What book are you reading...

Just finished Dark Rising - Grieg Beck
When a sudden burst of radiation is detected beneath the desert in Iran, the world’s spy agencies are immediately on alert. Alex Hunter, code name Arcadian, and his elite incursion team are dropped into the ruins of Persepolis. There they find an underground facility but nothing else – no weapons, no scientists – nothing to explain the gamma spike. It is as if a black hole has swept everything away . . . Meanwhile, Israel is threatening nuclear war, and the details of America’s Arcadian program have been stolen. And someone – or something – is draining the fluids from the bodies of Iranian soldiers in the desert. If a black hole had taken everything, could something possibly have come back? When another radiation ‘event’ occurs in Iran, it is clear that something extraordinary is happening. Something that has been warned of in ancient prophecies. Alex must follow the traces of radiation to the ancient caves of Arak. In these tunnels, he will come face to face with his darkest nightmares. The clock is ticking down to what is told to be the end of the world and the ultimate judgement of humankind

I know its scifi, but he starts the audio boo talking about experiments, theoretical physics. I wish the books stayed more inline with are understanding of science.
Its exciting enough, but very simple language/story
7/10

Next is either the last in the Mangolaid series or the 5th Harry Bosch book.

Well almost at the end of the most recent Dresden book :(

Got a few choices on what to start next;

Jo Nesbo
Charles Bukowski series that starts with Post Office
Adrian Tchaikovsky
Isaac Asimov (maybe the robot series)
Some classics (modern and old)

Leaning toward Jo Nesbo but if anyone has any suggestions I'll listen.

I will teach you to be rich - Ramit Sethi

I tend to like reading books where i can learn something rather than fiction novels, seems strange but i'm quite reading a textbook over a fantasy novel. I can never get into them which is a shame

After enjoying Way of Kings, I think I might properly give Mistborn a try now. I am not really a fantasy fan tbh, but I thought WOK seems like a really good start to a series.

Also gonna pick up the paperback edition of A Dance With Dragons at some point, as supposedly it has a really good preview chapter in it!

Well almost at the end of the most recent Dresden book :(

Got a few choices on what to start next;

Jo Nesbo
Charles Bukowski series that starts with Post Office
Adrian Tchaikovsky
Isaac Asimov (maybe the robot series)
Some classics (modern and old)

If you haven' started one already, go for the Foundation series by Asimov!

Need to finish 'the invisible man' it's a good book but I just haven't found enough time to read it in any great speed. Nearly two months and I'm only 75% of the way through. There's only 150 pages lol. I'll probably finish it off today though as I'm going to dedicate today to reading rather than anything else. Then I can get started on part 2 of dance with Dragons. Or maybe I'll quickly put women by bukowski in before that. I always seem to race through his works.

Hmmm, 20 days later and I still have 25 pages to read lol. Right that's it, off to bed I go to finish this damned book. It's not even that it isn't good with a decent story, it is both of those things so I really don't know why I'm finding it so hard to finish :/

Read the first Nesbo book, was very good.

Read We, roundly thought of as a good book and a pre-cursor to 1984. It was guff, very poorly waiting.

Reading Shadow and Betrayal by Daniel Abraham at the mo, started relatively slow but hoping it will pick up soon.

Just started The Blade Itself from the First Law Trilogy, not too bad so far :)

I'm nearly finished it - I think its pretty good. I don't want to say it's a poor man's Game of Thrones, but it kind of is! Having said that, I'm going to read the next one cos the series has got potential.

Finally got round to reading Gaunts Ghost. Ive bought the three omnibus last year and never touched them. Started last night and I have to say dan abnett doesn't disappoint.
Ive read up to "Know No Fear" in Horus Heresy series but kinda go burned out as they just started to just drag on.

It's a good series but goes off a cliff toward the end, around Knows No Fear it goes terrible.

The character development ceases, stories are flimsy and potholes are huge. Thankfully the last one is out next year, I'll read it for closure but after a great start its limping toward the end.

It's a good series but goes off a cliff toward the end, around Knows No Fear it goes terrible.

The character development ceases, stories are flimsy and potholes are huge. Thankfully the last one is out next year, I'll read it for closure but after a great start its limping toward the end.

Really the last one is out next year, I think ive come too far to give the series up totally ill get back to it when there near to releasing the last one.

Just read the Psalms of Isaak quartet by Ken Coles.....FUUUUUUU it's a quintet and the last book isn't out until next year :p

Enjoyed it, the 3rd book was a little slow and the 4th book while kicking things up a notch and explaining a lot, you can definitely tell there was a 5th on the way to wrap it all up :p Definitely a series to read from start to finish also, the later books assume you have read the prior ones.

Oh also read London Falling - Paul Cornell. Reminded me of Neverwhere but grittier and more real. Worth a read and I think it will end up as a series.

Last edited:
I'm reading "Predator" by Patricia Cornwell. One of the worst books I have read in a very long time, in the past 25+ years I have read hundreds of novels of which the number I have given up on could be counted on the fingers of one hand - and this may well require another finger.

The plot is just weird, the characters are terrible, and her writing style grates with me. It's kinda written in a third person, current tense style so instead of "I wait for him to finish" or "Karen waited for him to finish" it is "She waits for him to finish".

I've been signed off work until the end of the year practically, so I'm digging into toughies:

Why does E=MC^2 and why should be care - Brian Cox

How to Teach Relativity to your Dog - Chad Orzel

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin

I'm supposed to be being productive and reading this:
Unity 3.X Game Development Essentials - Will Goldstone

but often I just end up continuing to read this:
Ash - James Herbert

:D

Back
Top Bottom