What book are you reading...

Currently reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I really enjoyed the previous 4 books by Abercombie so was looking forward to reading this one. It is good, but at the same time it is annoyingly frustrating that all of the Union commanders are portrayed as being completely incompetent. I was hoping for some good tactical battles, some twists and turns with each side outwitting the other, but it's just one stupid Union decision after another. Not quite got to the end, but hope it's decent.

Reading the Daniel Abraham books Shaow of Betrayal series after it got written up as one of the better fantasy series out there. Really not seeing it, distinctly average so far and struggling to finish.

So I'm already 150 pages into dance with dragons part 2. Taken all of 3 days, and yet it took me nearly 2 months to read The Invisible Man which is also 150 pages.

I'm not sure if that means I didn't much care for The Invisible Man, or I just really really like A Song of Ice and Fire. Probably a bit of both I suppose.

Ive read all the simon scarrow books (ones about macro and cato) (2 soldiers during romes conquering days) -
They are Great IMO ... not the best dont get me wrong. But quite enjoyable. Whats nice is that there are a whole bunch of them so if you really get into the characters; you got another one too keep the story going.

Still working my way through this series, after a recommendation in this very thread.

Trunk Music: Harry Bosch Series, Book 5
Back on the job after an involuntary leave of absence, LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch is ready for a challenge. But his first case is a little more than he bargained for. It starts with the body of a Hollywood producer in the trunk of a Rolls-Royce, shot twice in the head at close range - what looks like "trunk music", a Mafia hit.
But the LAPD's organized crime unit is curiously uninterested, and when Harry follows a trail of gambling debts to Las Vegas, the case suddenly becomes more complex - and much more personal. A rekindled romance with an old girlfriend opens new perspectives on the murder, and he begins to glimpse a shocking triangle of corruption and collusion. Yanked off the case, Harry himself is soon the one being investigated. But only a bullet can stop Harry when he's searching for the truth.

Still working my way through this series, after a recommendation in this very thread.

Trunk Music: Harry Bosch Series, Book 5

Glad you are liking them, there are some other Michael Connelly books as well.
I would also try the Mickey Haller series of books, (iirc there was a movie of one of them called the Lincoln Lawyer), Harry makes an appearance in most of these as well, and if you read them you will find out why ;)
Also try out The Poet, it was the very first Connelly book i read and it is excellent.

Currently 1/2 way through the last book of The First Law trilogy, really enjoying this series.
@molinari, what are the follow on books like?

Slowly working my way through A Game of Thrones, onto book 3 part 2 and about half way through now, all I can say is finally, he best not be bloody teasing me either!

Just finished Last Light by Alex Scarrow :eek:

The stupid conspiracy theory stuff was both boring and cliche but the breakdown of society and the way it all unravelled :eek: really terrifying stuff and a real page turner. Conspiracy stuff aside, great book!

Reading Picture of Dorian Grey now.

David Copperfield. Reading it as bedtime story to my two year old. We're about 43 pages in of the 1019 in the online version :)
Seriously?! And how is your 2yo enjoying that...?

Just about to start Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman.
This is on my xmas list :D

Currently reading Simon Mawer's 'The Girl Who Fell From The Sky'.

After that I have Khaled Hosseni's 'And The Mountains Echoed', which I have high hopes for after the magnificence of 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.
I alos bought the first 2 books of 'IQ84' and then discovered that I already had all three. I haven't started either copy yet.

I have a huge backlog of kindle books to read. Recently bought 2 of the Game of Thrones books for 99p and the Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Currently working my way through the Narnia series as they have been on my shelf for a while. Following that i'll start on the LOTR trilogy.

Finally finished Wheel of Time. I genuinely thought that would never happen!

Sanderson's writing is appalling, but he did a great job in terms of the storyline so I won't complain too much. For such a huge series, the ending is actually good, which is pretty impressive!

Finally finished Wheel of Time. I genuinely thought that would never happen!

Sanderson's writing is appalling, but he did a great job in terms of the storyline so I won't complain too much. For such a huge series, the ending is actually good, which is pretty impressive!

I actually quite like Sanderson's writing. Think he did a really good job of finishing the series off.

Rather embarrassingly enjoying the Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child. Plots full of holes & some very thin plots at that. They remind me of the old spaghetti westerns in a lot of ways, just turn the brain off & read on.....it's fun.

Back
Top Bottom