm wondering if I should just stick with that? I like the idea that a Kobo would be lighter, but it would also be smaller. Would a Kobo be better for the blue light before bed issue? (Play Books turns brown late at night, I assume to help with this)
I also use Calibre as a book manager on my pc.
Thanks, I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, so I guess I should look into it if I get an Reader.

I also saw that you can put ePubs onto a Kindle, so I should consider the Paperwhite perhaps?

Soldato
Thanks. I have been using an Android Tablet so far and I'm wondering if I should just stick with that? I like the idea that a Kobo would be lighter, but it would also be smaller. Would a Kobo be better for the blue light before bed issue? (Play Books turns brown late at night, I assume to help with this)

Thanks, I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, so I guess I should look into it if I get an Reader.

I also saw that you can put ePubs onto a Kindle, so I should consider the Paperwhite perhaps?
It will be smaller than a tablet but as you said it will be much lighter.
I also have a magnetic cover on it, so I just close the cover and it goes asleep.
My kobo has a faint yellow glow, but I have the brightness turned down to 15%.
I do a lot of reading at bed time and never has a problem caused ny the light.
Calibre is really good for adding books to the kobo. It can also convert kindle format (azw) to epub or mobi.
It's all I ever use, I never use the kobo library or shop.
I have never had a Kindle, I prefer kobo as it seems to be a more open platform

Last edited:
Soldato
So I was kinda leaning back towards I just use my tablet... then I went to Amazon for something and noticed my basket (with the Kobo Color in) had dropped by £20... oh... well, go on then! Placed an order, we'll see how I like it. Thanks.

I'll check Calibre out now.

Soldato
Almost finished The Eye Of The World (WOT1), about 90 pages left. After the shaky start it did pick up nicely, particularly once the company split up en route to Caemlyn.

Currently in the section where they are negotiating the "Way" passages which seems to borrow significantly from JRR's Moria. Loail has rapidly become one of my favourite characters, more so than in the TV show though again his ponderous and "unhasty" manner does seem to be derived from Treebeard.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the book(s) is that you are dropped in a world where very little of the culture or belief system or mysticism is fully explained. Even the brief appendix at the back doesn't elucidate all that much.

Still enjoyed it enough to grab Book 2 from the library earlier so probably start that later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom